Notices

Mitsubishi ASX/RVR/Outlander Sport

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi ASX/RVR/Outlander Sport

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my build for the asx/rvr/outlander sport enthousiast here !
Im From Canada, 28 years hold and i'm a car enthousiast. I always liked the look of the RVR ( canadian name) that why i traded my 2009 manual lancer gts for the RVR.
I bought the car brand new as a stock SE manual in 2013 and here are the things i did to the car since then :

Mitsubishi ASX/RVR/Outlander Sport-20140311_183254.jpg
Mags : 18 inches DAĻ autobahn wheels
Tires : 235/50/18 Sailun Atrezzo Z4+AS
Mitsubishi ASX/RVR/Outlander Sport-20140409_184020.jpg
Suspension : Kido Coilovers
Mitsubishi ASX/RVR/Outlander Sport-20170414_195542.jpgMitsubishi ASX/RVR/Outlander Sport-20170415_145913_resized.jpgMitsubishi ASX/RVR/Outlander Sport-20170415_125925_resized.jpg
Strut Brace : DC sport
Audio : front and rear speakers with subwoofers
Lighting : Starks h11 led kit and yellow 55 w for fog lights.
Mitsubishi ASX/RVR/Outlander Sport-20170506_223844.jpg
Engine : INGEN SRI SP series

So far here how it looks :
Mitsubishi ASX/RVR/Outlander Sport-20170424_194312.jpgMitsubishi ASX/RVR/Outlander Sport-20170424_194216.jpg
Im planing to add more parts in the future ill be sure to upload the photo's.
Hope you like my build !

Last edited by EvoZant; May 17, 2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Freakin' sweet!
Love those wheels and the stance is perfect.

Welcome to the forum!
Old May 18, 2017, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Welcome to our community and keep us posted with the new modifications.
You did a really nice job, congratulations. I must admit my priorities are different (e.g. I really value the 8.5" ground clearance and the tall sidewalls for the stock 16" tires) but I really like the look of your ride regardless.
Should you ever need your ETACS programmed, I am happy to do it for you as you may live close to me.

I have the first question for you and it concerns primarily Canadians (or those who have or want DRLs, daytime running lights). Your trim (with H11 halogen bulbs for low beams) uses the same bulbs for DRL (mandatory in Canada) just with lower intensity via modulation (rapidly and periodically turning on and off the 12V supply).
How did you solve the likely flickering problem with the LEDs when only the DRLs are on?
If you have not done anything the lifetime of your LED bulbs will significantly be shortened. The same problem/issue occurs when installing HIDs in systems like ours. For our fellow forum members from the States, our Canadian GT trims (with the HID headlights) come with an independent DRL that is placed in the fog light house as a second bulb to avoid this problem and preserve legality (as fog lights are only supposed to be used in fog). Go to (3:41 in this video to see it work)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKPrpRawZNQ

The differences between the fog light houses are shown in the attached images for reference. Obviously, the smaller bulb is for the DRL.

I am curious, whether EvoZant has added a capacitor to increase the time constant of the modulation (smoothing out the voltage fluctuation) or he pulled the DRL fuse and wired the DRLs as the fog lights; or he used the GT fog light house and programmed the ETACS to have DRLs from the fog house. The DRL/fog light house with the twin bulb assembly is only available as an OEM package ( MZ380376EX) and quite pricey.

EvoZant, your experience and feedback would be appreciated in this matter.
Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi ASX/RVR/Outlander Sport-fogs_drls.jpg   Mitsubishi ASX/RVR/Outlander Sport-fog_drl_bulbs.jpg  
Old May 19, 2017, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AWCAWD
If you have not done anything the lifetime of your LED bulbs will significantly be shortened.
not just LED - i used to own an '05 Subaru Legacy GT that used the low beams as DRL's (just less bright) and i changed bulbs often. if you ever see them on the road, many times they have a headlight out.

bought some nice European OSRAM Silverstars, and they lasted 3 months. used cheaper ones from then on, and got about 6-12 months out of them.
Old May 19, 2017, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
not just LED - i used to own an '05 Subaru Legacy GT that used the low beams as DRL's (just less bright) and i changed bulbs often. if you ever see them on the road, many times they have a headlight out.

