Notices

~~~ PROJECT SMART BURN - practice run

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 06:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
~~~ PROJECT SMART BURN - practice run

I have hammered and welded the last bolt on the MK2 Dual Exhaust and I am looking to test the fuel economy for a short 30km trip and back (A to B then B to A)

I am looking for

A) 1 5speed who is easy on the gas to ask as our baseline
B) 1 CVT GTS stock or 1 CVT GTS with intake upgrade (either will do)
C) 1 CVT GTS with an exhaust upgrade perferebly a RRM bolt on.

The objective is for the MK2 exhaust on my car + Custom SRI to provide a 10 - 15% fuel economy over the others.

The method is described in the PROJECT SMART BURN https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=308196

"I have already prepared my method. 4 cars will complete a trip between gas stations 30km from A to B with one configuration and then B to A with a swap of car configurations. Cars will be prepped, fully fuelled and rolled out at the same time, then will travel the full distance to the end point, refuel to full tank and compare Fuel loss in take." What this is going to cost you? You will be required to fill your tank. so if your like me and some of my friends, then you know its gonna hurt. But we will be turning only a little bit of fuel from your tank, maybe 8 dollars max worth. This is the dry run to the bigger longer test. But the results should show up right away from this test. Looking for someone who has a good camera SLR with good sound capture quality and a steady hand to film a driving and record the results which will be posted online. refueling will be performed by a elected person on the spot to keep the results clean at the pump refuelling each car. The road will be Hwy 7 most likely Markham to Vaughen and back. if anyone has a better road in mind I am all ears. But Hwy 7 is a good combo of a high speed city road situation with stops and goes alot the way to keep the results inline with real world conditions and not just highway coasting.

Reward?
1. Getting your name up here for being a bit help.
2. Invite to a get together at my place in Feb for a beer and BBQ thing in the garage! Hey its Costco steak, good stuff! lol
3. You get a big "I owe you one" from me.

When: December 16th on a Sunday probably semi late evening like 8 or 9 when the road is dead and not much traffic. Fall back date is the 22nd Saturday. The wish is to do this with no snow on the ground.

Let me know?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey evosoul, if you still need a RRM intake guy, i can do it.

although i can already tell you what's the fuel milage on RRM intake w/ and w/out it.

msg razo; he's the white DE with 5 speed and he's always free when it comes to car stuff.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 08:52 AM
Former Sponsor

your in, just need another car but it must be with a upgraded exhaust, perfering a RRM bolt on.

if you got any contacts you can confirm via the phone let me know. We will need a camera man to make a full length video.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:16 AM

just curious.. does the RRM SRI actually increase fuel mileage?
Old Dec 8, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

yea, saves you $2~3 whenever you fill a full tank of gas. i did my homework and kept track of my kms and my esso receipts.

evosoul how much gas will we be burning for the test? if it's somewhere over 10 bucks im out (but i can lend you the SRI still)
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:11 AM

just wondering.. how fast do you plan on going on highway 7? at about the speed limit.. or full throttle? lol kinda dumb question i know sry.

if you cant find anyone else and need a stock CVT i might be of use. actually i have winter tires on will that affect anything? i live just by commerce gate highway 7.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 08:02 PM
cih

(inside joke) You can always put those micro-chip stickers on your gas tank.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 01:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jappaswat
yea, saves you $2~3 whenever you fill a full tank of gas. i did my homework and kept track of my kms and my esso receipts.

evosoul how much gas will we be burning for the test? if it's somewhere over 10 bucks im out (but i can lend you the SRI still)
come on you think i am going to let you guys drive all that way, first round of beers are on me. Or we can hit the Woodbin and Steels Firkin Pub for some finger food. I will try to make your trip worth your while.

Originally Posted by rontam90
just wondering.. how fast do you plan on going on highway 7? at about the speed limit.. or full throttle? lol kinda dumb question i know sry.

if you cant find anyone else and need a stock CVT i might be of use. actually i have winter tires on will that affect anything? i live just by commerce gate highway 7.
We will not be going full throttle because the results will be off. a stock lancer will burn more fuel do to its lack of performance parts. stock engine will struggle more to output/keep up with a slightly more tuned lancer.
this will just be for testing local fuel economy.

Full out performance testing will be performed in Japan, I sent prototypes over there for testing
Old Dec 9, 2007, 03:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by cih
(inside joke) You can always put those micro-chip stickers on your gas tank.
ha ha does that guy and his hot wife still come around?
Old Dec 9, 2007, 07:31 PM
cih

I think you watch too much mythbusters
Old Dec 12, 2007, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

i got a stock 5spd =) i'm up forr it if u need haha
Old Dec 12, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

hey evosoul after some thoughts on your project i decided not to participate =/. i just think at this time of the year and under our vehicle's conditions it wont be an accurate test anyhow. pm me and we can discuss if you like.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 04:15 PM
Former Sponsor

lol its ok, we actually cant do it until the weather improves. I got 4 lancers already so I got enough victims to burn gas with. hehhe, we did a dry run today and the results look good.

Also when to the dyno shop and I think we will probably do the dyno testing first due to the weather

But thanks anyway