Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

whats up w/ my trap speeds?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
whats up w/ my trap speeds?

So i went to the local 1/8 mile track (parking lot) at Qualcomm Stadium Friday and ended up with a best run of the night at:

60' 1.83
1/8 8.334 @ 82.3x

This was on all my mods in my sig minus the cams (haven't installed them yet). I was running a full tank of 91 octane w/ a couple gallons of xylene mixed in. Full lift shifts. Running about 22ish psi.

I dunno, it seems like my trap speeds are pretty low. Comments?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car is just slow right now, and the 60' is a little weak, but that isn't causing the low trap. Skilmatic will chime in, since that's the track he uses, but he hits 7.75 there I think @ 90-91 or so with a stg1 IX. You're just not making much power right now is the main thing. I assume it was hot and humid, eh? Not sure why you'd add Xylene instead of a few gallons of race gas - is that normal?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you must have dynoflash lol j/p
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GHEvo8
you must have dynoflash
lol... yeah i do... its been custom flashed for all my mods minus the IC piping kit. I'm not running cams.

Warr... Not doubting Skill... but i'd love to see those time slips of his. That seems pretty damn fast for Qualcomm and for the mods he's done. Also, that was my best 60' ever. I am by no means a good drag racer, as much as I'd like to think i am. I dont think it was too humid when i raced, it was about 11pm at night. I let the car cool down for about 40min before my last run since i had hot-lapped 4 runs in a row and the car was getting slower and slower and slower every time.

I ran race gas (1/2 tank mixed w/ 1/2 tank of 91) last time I raced in Feb. My times were identical minus my 60ft was a 1.91 or something and my trap was 84.xx mph. This was running higher boost though... I think around 25-26psi. Also I was shifting at 7500rpm versus this more recent time where i was trying to shift as close to 7000 as possible.

I guess the car just sucks.... What do you think cams will do for my trap speeds?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

also check for boost leaks, i found one on mine and picked up almost 2 mph in the 1/4

Last edited by AZ EVO IX MR; Aug 28, 2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Your trap was 2mph higher previously on the race gas. I'd stick with that combo. If you combine the higher mph with your best 60', you'd get your best time.

Cams can add 30whp, which is about 3mph and .3s, but it's obviously not an exact science. Shifting at 7000rpm is best right now, so you got that right, and 24-25psi on the race gas mix is good. Just figure out how to launch to get you some low 8s or high 7s.

Of course, it's always good to do a boost leak test to ensure you aren't wasting energy through leaks. I have only encountered one non-stock Evo that didn't have at least one boost leak when I tested it, and that guy had been meticulous about checking for leaks on his own.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well first off let me say the track does suck. It took me forever to get a 1.7 60ft. For the track a 1.83 isnt too bad. However, the trap does really suck. Even when I was getting 8.2 and 8.3 I still trapped at like 87-88.

Im just curious who you are at the track? You should be running when it gets cooler.

However, we need to address the problem why you are trapping so low first.

Cams will of course increase trap speeds however, cams will do no good on a car that potentially has a problem.

I most likely will be there the 15th. Hit me up and we can meet up. I have a few other evo buddies that will be there too.

PS. Did you see a silver 9 there? He ran a new viper and beat it. That is one of my buddies.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

warrtalon

you said combine my best 60' and my best mph and that would give me a best time.. Is there a formula for this or what is your estimate.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Well not get technical but my trap speed was only 1 mph faster on higher boost. The reason I didn't want to run race has was because I have no way of leaning it out. Also I just did a boost leak test a week prior
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Just the race gas will give you more power with out tuning.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nigletsyz
Well not get technical but my trap speed was only 1 mph faster on higher boost. The reason I didn't want to run race has was because I have no way of leaning it out. Also I just did a boost leak test a week prior
What you mean no way of leaning it out? You got custom flashed didnt you? Didnt he put a race map on there? Also how did you do the boost leak check?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

You don't have to lean out the AFRs to make more power - you just crank the boost. Plus, what was the point of the Xylene if you weren't trying to raise octane? Yah, only 1mph gain, but I don't know if the conditions changed.

AZ, there's no formula or anything. It's just obvious that you want to get the best 60' you can along with the best trap speed you can. Your sig shows quite an anomaly. Your 1.61 ET does not match the mph at all, but your 1.76 60' ET matches the mph just right. I think the 1.6s you were getting were either caused by a faulty timer or by you holding 1st gear to 7600rpm every time, thus giving an inflated 60'. I say this, because my 12.30@107.99 was only a 1.72 60, and I shift at 6400 or so at this altitude. You had me by over 1mph and were over 1 tenth slower with a much better 60', so it doesn't add up. Your new et/mph do add up, though.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

the mph on the 1.6 was with a boost leak from the 3 and 4 injectors. I never trapped better than 109 so i did a test and found the leak. Since then i have not trapped lower than 110. 112 being my best
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

You don't have to lean out the AFRs to make more power - you just crank the boost. Plus, what was the point of the Xylene if you weren't trying to raise octane? Yah, only 1mph gain, but I don't know if the conditions changed.
Yeah thats what I was thnking too.

AZ, I think your 60ft might have been mistaken by the timer cause warr is right your 60ft doesnt match your trap speeds at all.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AZ EVO IX MR
the mph on the 1.6 was with a boost leak from the 3 and 4 injectors. I never trapped better than 109 so i did a test and found the leak. Since then i have not trapped lower than 110. 112 being my best
Huh? There was a boost leak on the injectors? Myabe I am reading that wrong but how can you get boost leak via injectors?

Quick Reply: whats up w/ my trap speeds?