bought some nice European OSRAM Silverstars, and they lasted 3 months. used cheaper ones from then on, and got about 6-12 months out of them.
Thanks. I have such modulated DRL that uses the same halogen bulb and they are just fine after 4 and a half years. In fact, I did not have a single, incandescent bulb burnt yet. Lately, we mostly drive the car on short trips doing errands in (and sometimes around) the city that involves frequent stops and restarts. HIDs and LEDs as DRL-low beam combos (even if they are equipped with capacitors or load resistors, respectively) would destined to be short lived and for this reason I dropped them as viable replacements to halogens. It might be a better scenario if one can work out the independent DRL and low beam option. I would love to hear from those ( including the OP), who did the conversion to either LED or HID, how long the bulbs did last. The honeymoon period (namely the increased light output) ends quickly if one is bothered by frequent replacements.
Old May 19, 2017, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AWCAWD
Thanks. I have such modulated DRL that uses the same halogen bulb and they are just fine after 4 and a half years. In fact, I did not have a single, incandescent bulb burnt yet. Lately, we mostly drive the car on short trips doing errands in (and sometimes around) the city that involves frequent stops and restarts. HIDs and LEDs as DRL-low beam combos (even if they are equipped with capacitors or load resistors, respectively) would destined to be short lived and for this reason I dropped them as viable replacements to halogens. It might be a better scenario if one can work out the independent DRL and low beam option. I would love to hear from those ( including the OP), who did the conversion to either LED or HID, how long the bulbs did last. The honeymoon period (namely the increased light output) ends quickly if one is bothered by frequent replacements.

in my case, the projector housings supposedly did not dissipate heat well, either, so double whammy on that car.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys,
I'm very new to Mitsu & just bought a 2012 RVR GT for my wife. I am actually picking it up tonight but the one I bought has the fog lights cracked which I was not ooo concerned about (replace at a later date) but I'm wondering if you are saying the DRL's are part of the fog lights perhaps I will not be able to pass the saftey inspection if the DRL's are not working? I assumed the DRL's were the top LED strip above the HID part of the headlights - is that not the case?
Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stevedask
Hey Guys,
I'm very new to Mitsu & just bought a 2012 RVR GT for my wife. I am actually picking it up tonight but the one I bought has the fog lights cracked which I was not ooo concerned about (replace at a later date) but I'm wondering if you are saying the DRL's are part of the fog lights perhaps I will not be able to pass the saftey inspection if the DRL's are not working? I assumed the DRL's were the top LED strip above the HID part of the headlights - is that not the case?
Thanks
Hi, and welcome.
Your 2012 GT model (that has HID low beam headlights) is wired to have its DRLs in the fog light. The DRL bulb though is a separate one from the fog light (there are two bulbs in the fog light assembly). If you want to keep this you have to buy an exact same fog light (it is way more rare than the ones are in the SE models) assembly. I suspect you only have limited sources for replacement:
1. Buying the OEM unit from the dealership (pricey),
2. Try to find a wrecked GT model (2011-2015(?)) and get it from there, or
3. Buy an angel eye/fog light assembly off ebay (wire the angel eye as DRL and the central bulb as the regular fog light. Few examples without recommendation or preference, just examples:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fog-Lights-...RZcBpq&vxp=mtr
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mitsubishi-ASX-2011-2017-LED-Angel-Eyes-Daytime-Running-Light-Fog-lamp/182470748216?fits=Make%3AMitsubishi%7CModel%3AASX& hash=item2a7c1aa838:gK0AAOSwTuJYs5kI&vxp=mtr
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superb-COB-...RYP9s-&vxp=mtr
Or this that may require some bracket work:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-3-5-RGB-....c100706.m4781

The remedies for cracked fog lights were extensively discussed here (just use the advanced search option). They include, replacing the front glass only, putting a protective film or metal mesh if I remember well.

I wish you good luck and joy in driving your (new) RVR.