Notices

EVO X and the Winter

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO X and the Winter

All right ! Lets start something constructive.

I've mounted a set of Vredestein Wintrac 4 tires on the original Enkei 18" wheels.

During the last storm, I was excited to test my new Mitsnowbishi. Acceleration and braking are awesome. In 6 inchs of pack snow, no problems. Like i'm driving on pavement. Except that I finally got the S-AWC display to hit more than 3 bars in the middle. Got up to 5 !

But what the hell is wrong with this car when you are NOT accelerating or braking. I mean, at cruising speeds, 80km/h up to 120 km/h, under gust of wind it felt like the car was about to spin side ways. A very slight feeling, but the rear definitively wanted to slip out. Even worst when crossing under an overpass. No other cars seemed to have been experiencing that.

Is it the tires, the SNOW mode, or something else ?

Let me know your observations / recommendations regarding your current winter "setup" on your evo's ?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

I don't see how wind would cause your rear end to break loose at all. Tire pressure the same between front and rear tires?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

No issues with my car and I have done all kinds of winter driving on Nordfrost 5s, at 30psi.
It clearly accelarates and corners faster than it can stop.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by captobvious75
I don't see how wind would cause your rear end to break loose at all. Tire pressure the same between front and rear tires?
Tire pressure is fine, same on all 4 wheels. Some car, depending on the shape, have a bad sideways drag coefficient. Under high cross-winds they tend to be more or less affected. Thus affecting the traction. Mazda 3's are awful for that. i don't think the Lancer has that problem. Never noticed it before.

I've also notice that when i'm pulling off the driveway, when the car as been sitting for hours, a freaking huge snapping noise comes from the front wheels. I suspect its the brake that are frozen in place. But it shouldnt be doing that.

Ahhh **** it .. i'll go to the dealership this afternoon and have the ****ing wheels checked.

Last edited by AlexLava; Dec 14, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:49 PM

i tested it out on the first snowfall we had here on the island. I definately feel that Gravel mode made the car a bit more predictable. When i had it in snow the rear end would like to come out ALL THE TIME.

got a little scary at times.

I did a bit of research into the forums about the ACD settings and some peopl swears by the gravel in snow. and Snow mode when you are surrounded by 2-3feet of snow.

heres a general info thread on ACD

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...everybody.html

heres a little bit from it

D. How the Tarmac/Gravel/Snow switch influences the ACD

Despite popular belief, this switch DOES NOT change the torque split. The differential is geared at 50:50 and cannot be changed by the push of a button. What this switch actually does is quite simple. Each setting determines how long the ACD will delay in freeing the center differential after a steering input is made. In addition, it will determine how much locking force the ACD will exhibit on the clutch pack and center differential. (10) (11)

Tarmac is the setting to be used in dry, paved conditions. In this setting, the ACD will almost immediately allow the center differential to go into a free state upon detecting a steering input. Additionally, this mode provides the strongest limited-slip clamping force of the three modes. (7) (12)

Gravel is the setting designed for wet or loose roads. In this setting, the ACD will delay in freeing the center differential for a moment (possibly 2-3 seconds). Of the three modes, this one has the second strongest clamping force. (7) (12)

Snow is the setting designed for, you guessed it, snow. In this setting, the ACD will delay in freeing the center differential for much longer than the other two settings (possibly 4-5 seconds). Of the three modes, this one also provides the least amount of clamping power. (7) (12)
Old Dec 16, 2010, 01:19 PM

Awesome ! thanks for the infos !

Useful stuff to know. I was starting to think the problem was me ! lol
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vince126... does your tail end really whip out in SNOW mode? Maybe this is something different for the IX's? On the X... I find the snow mode clamps down on the car like a **** and doesn't allow any sliding at all!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:22 PM

^ yes.

ive seen some of people on the forum noticing this too. people seem to be really happy in Gravel mode. i'll do some more fooling around when more snow shows up.

we just dont get that much here on the island : /
Old Feb 4, 2011, 02:45 PM

What brand of snow tires are you guys using on your Evo ?

I run :
Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme Tires : 245/40 R 18 97 W XL

1yo worn, about half the thread gone.

I dont like them.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Alex,

any tire that half tread gone can't be a tire to like and it is certainly not behaving like when it was new.
Any proper evaluation should be taken when the tires are new.

Anyways I have followed your thread on the other forums and I think that your car is perfect, but your tires may be just that- worn.

I have 2 years on my Nordfrost 5s and I have no complaints.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by BBQman
Alex,

any tire that half tread gone can't be a tire to like and it is certainly not behaving like when it was new.
Any proper evaluation should be taken when the tires are new.

Anyways I have followed your thread on the other forums and I think that your car is perfect, but your tires may be just that- worn.

I have 2 years on my Nordfrost 5s and I have no complaints.
YEah you are right !

BTW ... I need new summer tires ! I was thinking of a set of Falken. Got any ?

Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2011, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AlexLava
YEah you are right !

BTW ... I need new summer tires ! I was thinking of a set of Falken. Got any ?

Thanks

There are all kinds of tires in our store for Evo X, just email me to let us know what you need.

Are you coming to the seminar tomorrow?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

A maybe thinner tire might help also. I'm running 235/45/17 and it is more tail happy than 215 by a lot. I will go back to 215/45/17 in the future and with better tire than Altimax Arctic.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

I have to agree with everyone else! Gravel mode feels the most predictable in the snow and also if the foot isn't on the gas ie coasting, it feels like it's going to spin out!