Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Hand Position

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 01:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
930 and 230

hard turns i'll drop my left hand to a 6 with my right on the shifter incase
Old Feb 8, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
I drive 9 and 3 for the most part, especially when I'm driving more vigorously, but if I'm on the highway at 2 in the morning I usually drive with my left arm resting on the door with my hand at 9 and my right hand on my lap.
In case you missed it, we're in Competition -> Driving Techniques.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
And your point is?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

And your point is?
That what you do on the highway at 2 AM has nothing to do with competitive driving techniques.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

2 other people also mentioned how they drive in other situations so why not get on their case? I first said how I drive when I drive aggressively, such as you would on a road course or during an autocross so there you go.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

2 other people also mentioned how they drive in other situations so why not get on their case?
I'll get right on that. Will that make you happy? I singled your message out because it didn't mention competition at all.

I first said how I drive when I drive aggressively, such as you would on a road course or during an autocross so there you go.
If you think aggressive driving is comparable to competitive driving, then you've proven my point that your opinion regarding what's appropriate for competitive driving is not worth listening to.

Do you actually drive in sanctioned competition? If so, what series, and what are your accomplishments?

For my part, I do SCCA Solo 2, and I'm a regional champion. That's not a big deal--I'm not bragging about it--but it does give me some credibility regarding competitive driving technique.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Well what would you call competition driving, driving like a wuss? I consider agressive driving to be any kind of driving that is done with a purpose other than to get from point A to point B, so I would certainly consider autocross or track driving to be aggressive. I live in Calgary, we have one track around town and it's mainly used for drag racing or stock caresque racing. We do have autocrossing but it's not formal. If you actually bothered to look I said I drive with my hands at 9 and 3, the standard position used in motorsports like rallying, formula one, SCCA events, etc..
If you want to be an *** and ride someone, go to the local gay bar and find yourself a date, otherwise **** off and stop acting like a condescending dink. I gave exactly the same advice (if you even wanted to call it that) as you did.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats all crazy talk.

9-3 is very comfortable when driving fast, wether on the street or a track. then switching to like 7 or 8 when having hand on shifter?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

9 and 3 isn't a hand positioning technique. Shifty hands is.

But I'll stop "riding" you 'cause I don't want you to start crying.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by izabran
ok well... take away the autoX and road course... when i'm on the highway racing... i usually grip the wheel really tight at the South East angle of the wheel...lol.. with my left hand... use the right to shift.. and just fly through traffic.. lol... yea...it allows you to turn the wheel with no problem...
dont want to draw attention to this thread but kinda interested in it and you gotta watch what you say
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitsuozboi
Thats all crazy talk.
Let me guess... another non-competitive driver adding his 2 cents.

9-3 is very comfortable when driving fast, wether on the street or a track. then switching to like 7 or 8 when having hand on shifter?
It's not about comfort, it's about control. The shifter isn't a hand rest. Your left hand should stay at 9 o'clock while you're shifting, and your right hand should return to the wheel ASAP.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Ok buddy if you're going to be an assh0le, at least be right. Firstly, as in any activity, how you position the relevant apparatus/limb is a technique, thus people (not just me) saying 9 and 3 is indeed a relevant answer. Secondly, and related to the first point, 9 and 3 is a technique used by pretty much every school of racing and one that is often missed by people, think about how many people you see driving like dinks with one hand in your daily life.
If you want to feel big because you do all this other stuff, great, post up what it is, maybe have a tutorial, I know I'd be interested to learn. Being condescending to other people (interestingly to someone who doesn't drive an evo who gave a real answer) only makes you look like a right bastard. Not everyone has the time, the money or even the opportunity to do formal events to learn this kind of stuff.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slowride
Yes and no. There are multiple "right" ways to handle the wheel, but many more that are just wrong: clumsy, dangerous, or weak. The way you handle the wheel now is probably easiest for you, but it's not necessarily the best. If you're keeping your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock, even while turning, you don't do hand-over-hand, and your arms aren't too straight, you're probably in good shape.
Originally Posted by Ambystom01
I drive 9 and 3 for the most part, especially when I'm driving more vigorously, but if I'm on the highway at 2 in the morning I usually drive with my left arm resting on the door with my hand at 9 and my right hand on my lap.
Hmmm....sure looks like we both said the same thing. Nothing like throwing rocks when you live in a glass house.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm....sure looks like we both said the same thing. Nothing like throwing rocks when you live in a glass house.
Yeah, we both mentioned 9 and 3. I didn't say anything about how I drive on the highway at 2 AM, but I use the same technique I autocross with because it's good practice and because it's a good technique for maintaining control of the car. And I qualified what makes for good technique (keeping your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock, even while turning, you don't do hand-over-hand, and your arms aren't too straight, you're probably in good shape). It's entirely possible to keep your hands near 9 and 3 most of the time and still have poor hand positioning technique.

The technique known as "shifty hands" is one way to achieve the above goals. As it's already been explained in this thread, shifty hands consists of adjusting the hands independently in preparation for a turn of the wheel. E.g., you see a right curve/turn coming up, you drop your left hand to, say, 7 o'clock, then raise your right hand to 1 o'clock, then you turn the wheel till your hands are back at 9 and 3. Upon exiting the turn, you reverse the procedure.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

light hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyR View Post
Remember... Light hands on the wheel...

Corey #89 STU

Originally Posted by w evo
Could you elaborate on this a little? I haven't heard this before.
If you look at your hands and the knuckles are white that's not light hands, you must try to relax. Slow = fast.

Quick Reply: Hand Position