Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

www.mustangboards.com Topic: Drag racing; Evo's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird, I guess today is an all "Mustang vs Evo" thread day....

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hreadid=183200

Good video, though...
Old Feb 12, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kingCOBRAsvt_99
Warrtalon your in colorado springs now???? are you coming back to VA for race season??? I wanna run ya bro (friendly race)
Sorry, man, I'm gone for good, but my Evo is still in VA until the frickin auto transporter shows up... It's too bad, too, because it would have been fun to run ya. I would have been gunning for 11.5-11.6 on the new setup with cams and alky, which is great for an Evo, but I'm not sure if that's close to where you'll be. Now that I'm at 6000', the chances of me hitting 11s on the stock turbo are very slim, but I'll be trying for sure.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

It looks like they locked the thred.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deepseadiver
It looks like they locked the thred.

yes they did and I went over to their video section to post up wricks EVO smacking down on a mustang
Old Feb 12, 2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Sorry, man, I'm gone for good, but my Evo is still in VA until the frickin auto transporter shows up... It's too bad, too, because it would have been fun to run ya. I would have been gunning for 11.5-11.6 on the new setup with cams and alky, which is great for an Evo, but I'm not sure if that's close to where you'll be. Now that I'm at 6000', the chances of me hitting 11s on the stock turbo are very slim, but I'll be trying for sure.
Its all good bro Thats why I bought a F350 + enclosed trailer (well no trailer yet but ill have it by april or so if this year. My cousins both live in Denver So i could go visit them and bring my car along LOL I have some people in Cali that wanna race as well. Ive never taken a road trip across the US yet sooooo maybe sometime b4 to long (yeah I know a lotta miles but HEY IM YOUNG and we only live once). Oh and BTW im hoping for low 11's high 10's until I get my cams + intake then hopefully mid 10's low 10's.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
I just noticed you doint have the N20 yet... nevermind about that

And is a 8.0 1/8 good for you guys or bad.. I couldnt tell from your post.
8.0 is bad... We've got guys running low 7's on the stock long block and still NA. I can't say I've done that good though... not yet
Old Feb 13, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jasil
You opened up the wrong can of worms here. There are NO 8 second EVO's that pass True stree in NHRA are there? Or that would pass and still be even partially competitive. Go look at all the mustangs that run the 30 mile city duty, no adjustments can be made, no popping the hood, no swapping tires, and still run low 8's@160mph ++ The current best time for a drag radialed mustang is 7.87@181mph...no tin can either. I could give you stats for days I'm talking about street/strip cars it's just the nature of the beast. Feel free to reply I'll post more links and numbers later tonight.
ok sorry I didnt realize you were talking about street anything And considering there are many many more companies and people that turn stangs into race cars and have been doing it since the 50s I think in 50 years or so from now you might see some Evos doing it to I was talking about pure race cars, not street cars. And, if you really wanted to make an Evo run in a some class without popping the hood or swapping tires, Hoosier does make DOT slicks that you could drive to the track with and there is no need to pop the hood on our cars to make them faster. I dont when I go to the track.

And if you what are your criteria for street/strip cars anyways? Id like to see the mustang that ran a 7.87 drive around LA for a few hours and not get pulled over and have his car towed away. I dont believe it is exactly a street drivable car in that sense. I would love to see some detailed pics of his car as well... as for no tin can, Im sure it aint full weight. Does it even still have glass? At any rate, Im not trying to say Mustangs cant be fast They are obviously extremely quick cars with 2 times the cylinders and over 2 times the displacement and 50 years of tinkering with and probably 100 or more times as many people modifiing them.... yes they are quick. But as far as true race cars go, it doesnt matter what you start with. Make it a Scion and watch it run 6's. Or take an Evo and turn it into a Nitromethane powered vehicle... tell me it wont run 7's or 6's at least. Or make it methanol and run 7's on drag radials. You could drive it to the track like that. Sheps car seems to have full interior/exterior... you dont call it a tin can do ya? It weighs around 2450... a little lighter than its stock counterpart
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Again Trinababe you are going to extremes again! The bottom line going by times alone and ease of running the number the EVO will never be a Corvette, Viper, Camaro, or Mustang killer at the strip in a street/strip setup. By the criteria you just gave most EVO's arent' going to pass it either. I'm not talking about 6 second tube frame cars or back halved cars. I'm talking about full interior or close too it street cars that can run pump gas or race gas. We won't even bring up the pump gas debate. How good is a 700rwhp EVO going on a trip? It sucks because you have to run pump gas or alky/pump which still won't support anything astronomical. There is a local cobra owner here in New Orleans that put down 752rwhp on pump the video is on svtperformance.com. I totally agree about displacement etc that's why all the above are much easier platforms to work with. I love EVO's I own a black O5, but I've also owned mustangs and most of my friends own domestics I speak from alot of experience the EVO is a headache in comparison if your goal is straightline speed. A friend (Parrish) runs 10.50's@131mph on pump gas with 4-5K in his car!! Over 20 trips to the track before the Hurricane and not 1 broken part. Go launch a 10 second EVO 35 times+ and see how reliable it is..without a Shep/TRE trans, diff, and upgraded clutch...that alone sets you back more than my friend has in his car.

