Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Mickey Thompson 17" Bias-Ply Drag Slick for Evolutions, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodent
You can also fit 26x9.5x16 QTP's on lighter 16x7 or 16x8 wheels over the stock Brembo brakes. Been very happy with my 16" setup and the 1.4 60 foot times.

Just to give you an idea on weight the cheap Rota's weigh 13.5 lbs and the QTP's weigh 16 lbs.

The 16" tire also helps absorb drivetrain shock better than 17" since there's more sidewall.
What rota wheel are you using? offset?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, the QTP's 26" are pretty good but didn't get the 60' times those 7"x26" motorcycle slicks have gotten. We also broke no parts on the motorcycle slicks, you are talking maybe 1/2" difference.

I'm personally looking forward to finally getting a 17" slick that mounts on a standard EVO wheel.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can you say who Dave?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RpoSti06
What rota wheel are you using? offset?
Slipstream 16x7 40 offset
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/dr...ck-brakes.html
Old Nov 9, 2011, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I could buy the motorcycle slick again, I would. I've had such good luck with them I'm hesitant to try anything else. Will a bias ply really have a softer sidewall than a radial ply? Hard to believe there is anything softer than my m/t motorcycles.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't like how the motorcycle slicks mount on the wheels since they are not designed for an automotive rim. My old motorcycle slicks took 100psi of air to get the bead to seat. Pretty scary just to mount them. I always wondered if that hurts the integrity of the tire.

The things I like about the motorcycle slick is they are lighter at 13.5 lbs and are narrow which offers less rolling resistance but still hooks up on the line.

I never felt that safe with the moto slicks at 140+ speeds.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

The motorcycle slicks do work well, no doubt. I promoted them but the reality is they are not safe. We ran the 9.0 on them in my car. Last year though when we tried for 8's again Kevin actually had a blow out on the left rear tire at the end of the track. Luckily the car stayed stable and he got it slowed down and off track. We replaced the tire and went back at it.

These new slicks that are meant for automotive use will be a real blessing.

I can say, it's not like I am sworn to keep it quiet. I'd just rather keep it quiet until they are actually out there.

I sent an e-mail to the owner last night about the tires to see if the time frame is still good. If he wants me to start promoting I will get the information out there. Otherwise I am guessing they'd rather not be bothered.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for going out of your way on these new tires Dave! It will be nice to have another option for a drag tire.

Also good to know about the blowout. I wonder if the motorcycle slick lower weight limit may have had something to do with it. I realize many have used these with no issues but its never good to be racing on a tire that was never designed for the wheel or weight of the car.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know what happened to the tire. It appeared as though it just came off the rim, it was off the bead and for anyone who has run them, they know how hard it is to get on the bead in the first place.

We had a best of a 1.40 sixty foot on the motorcycle slicks and the MPH was always high with them. The Hoosier QTP's never seem to MPH as high and our best 60' was a 1.43 on those. We are running the car this weekend in North Carolina, running on the QTP's, hoping for the best. I'd sure like to see that 8 second pass and doing it on QTP's would be extra sweet since they are street legal.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^since they are street legal, does that mean you'll reconsider allowing them for the evo stock appearing class at the shootout haha
Old Nov 9, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Street legal doesn't mean "radial" so sorry but no.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Alright, I got my answer!

The news is beyond good guys! The tires are still scheduled for January, this is a 26x8.5x17" full slick.

Here's some even better news for many of you. How about a wrinkle wall drag radial in 26x8.75x17" tire? How freaking sweet is that? That is going to really change the game for the classes requiring drag radials! I have a set coming, I'm hoping to be able to test them, this late in the year in Ohio though may be tough. I can loan them to someone else fast in a warmer area though!

BTW, we will be a dealer for all this and offering the tires. First time we have ventured into tire sales.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodent
thanks!

Originally Posted by David Buschur
Alright, I got my answer!

The news is beyond good guys! The tires are still scheduled for January, this is a 26x8.5x17" full slick.

Here's some even better news for many of you. How about a wrinkle wall drag radial in 26x8.75x17" tire? How freaking sweet is that? That is going to really change the game for the classes requiring drag radials! I have a set coming, I'm hoping to be able to test them, this late in the year in Ohio though may be tough. I can loan them to someone else fast in a warmer area though!

BTW, we will be a dealer for all this and offering the tires. First time we have ventured into tire sales.
Wow thanks for the info cant wait to see the results!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great news!

Who's making them Dave? MH?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 for the 26x8-17

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson 17" Bias-Ply Drag Slick for Evolutions, etc.