Notices

Starting some coding for a program to plot data...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting some coding for a program to plot data...

Hi All,

Im a newb to these forums, and I figured its about time to jump in and say hi to everyone on here. Ive been the (very proud) owner of a 2011 WW EVO X GSR for just over a year now. Got Fiona brand new with 6 miles on her from South Coast Mitsu (great guys there...especially John!), and I seem to have been bitten by the modding bug.

I went to UCSD and got my BS in Aerospace Engineering, so you could say I like calculus, physics, and...well the list goes on...

Anyways, finally succumbed to peer pressure and COBB AP is on its way here...(keeping fingers crossed it is delivered today!), and I figured why not do some silly nonsense and put some of my old programming skills to work? Im thinking of writing a .jar file (using BlueJ since it was the first Java compiler and interface I learned on) to help plot some data from AP logs.
NOTE***: I dont mean to offend any of the engineers from Cobb, and dont mean to invade on some intellectual copyright, I just want to write a free, simple program that plots boost vs. RPM, boost vs. time, etc. If this upsets anyone, please contact me and I will remove it.

TLDR: EVO X Newbie, thinking of writing a Java code to plot some engine parameters logged from AP. Let me know what you guys think/any suggestions!

Thank you!
P.S. I am aware of the blatant lack of apostrophes above, my stupid netbooks apostrophe key seems to be useless.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome! Post up a pic of Fiona when you can!

Can't help ya with coding...but there are some very knowledgeable members on here who could steer you in the right direction or point you to a product that does exactly what you are referencing in your post.

Good Luck!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

FYI, not meaning to dissuade you from doing this, but virtual dyno does something similar to what you're describing.

Otherwise, good luck to you!

P.S. just to help you in the right direction, the AP logs in CSV mode, so try to find a reader for java, or start writing an extensible one yourself.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:33 PM

Here are a few pictures of Fi.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...89714383_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...31460560_n.jpg
I originally Plasti-Dipped the scoop red, but changed to black because the red was peeling. Torn on if I should go red again...

Thanks for your input guys. Im not trying anything too serious, just going to have some fun doing a little coding...God...I need to find a hobby, engineering is getting to me!

My buddy recommended I try this: if you could set up a large enough matrix that sums error percentages between the ideal afr and true afr and then have each cell logged on a load vs rpm matrix, that would be sweet, you could add any part you want and log the error percentages while cruising at different loads and rpm's then adjust the fuel so that the error is zero, thats basically a tuning/logging program. Ya, Ill probably be reinventing the wheel, but it would be a cool learning experience. Going to get some work on it tonight. Im planning using some JAVA APIs since its a sweet user friendly language, and Ill think up a neat way to parse the data from the .csv files.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:03 PM

So you're thinking like a program that let's you track actual vs ideal/wanted AFR plotted against load/rpm? I read it a couple times and that was the vibe that I got from it. I've been working with matrices a lot lately as far as programming goes so if you need some ideas let me know!

Also this is a good matrix API for Java that I've used in the past: http://code.google.com/p/efficient-java-matrix-library/
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swoll gorilla, the error percentage would be great! Make a patch of it for virtual dyno, and everything will be set. Since u got Cobb ap, download the Cobb access tuner race and make a patch for it too so there's a parameter where we can change out the error percentage to make actual and ideal afr the same.