Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

First time out this season and went 12.3

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2007, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time out this season and went 12.3

Just the like the title says, this was my first time out the season and thats the best run i could muster. I know theres alot of guys on here that can pick apart a time slip and tell me what im doin wrong because my trap speed seems kinda low to me.

R/T..... .561
60...... 1.753
330.... 5.083
1/8..... 7.870
MPH... 87.58
1000.. 10.298
1/4..... 12.359
MPH.... 108.56

A buddy of mine went 12.5 with a faster 60 and same trap in his evo 8 with less mods. Thats why i think my trap should have been a little faster.

Current Mods:
3'TBE
Cone filter
Hallman pro rx MBC
GSC S1's
Exedy twin Disk
Ebay FMIC
Walbro 255
AMS mail in tune.

Going to get a custom tune this weekend hopefully so maybe after that i can bust some 11's on the stock turbo.
Old May 21, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

weak MPH is right.....

wish I could help you more. Custom tune is a good start though, check for boost leaks as well.
Old May 21, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

no boost leaks, lol, already checked car held right at 21 on 93 octane.
Old May 21, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
looks like its pulling timing up top

or you're missing 4th gear
Old May 21, 2007, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

We did some logs and on pump i get a few counts of knock so hopefully the tune can fix that issue....

Thanks for the replies
Old May 21, 2007, 10:11 PM

you did better than me
Old May 21, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dnealy
no boost leaks, lol, already checked car held right at 21 on 93 octane.
What do you mean it held right at 21 on 93oct? Octane has nothing to do with a boost leak test - the car isn't even running when you do the test. Did you actually do a boost leak test, or are you saying your boost gauge held steady? You have to physically do a boost leak test to verify no leaks. If you actually did that, then good job, but the 93oct part is not relevant.

You definitely are missing mph, because a 12.3 @ 108.5 would require an awesome 60' with some NASTY shifting. Your driving was not bad at all, but with those splits, I would expect something closer to 111. I actually ran a 12.30 @ 107.99 on a 1.72 60', but I'm at high altitude and have to shift to 5th at the 1000' mark, so my traps get killed.

When you did the logs that showed knock in 4th, were those drag runs, or just straight 4th gear pulls? It's important to bang the gears 1-2-3-4 when testing for drag knock, because the conditions are different than doing a straight pull. If you're getting a custom flash anyway, then I wouldn't worry about it for now.
Old May 21, 2007, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

lol I was just saying that on the way home it held at that on the way home. No im not a complete retard i know how to do a boost leak test and i know 93 octane has nothing to do with it i was just throwing that info out there. When i did a 3rd to 4th gear log i got 14 counts of knock when i shifted gradually going down to redline in 4th(think its because i shifter pretty hard into 4th but i do that at the drag trip so yeah) and to be honest this was probaly one of the cleanest runs ive ever pulled off in this ca which kind of makes me sad. I was hoping for atleast 110 traps.

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
What do you mean it held right at 21 on 93oct?
Octane has nothing to do with a boost leak test - the car isn't even running when you do the test. Did you actually do a boost leak test, or are you saying your boost gauge held steady? You have to physically do a boost leak test to verify no leaks. If you actually did that, then good job, but the 93oct part is not relevant.

You definitely are missing mph, because a 12.3 @ 108.5 would require an awesome 60' with some NASTY shifting. Your driving was not bad at all, but with those splits, I would expect something closer to 111. I actually ran a 12.30 @ 107.99 on a 1.72 60', but I'm at high altitude and have to shift to 5th at the 1000' mark, so my traps get killed.

When you did the logs that showed knock in 4th, were those drag runs, or just straight 4th gear pulls? It's important to bang the gears 1-2-3-4 when testing for drag knock, because the conditions are different than doing a straight pull. If you're getting a custom flash anyway, then I wouldn't worry about it for now.
Old May 21, 2007, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol I was just saying that on the way home it held at that on the way home. No im not a complete retard i know how to do a boost leak test and i know 93 octane has nothing to do with it i was just throwing that info out there.
Hmm, well the first reply said to check for boost leaks, and your response was that you already checked. If you are not a "retard" and know that watching your boost gauge while driving has nothing to do with a boost leak test, then why did you say you already checked? I'm not so sure you know the things you claimed in the above quote...

When i did a 3rd to 4th gear log i got 14 counts of knock when i shifted gradually going down to redline in 4th(think its because i shifter pretty hard into 4th but i do that at the drag trip so yeah) and to be honest this was probaly one of the cleanest runs ive ever pulled off in this ca which kind of makes me sad. I was hoping for atleast 110 traps.
Again, I'm confused. Earlier, you said you did a log and got a "few" counts of knock. 14 is not "a few" - it's a shltload. Also, shifting "gradually" is the opposite of "shifter pretty hard." I think you're getting your words mixed up, yah?

Yes, your trap should be at least 115...even 110 would be highly disappointing, but maybe it's that Ebay FMIC.
Old May 22, 2007, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

^^^Dustin, a good time...but it's the intercooler!!!

Where'd you guys go? Also, was Brandon the guy that ran the 12.5?
Old May 22, 2007, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

^ Yeah brandon was the guy that ran the 12.5 at the same speed and me and him normally are not even close. 8Thwonder, yall goin to topspeed?

Warrtalon, please stop posting in my thread, lol. You make no sense, and all you ever do is try and make others look stupid. I have a rubber coupling that i made back in the dsm days using the page on Vfaq.com that clamps on to the turbo and with a air compressor that you clip the hose on to the coupling and run the pressure up to check for leaks. I shouldnt have to explain to you what kind of tools i have to check for leaks and so on and so forth so leave it at that. As far as 14 counts of knock it was one pull and every other time i get less then 5. Once again until you have some actuall helpful info or response other than trying to make me sound like a douche bag i would appreciate if you didnt contribute, thanks.

Thanks for all the other replies
Old May 22, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

actualy he makes alot of sense,get rid of that ebay junk.......
Old May 22, 2007, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

^ Yeah brandon was the guy that ran the 12.5 at the same speed and me and him normally are not even close. 8Thwonder, yall goin to topspeed?

Warrtalon, please stop posting in my thread, lol. You make no sense, and all you ever do is try and make others look stupid. I have a rubber coupling that i made back in the dsm days using the page on Vfaq.com that clamps on to the turbo and with a air compressor that you clip the hose on to the coupling and run the pressure up to check for leaks. I shouldnt have to explain to you what kind of tools i have to check for leaks and so on and so forth so leave it at that. As far as 14 counts of knock it was one pull and every other time i get less then 5. Once again until you have some actuall helpful info or response other than trying to make me sound like a douche bag i would appreciate if you didnt contribute, thanks.

Thanks for all the other replies
Still not 100% sure. I may make the ride though, just to have something to do this weekend. Your car must have been pulling some serious timing with 14 counts of knock up top. Hopefully, your upcoming tune will address that issue.
Old May 22, 2007, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bluebyu36
actualy he makes alot of sense,get rid of that ebay junk.......
Deffinitly a up coming plan of mine, lol, but for 50 bucks i mean i couldnt really complain alot.

8thwonder, yeah i hope it works it out for sure and you should deffinitly come. I think 4 evos from clemson are going and my buddies bringing his sti. Should be a good showing.
Old May 22, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
trap at least 115? on those mods in the heat of south carolina on a mail-in on 21 PSI? That would be a factory freak for sure.

Quick Reply: First time out this season and went 12.3