Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Bosch 044, Aeromotive Stealth 340, Deatschwerks DW300, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump Test

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you tested the flow of a modified Walbro with the relief valve punched in?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
how many amps does the stock wiring provide?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No I haven't. That never seemed like a good idea to me.

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Have you tested the flow of a modified Walbro with the relief valve punched in?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe it's not recommended by walbro but people have been doing it forever. I'd also like to see a twin walbro kit in the comparison since it's the most popular 500+awhp solution
Old Aug 1, 2011, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

This is very interesting i might consider the aero 340, But which would be better with stock regulator and OE wiring i see there are alot of wiring questions already as to if it provides enough amps and current
Old Aug 1, 2011, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Racing
maybe it's not recommended by walbro but people have been doing it forever. I'd also like to see a twin walbro kit in the comparison since it's the most popular 500+awhp solution
I'm sure AMS would be happy to tell you where to buy the system to test fuel pumps
Old Aug 1, 2011, 09:43 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
I'm sure AMS would be happy to tell you where to buy the system to test fuel pumps
I'm sure they would, we're an AMS dealer.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

What about the FullBlown 340lph?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Here is an older series of tests conducted by AMS.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...pump-test.html

The plot showing the flow rates is missing, but updated plots are listed later in the thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post4345625
Old Aug 2, 2011, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't even know that Full blown made a 340lph pump.. Anyone want to send me one to test?

As for the twin pump flow testing, that was all done a long time ago on a different test rig but the information is out there.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 04:25 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Great info--THANK YOU for sharing! I still don't understand why the eff Aeromotive reversed the polarity on the pump--for making a Walbro-255-esque replacement this seems like a foolish mistake.

I have been very happy with my uber-quiet DW300 on my X, never whines like my walbro did on all of my previous cars. It wasn't enough for my setup though and in planning I thought it would be.

Just curious, can your testing rig run at higher than 14v? I have a BAP on my DW300 and curious how all of these pumps perform at higher voltage against each other....
Old Aug 8, 2011, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

On the newer Aeromotive 340 pumps I believe they switched the polarity back to normal. But don't quote me on that.

My rig can go higher than 14v but its all taken apart and wont be setup again until a new generation of pumps comes along to be tested.

Originally Posted by scheides
Great info--THANK YOU for sharing! I still don't understand why the eff Aeromotive reversed the polarity on the pump--for making a Walbro-255-esque replacement this seems like a foolish mistake.

I have been very happy with my uber-quiet DW300 on my X, never whines like my walbro did on all of my previous cars. It wasn't enough for my setup though and in planning I thought it would be.

Just curious, can your testing rig run at higher than 14v? I have a BAP on my DW300 and curious how all of these pumps perform at higher voltage against each other....
Old Aug 8, 2011, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not to sidetrack in an AMS forum area, but I did a quickie plot for a Dual Walbro in MS Paint using the data in this other thread for comparison.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...flow-test.html

I'll post a link if Scott is ok with the photochop.

While it does much better than a single pump at low to mid pressures, if you are running mad boost it's barely equal to the Aeromotive 340. This was dual INTERNAL pumps which usually start bleeding pressure at 80+ psi where as dual EXTERNAL pumps would hold better on the top end. I guess at that point you could run a Dual Bosch or something but I can definitely see why people have one pump cycle off at lower pressures with a hobbs boost switch or MAF airflow signal on dual pump setups.

I like the idea of sticking with a single pump if possible, the thought of one pump failing in a twin setup makes me cringe. At least if it fails on a single pump (barring partial failure) the car will just stop moving.

Last edited by Hiboost; Aug 8, 2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Im a big fan of single pump systems also for the exact same reason. As far as posting up a graph keep in mind its kind of the same idea as comparing different shops dyno numbers. There are always variables that will make them slightly different. But go ahead I am always up for more information!

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Not to sidetrack in an AMS forum area, but I did a quickie plot for a Dual Walbro in MS Paint using the data in this other thread for comparison.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...flow-test.html

I'll post a link if Scott is ok with the photochop.

While it does much better than a single pump at low to mid pressures, if you are running mad boost it's barely equal to the Aeromotive 340. I guess at that point you could run a Dual Bosch or something. I can definitely see why people have one pump cycle off at lower pressures with a hobbs boost switch or MAF airflow signal on dual pump setups.

I like the idea of sticking with a single pump if possible, the thought of one pump failing in a twin setup makes me cringe. At least if it fails on a single pump (barring partial failure) the car will just stop moving.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
Im a big fan of single pump systems also for the exact same reason. As far as posting up a graph keep in mind its kind of the same idea as comparing different shops dyno numbers. There are always variables that will make them slightly different. But go ahead I am always up for more information!
Figured it was better to ask first.

My previous Evo X had Dual Walbro externals feeding off a fuel surge tank so they likely flowed slightly better from 80psi+ due to no bypass valve on the internal pumps opening up on a double pumper setup. Since boost won't be going over 32-35 psi anyway it probably doesn't really factor in.

So like Scott said, take the direct comparisons with a grain of salt since they were gathered with two different setups and I just eyeballed the data plots for the Dual Walbro internal setup based on the data from the other shop in their chart. Still, it might give you a rough idea of what a dual pump setup can do, seems like a dual Bosch would be similar on the bottem end but deliver more up top. Most people would be comparing the 70-80 psi area since that is 27-37 psi boost from the turbo (assuming 43 psi base fuel pressure).

Last edited by Hiboost; Aug 8, 2011 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Bosch 044, Aeromotive Stealth 340, Deatschwerks DW300, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump Test