The bottom line is there are no 7 or 8 second EVO's in the U.S are there? There are only 2-3 9 second EVO's because it's that hard too make the car run the number. The above are much, much easier because of the displacement and RWD configuration. There are full interior Mustangs running 8's!! I posted a video of a 03' cobra running a 9.6 with 11K in the car..stock block, stock trans, stock rear!! I posted a link to Mike Murillo's street fox body, full interior, running 8.65's on drag radials.

You and War bring up the time the engine has been out check the facts. The 4.6l has been around since 96!! The 4g63 has been around since 89!! Strictly performance, check the website has run low low 9's, in a full interior caged 03' Cobra built engine though solid rear. Engcon, screen name, has run 9.40's full interior.

I'm not going to argue all day you're car is fast as hell and will spank many a domestic, but if you're goal is 8's or 9's there are much easier platforms to start with, but it wouldn't be too much fun if everyone had the same car either. There is a TT Corvette, full interior driven too the track a little race gas put in, no tire change and he ran 9 high 8 and low 9 second passes back to back. The cars new best is 8.54 all on the 17'' drag radials!!

I'm done EVO's rule!! Handling the EVO is easier platform to start with, but in the end RWD will own that too in dry weather, but it will be hard doing it in a mustang....but a C4 Vette...not too hard, but that's a whole other debate there

Good luck with you're car!!

Last edited by Jasil; Feb 13, 2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

I know EVO's are faster, but I got to beleive you just aren't going to have the transmission problems in a rear drive car that you'll have with all wheel. I owned a Mustang years ago and it was an awful car in terms of handling and feel, but I could beat the snot out of it all day long and never had any problems with it. My Subaru wouldn't last a week the way I drove my Mustang.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

OK that sounds better Jassil Is what I was trying to say is there is no better or worse car in the end (If you chose to go that far). The faster and faster cars go, the less and less it matters what they started. To make a 10 second mustang vs a 10 second Evo would probably take the same amount of money. The difference is one would need to be hacked apart and the other wouldnt. Yes RWD and v8 will always be faster comparibly... that should be obvious. I merely wanted to point out to people that running an 8 second car, whether it be a Stang or an Evo..... they will both break just as often and will cost pretty much the same. The street drivability part is all in the eye of the beholder anyways

And any turbocharged car running gas could drive 700 miles just as well as another, in fact the Evo would be easier because most V8 guys build thier motors NA and are forced to run 110 or better octane where us guys run 8:1 compression and the rest is boost... we dont need to floor it if we are driving 700 miles

At any rate, yes i like the 4g63 and one of the reasons is how far you can push it without destruction. Compared to a built V8 that making 1000hp w/ some turbos aint too tough... obviously we are at a disadvantage. Making 900 is tough for us... But as far as street driven vehicles go... I dont see any 9 second cars cruisin town... I dont even see any low 10 second cars cruising... some of them run high 10's with slicks at 123mph (Obviously on the street they are worthless for speed). I like my bastard car and think its neat to have a quick car that I can drive to and from the track without swapping anything and beat up on domestics that need to swap thier tires and this and that (That all get trailored in). Obviously there are some quick ones that probably drive there without the trailer... Im just yet to see one In fact I rarely see any low 11's that drive there without a trailer.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

And i love the events that are race it the way you pulled it in (Not on a trailer)... for SOME reason there are always a bunch of trailers outside of the track and a bunch of cars putting on news tires and changing pressure in thier tires, etc... Wierd coincidence huh I always laugh at that.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Oh... and just for the record... mine aint fast yet I need to actually run it to figure out if its quick or not. Last year sucked badly.