Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

"David" (800awhp evo 8) vs. "Goliath" (1200hp 911t)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Dam that was going to be a killer run ,If I was there I could of gave him a clamp and let him use my tools
Old Jul 20, 2008, 08:19 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's easy to know you've blown a hose clamp without looking. Usually the car will pop and sputter when trying to build load (burnout). Your car can also easily keep running when running a MAP sensor, because it is pressure dependent, not air flow.

The reason MAF sensor cars go to **** when you blow a hose clamp is because the computer thinks you are flowing a certain amount of air based on a pre turbo reading and can't tell you aren't holding any pressure after the turbo. A MAP sensor is based on pressure after the turbo, so it can compensate appropriately.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wicked E
Pretty ghey that he didn't or couldn't fix a simple "broken hose clamp"... Correct me if I'm wrong but HOW would he know he broke a clamp without seeing it and 2: that car looked to be driving just fine away from the line. If I remember correctly, a car runs like *** with a blown coupler/clamp...

-E
Speed density is a wonderful thing
Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Old Jul 20, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

any updates on todays race?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

just got info....it looks like the run never went down.......sucks!!!!!

Last edited by KIDBANGA10; Jul 20, 2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 06:25 PM

whats the update 4kinboost?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4kinboost
Top level car officially on the trailer, on the way to Atco.

Wait until the porsche finds out about the old school "switcheroo"!!

More details tonight.
update....
Old Jul 20, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KIDBANGA10
just got info....it looks like the run never went down.......sucks!!!!!

ooo what now. did they forget to bring his fire jacket?? i mean come on who brings 1000+hp cars to a track without a few easy to install parts and the basics in parts and tools. the hole clamp thing killed me. i dont even make high hp and i bring almost everything i have down to an extra air freshener incase i get that new best time....... sigh owell better luck next time guys.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

does anyone have the details...
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:53 PM
snb

Run never went down although both cars were there at Atco.
I guess Porshce was ***not in the mood***
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Ok guys, sorry for the delay. I'll keep it short-n-sweet.

As per the title of this thread, Top Level took a moral victory yesterday over the big bad Porsche.

After all of the talk, money was locked up for this battle to go down at atco.

In 6 days, Top Level Built their 'shop car'. It was agreed at the time of lock-up that Ricky in fact would not be bringing the 'street car', but the purse for an undisclosed amount would be against the lightened 'Race Car'.

As a team we worked long hours to complete a race car build from start to finnish in under a week. Some of you may have seen in the for sale posts a white salvage car that was put up for sale a week back. This project was brought back from the dead to 'even-up' the odds against a 1200hp legend. The car was lightened up a bit more, rollcage installed, and a basic powerplant and drivetrain used to 'shake-down' the car itself with.

ok-- a little detail.

Obviously, the race inspired car has none of the anemities of a street car. Super lightweight. No interior, wipers, ac, lexan-windows, blah, blah, blah.

The powerplant was your 'average joe's' combination.
Stock tb (60mm)
Stock intake manni
Stock head
Stock tranny
Stock driveshafts/halfshafts
Stock 2.0 displacement

Mods included, Top Level's usual combination of;;
drop-in pistons/rods
Cams
Valve springs
gt35r on tubular manni
NO spray for now.

This is the same combo that is sold to most clients looking for 500awhp street cars.

In fact, the aem wasn't installed till saturday night- the night before the event.

At this point, I want to send a special thanks to Mark at Turbo-Trix for an awesome job on a late-night tune. The car was flat-bedded to TTRIX for a dyno session and left at MIDNIGHT!!!. Car made 633awhp and 484tq on a conservative SAFE map that would put all worries to the side and let us focus on the chasis, suspension and passing tech at Atco.

Back on the flatbed to long island. We work hard finnishing up the final touches.

6:30am-- we are now blasting the car up and down, setting the tires/suspension and wondering if the car could go straight at 130+ mph!!

This car hasn't even gotten a wheel alignment yet, and it's first shakedown pass was to be against a 1200hp monster with a proven driver?? All I can say is WOW.

Back on the trailer and off to atco-- Still no sleep for almost 3 days straight. Pride and smiles will carry the team to victory on this one.

AT THE TRACK,,,

Fear sets into Goliath's shoes. The racecar is complete, passed tech, and is in the staging lanes ready to do battle. The internet has been chatting about this battle and the crowd is just going wild. Both racers inspect each other's vehicles. Tito is well informed and knows that the race car will NOT be running nos today.

But alas, the fear gets the best of him. As the staging lanes turn into the burn-out box, the cars that were side by side for 30mins now somehow get spread apart. The porsche is now ahead in the lanes by 2-3 cars. Top Level's crew scream to him to pull aside and allow 2 cars to make passes so that the cars can tangle the stageing lights at the same time. Oh no. This is his opportunity to run away. AND HE DOES. Went ahead and made the pass-- 10.70 at some high mph, really spinning the first 330'.

Top level car pulls up, does the burn-out to please the crowd, and makes the cars first ever pass... 1.8 60ft time (car spinning badly as it was forced to go through the water box) and the car rolls the traps at 10.20 @ about 139 mph.

Please forgive me for the lack of detail- Unfortunately I was unable to attend- The previous nights just crushed me and I overslept in my attempt to catch a 'cat'nap'.

Back in the pits, the Porche's put crew stays silent. They just know the truth. They know that on any given sunday, anything can happen. They also know that David scared Goliath.

Will there be a part 3 in this? Not too sure. As it stands in my book, the record is EVO-2, Porsche-0.

What do you guys think?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Pics up in a few... Maybe manny can post-up some of the 'Before' pics of the Race-car?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:23 PM

Pics up in a few... Maybe manny can post-up some of the 'Before' pics of the Race-car?
The big bad Porsche SCARED of the lil ole Evo,classic

Last edited by EDBOYLI; Jul 21, 2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Will there be a part 3 in this? Not too sure. As it stands in my book, the record is EVO-2, Porsche-0.

What do you guys think?
+1!!!.

Butttt, to be honest isn't the Porsche a full interior car? Wow, a race evo beats a somewhat street car... Not too impressed. And a 10.7? Come on, buschur's "daily driven" evo does 9.42. (Granted that's not the norm, but it shows the potential of a street evo, let alone a race evo)

In other words, this win isn't that much to be proud of , even if they both ran those number at the same time

Quick Reply: "David" (800awhp evo 8) vs. "Goliath" (1200hp 911t)