Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS 50 Trim step-by-step install pics....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kmcconn9
what ar e the various torque specs for the manifold/other bolts/nuts?

This should help somewhat
Old Jul 29, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
/\ awsome!

Did your 50 trim come with nraided water lines as well?
Old Jul 29, 2006, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

/\ awsome!

Did your 50 trim come with nraided water lines as well?
no just braided oil lines, the water lines are regular coolant hoses
Old Jul 29, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

interesting, wonder why they are not hard lines...

And are there any downfalls to using regular coolant hoses vs, hard lines? Other than the soft lines getting to close to the turbo?
Old Jul 29, 2006, 06:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And are there any downfalls to using regular coolant hoses vs, hard lines? Other than the soft lines getting to close to the turbo?
The factory turbo uses regular coolant hose to connect the hard lines to the water pipe and the coolant outlet. Braided SS lines can not be used because it would be impossible to seal them at the factory connection points on the motor. Due to the placement of the turbo in the AMS kit and the routing of the lines, there is not an issue with using regular coolant hose in this area.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec240
The factory turbo uses regular coolant hose to connect the hard lines to the water pipe and the coolant outlet. Braided SS lines can not be used because it would be impossible to seal them at the factory connection points on the motor. Due to the placement of the turbo in the AMS kit and the routing of the lines, there is not an issue with using regular coolant hose in this area.
I understand how the stock system works, but I have seen that ams, turbo trix, rnr, and atp all use stainless briaded coolant lines....

I was just wondering if you use regular coolant hose, would there be any issues..like with the br3065 kit for example?

After about 2 hours of searching I came up with this solution for the coolant lines..

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=FTG

thoughts?

Last edited by kmcconn9; Jul 29, 2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 07:17 PM
Former Sponsor

I understand how the stock system works, but I have seen that ams, turbo trix, rnr, and atp all use stainless briaded coolant lines....

I was just wondering if you use regular coolant hose, would there be any issues..like with the br3065 kit for example?

After about 2 hours of searching I came up with this solution for the coolant lines..

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=FTG

thoughts?
We use a banjo fitting almost identical to that currently in our kits. It provides a great seal for standard coolant hose but if you try to put braided steel over that or the factory nipples you will end up with a leak. Its very hard to tighten up a worm clamp over braided ss line and get a good seal.

We have never had an issue with coolant hoses melting, burning, or leaking when installed and routed properly. We have currently sold well over 100 Evo turbo kits since their release.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

9sec240 just curious are you with ams or a different shop. If not where are you located.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

I'm basically done with my install....have tons of pics of each step which I'll post later....I must say I'm proud of myself doing the install myself

I'm gonna slap on the AMS TBE tomorrow and I should be ready to fire the car up...
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gashero
9sec240 just curious are you with ams or a different shop. If not where are you located.
www.turbo240.com .AMS side project.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gashero
Yes sir, I work for AMS
Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec240
Yes sir, I work for AMS

9Sec

I also have a set of precision 1000cc injectors as well which I plan to install. I am also running an AEM EMS... would you be able to help me configure the AEM to run those 1000cc injectors till I get my car tuned?

worse comes to worse I'll drive with just my stock injectors and stay out of boost till I get tuned locally...
Old Jul 30, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

This is a great write-up! Very informative and your pictures and captions make this daunting tasks for a mechanically declined person as myself, understand the concept.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Now on with the rest of the install....

(above) Installing the radiator slim fan to the stock radiator...using the supplied nylon mounting screws

(above) just stick them thru the radiator following the instructions and clip the nylon threads after you pop the locking caps on

(above) These are all the tools you'll need to connect the OEM fan connector to the slim fan, soldering iron, solder, electrical tape, wire stripper and the oem connector....use care when soldering as you can burn yourself bad with the iron!

(above) the end result will look like this, wrap the soldered part with elctrical tape..

(above) here are the coolant lines and the oil feed lines connected

(above) the LICP passes real close to the front lower motor mount but doesn't make any contact. I have the Buschur F & R mounts in place so the Engine wont sway

(above) another view, same description as above

(above) The LICP comes close to that rubber A/C line....just get a zip tie and zip tie it out of the way

(above) here I was wondering if the oil return line will even reach the oil pan

(above) yes it reaches, but the line is slightly crimped, I was worried about the crimped line but it should be ok since the oil feed line is way smaller in diameter

(above) same description as above

Everything coming together

Everything getting positioned the way I like it

LICP clearance 1

LICP clearance 2
Old Jul 30, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

the start-up video

exhaust rumble

Quick Reply: AMS 50 Trim step-by-step install pics....