Notices

Need Shop: Custom Tablet Install

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Shop: Custom Tablet Install

Hey Guys!

I have a 09 RA with MMCS ver 30.99 that came with the car. My MMCS unit does not have a built in hard drive and only has a composite (Red, White & Yellow) input, no USB.

I love the MMCS unit, and want to keep it as is but I am looking to get a secondary car computer or tablet installed in my car.

Reasons for install:
1. On board storage for audio and video files
2. In car data - i.e. ability to browse the web, stream videos online, and be able to provide a WiFi hotspot in my car
3. Connection to the OBD II reader with the proper software for data logging/tuning purposes

I think I wanna go with a 10-inch touch screen. I'm thinking of either moving the heating controls higher and making use of the little cubby space below to mount the screen there. Or alternatively have it installed on a slide up and down actuator arm that would make it pop up out of the dash. The good thing about this design is that it doesn't require moving or tampering of any of the stock parts, which I like. However the bad thing is that the inside of the dash is going to get very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter which might affect the performance of the tablet/computer. If I move the heating controls up and install the tablet below that would keep the tablet in an open space and in more of a moderated temperature but requires moving a lot more parts around.

Here are the questions I have:

1. Given my reasons for install above does anyone have recommendation for a car computer/tablet that I should be looking at? I'm specifically interested in the connection to the OBD II plug. Can this be done with some form of a software (maybe an app) on a tablet or do I need a car computer? Also, any recommendations for the overheating in summer and too cold in winter problem?

2. Does anyone know of a good trustworthy and economical shop in the GTA that does good custom work like this? preferably work with Mitsu or lancers?

3. I listed two different design ideas above, does anyone have any recommendations as far as the design goes? something I missed? maybe another (better) way of doing it?

4. I'm also looking for get a GST Basemap flash and boost pill for my car (09 RA). Anyone local (GTA) that can help?

Last edited by zeero260; Apr 4, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 07:42 AM

Come one guys.. this post has had almost 200 views. You are really telling me no one has any input what so ever on any counts.. could really use the help!!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:06 AM

Get recommendations on local installers and go speak to them directly. They will have a far better idea of what to recommend
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by moogly
Get recommendations on local installers and go speak to them directly. They will have a far better idea of what to recommend
I have consulted a couple of shops for this kinda work. Part of the design ideas and other info from my original post consists of things I have learned from these places. However, I have yet to find a shop that specializes in this kinda work or someone that can give me more detailed info that I am looking for. If anyone can even recommend a shop or someone in the GTA, that would be helpful
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:19 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=custom+car+audi...lation+toronto