Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Rear Bumper Venting - No more Parachute

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carloverx
is it such a bad idea? It could equate to better acceleration or even better, better gas millage.

If you didn't do it to be cool or a certain way or b/c you were afraid of what people will think, than you're just as bad as any "ricer"
I am not doing it because I deem it as a process that is not needed. My car is daily driven and if I want better gas mileage I would either not get into WOT, properly inflate my tires, properly maintain my car, or turn down my boost --- all free measures to increasing gas mileage. Keep preaching the gas mileage bit...those Tornado things and the "ECU chips" on eBay claim to increase gas mileage, but you see how those scams are true. Wait....you probably have those on your car. Sorry.

If I want better acceleration...I'll turn up my boost, retune my ECU, and put race gas in.

I'm not afraid of what people will think, I'm just smarter than putting unnecessary holes in my rear bumper.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for what it is, i think it came out really well. I wouldn't be surprised of the added turbulence through the bumper did mess with the air coming off the back of the car though.

Stupid aerodynamics NEVER working the way it appears!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll be testing for lift and drag as an effect of the venting. I have my car setup with sensors to do so. Just need to get some free time to do it.

As for the comments about smoothing the airflow under the car, I've got that under control as well...

I've got threads on that in other areas.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now thats what I am talkin about yo!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vwjeff
Now thats what I am talkin about yo!

+1
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, the underside paneling is awesome.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by QwikSRT4
I am not doing it because I deem it as a process that is not needed. My car is daily driven and if I want better gas mileage I would either not get into WOT, properly inflate my tires, properly maintain my car, or turn down my boost --- all free measures to increasing gas mileage. Keep preaching the gas mileage bit...those Tornado things and the "ECU chips" on eBay claim to increase gas mileage, but you see how those scams are true. Wait....you probably have those on your car. Sorry.

If I want better acceleration...I'll turn up my boost, retune my ECU, and put race gas in.

I'm not afraid of what people will think, I'm just smarter than putting unnecessary holes in my rear bumper.
Your logic is so flawed, it's comical; so let me just try sift through your mess of an argument and find its conclusion:

You don't think these vents help gas millage or acceleration? (A simple "yes" or "no" will suffice.)

If you say "no, they don't help", then you obviously don't know enough about air flow/evo's." If you say "yes, they help" then you're just superficial and are afraid of what people think.

edit: wait wait i think i just fully understood your argument. You're not saying they don't work, you're just saying you don't need them b/c there are other ways of getting the same effect?? Goootccchyyaaa.

So things like weight reductions, or under trays are useless b/c one could get there effects more easily through higher boost levels right??? Or better yet, just driving the car less aggressively, (aka "not get into WOT") will give you the same effects too? lol Who needs aerodynamics?! Just drive slower!! Great thinking!

Last edited by Carloverx; Jun 27, 2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

I like both.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

great work on the panels!
Old Jun 27, 2008, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Your logic is so flawed, it's comical; so let me just try sift through your mess of an argument and find its conclusion:

You don't think these vents help gas millage or acceleration? (A simple "yes" or "no" will suffice.)

If you say "no, they don't help", then you obviously don't know enough about air flow/evo's." If you say "yes, they help" then you're just superficial and are afraid of what people think.

edit: wait wait i think i just fully understood your argument. You're not saying they don't work, you're just saying you don't need them b/c there are other ways of getting the same effect?? Goootccchyyaaa.

So things like weight reductions, or under trays are useless b/c one could get there effects more easily through higher boost levels right??? Or better yet, just driving the car less aggressively, (aka "not get into WOT") will give you the same effects too? lol Who needs aerodynamics?! Just drive slower!! Great thinking!
hahaha +1

I think it would look less noticable on dark colored cars. At least its not bright and shiny aluminum like alot of the honda boys do
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Agreed on the effect of the vents in the rear bumper, not good from what I am told too. I don't know, just going off the knowledge of someone who actually works in a wind tunnel.

I don't care for the look of the vents, not on a riced out Honda and not on an EVO for sure.

I'd have said a simple rear diffuser/tray but that has been done by a few companies (including us) already.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:16 PM

those panels are looking good ,nice work.
keep us informed
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Agreed on the effect of the vents in the rear bumper, not good from what I am told too. I don't know, just going off the knowledge of someone who actually works in a wind tunnel.

I don't care for the look of the vents, not on a riced out Honda and not on an EVO for sure.

I'd have said a simple rear diffuser/tray but that has been done by a few companies (including us) already.

Just my 2 cents.
It's possible that they could hurt if the holes aren't big enough, and pretty easy to test as this is aimed at drag. When I get some time I'll be testing, now that they are there I can simply tape them off and test. If they are hurting I'll make the openings bigger and put some mesh behind them to clean up the look.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If people bought their Evos for gas mileage, then they need their brains examined.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The cut outs hurt the aero by changing the lift/downforce of the car.

If people own an EVO and accept it getting crappy gas mileage THEN THEY NEED THEIR BRAINS EXAMINED. NOT worrying about the fuel mileage is stupid.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Venting - No more Parachute