Notices

ETS Intake & Engine knock

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ETS Intake & Engine knock

2013 X, Dyno tuned at Cobb. ETS intake, IC, ICP, Boost Solenoid, Downpipe. (I know, no catback/test pipe yet, its coming eventually) I am getting occasional knock, with or without WOT since the tune. I talked to them about it and they said the stock MAF housing with the large ETS intake is probably causing air turbulence. Has anyone else dealt with this before? Is there an MAF housing you recommend? I want to make sure I get the right part before I do a $500 re-tune.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like you haven't gotten an answer yet so I will comment on my experience with the ETS Intake. First let me preface that I do not have an upgraded intercooler, but do have the top hardpipe and full COBB turbo back.

I am using the COBB OTS Stage 2 tune with the MAP/MAF Scaling for the ETS Intake provided by COBB. I get no more than 1 count of knock and its not everyday; in fact its pretty occasional that I get it. I am wondering if this has more to do with the restriction in your exhaust, as you have fully upgraded your air system, and with the downpipe your turbo is clearly spooling quicker over stock (especially with a tune). But all that exhaust has to go somewhere and im wondering if the restriction might be "assisting" (not causing) in a couple of counts of detonation.

COBB knows the ETS intake fairly well, well enough to provide scaling for it. So I would keep badgering them about it. The ETS uses the stock MAF housing with a velocity stack so this should be no problem. People pro-tune off of intakes without the MAF housing (which normally is what causes a ton of metering issues WITHOUT getting a tune). So, this kind of sounds like a "not my problem" excuse from COBB which is a bit disappointing to hear.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 01:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It's definitely not the intake causing it. How much knock are you occasionally getting? 1-2 counts every now and then isn't going to hurt anything...
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Yea if your only getting 1 or 2 counts of knock every now and again it is not going to hurt anything. So i think your being a little bit to critical of the accessport. I guess if your very worried you can pay for a pro tune but there will prolly be some knock now and again with that as well.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Yea if your only getting 1 or 2 counts of knock every now and again it is not going to hurt anything. So i think your being a little bit to critical of the accessport. I guess if your very worried you can pay for a pro tune but there will prolly be some knock now and again with that as well.
So I'm having a similar issue. I just installed the ETS UICP and intake last Friday. I reflashed to the OTS 93 octane stage 1 map and corrected the scaling for the intake. Tolled around a bit, then did my first pull. Knock up to 22...went and got some fresh 93 gas and added octane booster to the tank, 3/4 throttle and I'm getting knock around 9-10 under load. I reflashed to the 91 octane map w/scaling and now I get around 9 knock if I push it in fifth gear under load. All the fittings are tight, no other issues, stock otherwise. Any advise, protuner is not close.