Notices

Owners of 2003 Lancers!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2004, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Owners of 2003 Lancers!

Hi all,
i've recently received a letter from Mitsubishi Morors North America, regarding a service campaign to correct a problem in our 2002-2003 Lancers and 2003-2004 Outlanders. This issue is about our cooling fan controllers that may cause our engines to overheat.

I want to know if any of our fellow EvoM members in Canada have received this letter. In fact i am quite disappointed that our lancers constantly have problems... I thought Mitsubishis are reliable...

First, our trannies... Now our engines. WHAT'S NEXT!?
Old Oct 15, 2004, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
trannies? I haven't heard of any tranny problems but I also got that letter for a fan controller. Consider yourself luckily you don't have a sunfire. When "chassis tends to separate when braking" is an actual complaint you know you have a problem.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 08:22 PM

cih has received regarding the fan recall but I haven't.

I didn't know anything about tranny problem. So far, my lancer has never given me any problem....knock on wood.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

No tanny problems with the Lancers. I believe this was with the EVO. Forgive me if I am wrong.
I got the letter for the fan controller and am going in on Tuesday to get this fixed. Mistu is very reliable, check out the recalls on other cars. Ford, Dodge, Chevy etc..........
Old Oct 16, 2004, 06:34 PM

Yep I got that letter too...
Old Oct 16, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

yep got it aswell
Old Oct 16, 2004, 08:29 PM

well, i don't know if you guys here got the auto 2003, cuz there's always this transmission flare when i try to maintain speed around 30-40 km/h... the tranny just doesn't know if it should shift to 3rd gear or stay at 2nd gear. That's why i get this huge jerk when the tranny shifts from 2nd gear, then you can feel you are gasing on nothing (while revving to 3000-4000 rpm by normally gasing -- maintaining the same speed), and it shifts to third gear. So i felt the tranny shifts from 2nd to neutral and to 3rd, causing a huge jerk. This jerk feels like someone has collided with me from the rear... but everytime i look back to my rear mirror, i see nothing there.

i've brought my car both to markham and cooksville mitsu, and cooksville 'claimed' they've fixed up the transmission flare by changing some part (which i didn't even get a receipt), and markham didn't know what to do about it after i brought it back 3 times. Unfortunately i still get it constantly... leaving me in a very frustrated situation, and a total disappointment from the quality of Mitsubishi. I thought and knew Mitsubishi had the same level of quality as Toyota, Honda, and Subaru. But this is when i was back in Hong Kong 9 years ago... i just didn't expect the quality of Mitsubishi in North America would be THAT differentiated.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:01 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donduck
Hi all,
i've recently received a letter from Mitsubishi Morors North America, regarding a service campaign to correct a problem in our 2002-2003 Lancers and 2003-2004 Outlanders. This issue is about our cooling fan controllers that may cause our engines to overheat.

I want to know if any of our fellow EvoM members in Canada have received this letter. In fact i am quite disappointed that our lancers constantly have problems... I thought Mitsubishis are reliable...

Actually the recall record for the Lancer is quite good, the fan controller is the only recall for the '03 Lancers, I phone Mitsu and they say my '03 lancer is not affected, it only affects a certain batch of '03s.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:09 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

well, i don't know if you guys here got the auto 2003, cuz there's always this transmission flare when i try to maintain speed around 30-40 km/h... the tranny just doesn't know if it should shift to 3rd gear or stay at 2nd gear. That's why i get this huge jerk when the tranny shifts from 2nd gear, then you can feel you are gasing on nothing (while revving to 3000-4000 rpm by normally gasing -- maintaining the same speed), and it shifts to third gear. So i felt the tranny shifts from 2nd to neutral and to 3rd, causing a huge jerk. This jerk feels like someone has collided with me from the rear... but everytime i look back to my rear mirror, i see nothing there.

i've brought my car both to markham and cooksville mitsu, and cooksville 'claimed' they've fixed up the transmission flare by changing some part (which i didn't even get a receipt), and markham didn't know what to do about it after i brought it back 3 times. Unfortunately i still get it constantly... leaving me in a very frustrated situation, and a total disappointment from the quality of Mitsubishi. I thought and knew Mitsubishi had the same level of quality as Toyota, Honda, and Subaru. But this is when i was back in Hong Kong 9 years ago... i just didn't expect the quality of Mitsubishi in North America would be THAT differentiated.
The jerk your getting is the torque converter engaging at @40km which is normal in the auto tranny, remember the Lancer has much more low end torque than the Civic or the Corolla.

From a Quality stand point, the Lancer is the only true totally "Made in Japan" car in this size category, Civics and Corollas are made here in Brampton or in the US. Base on my professional opinion on the quality of fit and finish, the Lancer's quality is close to Toyota's, but not quite there yet.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is some more info on the recall:
http://www.lancernation.net/viewtopic.php?p=10924#10924

Not a big deal overall
Old Oct 17, 2004, 05:33 PM

Sell it.

Friendly advice, if you don't have confidence with your car and the brand anymore.........Sell it!

You might want a Mazda 3, which I honestly think is the sharpest looking amongst the Japanese competitors. But it's older brother Protege 5 has had more tranny problems. And my best friend who has it (3) is having problems with the power steering and the rear brakes since he picked it up four months ago.

I'm sure its also case to case basis. Every single car might behave differently from another.

It would be hard for you to see your car everyday and drive it if you don't like it anymore. That's frustrating and bothersome. Don't get paranoid with the car, just focus on solving the problem. Or, sell it!

jing
Old Oct 17, 2004, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's just a fan switch...not really a big deal. I wouldn't go so far as to say there's a problem with the engine.

Originally Posted by WindsorLancer
Yep I got that letter too...
I got a call from my dealer that the Evo is also subject to the same warranty.

Emre
Old Oct 18, 2004, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Go and buy the Mazda 3 which is based on the ford focus??????
Old Oct 18, 2004, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Mazdas are basically just better made fords now a days. Hell the old Mazda B Trucks were just rebadged Ford Rangers, they were even made in exactly the same plants on the same assembly lines. All companies are beginning to make their cars in America or Canada. With some of them its just a matter of luck in getting a Japanese made one.