Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

How To Launch The Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2003, 11:15 PM
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had a rough track day today haha... best 60 time of 1.9x..... and that was on my 3rd try... first was 2.0x and 3rd was 2.2 (BOGGED BADLY tried to get off the line at 4k and slipped clutch 2 fast) ... i only got 4 runs in today and i was just startin to really get it before i lost to a damn car that ran 17.07 (stupid bracket racing =X)... i went just to learn how to launch my car better and drive it better not to bracket race if thats wat yall think cuz that **** sucks! anyways.... DONT launch under 5k bogging KILLS you even though your 60' may be 2.2x with bogging u lost SO much boost that couldve spooled up etc that its not just .2 u lose its A LOT more... slip clutch pretty fast...like about 70% the speed of dumping it... and as soon as u start catchin drop it all the way and off u go to at least 1.9x or 1.8x.... trust me your not going to do good your first track day unless u get more than 3-4 runs in.. but after that u should b gettin 13'z all day
Old Jul 26, 2003, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

i went for my first time friday and got 13.8 first run 13.7 second and 13.5 third, with 60' times of 1.9 first. 1.9 second and 1.8 third.

it's all about launch i've found..... first two where ****ty, and my third was ok i did 5500 third run
Old Aug 5, 2003, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

6000-7000 rpm dump approach spins all tires and will be get the fastest 60 time. It appears when the tires attempt to grip you go down to about 4000 rpms which is where max boost is. I didn't believe this was the optimal approach when told to try it but after burning up a clutch at 3000 miles with minimal attempts with the slipping method i decided to try this with the new clutch after break in. Slipping the clutch works but i was only able to nail it 10% of the time. The dump is scarey and i wouldn't do it on a consistent basis as i like my car. But if you want to beat the car next to you on a consistent basis and eliminate the dreaded bog try this method. The slipping method is a hit or miss thing and a 2000 dollar clutch job every 6 months would be a common expense. These trannies are strong and warranteed. Not so for the clutch.I believe that the tires spinning takes the majority of the potential abuse on the tranny out of the equation. Only thing that scares me if for some reason the track or road you are on is super sticky and your tires don't spin. Now that would be a problem. Like i said scarey and sounds like it will abuse the tranny and other drivetrain parts but if tried once or twice it can be used as a tool to kick *** when needed. Not to be used at every stoplight or when racing an inferior car. I suggest using this method when racing the SRT-4 cause this will be needed as i have noticed that some EVO owners have been humbled by are FWD lil brother. Cars are related just to let you know.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:21 PM

whatever technique you use, if you launch frequently, be prepared to go through clutches like underwear. i used 2 work for mitsu and we went through 3 clutches in 9 months on one of the 6's we had in the country in the press fleet. every mag i'm sure did their 0-60 launches every time it went out.

that said, i found the best way to launch a euro 7, as i've never driven an american 8, was to rev up to bout 5K, lift 1/2 way to engage and allow some slippage, and while having the throttle all the way nailed, slowly let up the clutch the rest of the way as the car takes off. you will burn and you will smell. but dood nothing quite beats the rush.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

I rev it up to 5500 - 5700 rpm then went. I ran a 4.8 sec 0- 60 mph, a 13.2 1/4 and a very smelly clutch! I don't do that any more. Clutches are to much $$$$.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

I just got back from IRP, my best run was on a 6500rpm dump. 1.777 60' time, 13.094 @ 104.46 - the tires spun a little and the car just rocketed forward. No clutch smell, no slipping. Just perfect - and this is on the stock clutch (I still haven't put the Exedy in that's in the sig).
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:09 PM

i say you guys should put your launches on video..and there we can determin what strategy is better..well i'm just saying ya know..
Old Oct 15, 2003, 05:43 AM

Hey guys, something related.

Did a 7k drop-clutch launch on my evo2 3 wks ago. There was very minimal wheelspin, tires grabbed after sliding 1/4-1/2 the circumference.

Just flyed off the line! I picked up rev too fast that I hit the rev limiter for 1st.

After that launch, I did not smell anything! Everthing felt the same.

Now using the safer, slip-clutch launch at 5500. Still no clutch smell.

The catch: Its a newly imported Evo2 from Japan, and we dont know what the internals are.

Can we safely conclude its a race clutch? The clutch pedal is relatively hard. Also, my head snaps back after each shift during a run - power is transmitted "forcefully"

P.S. my tires are advan a035 gravel rally tires. came with the car... makes you wonder how this was used in Jap.

boost was set to .7 bar

Other freebies:

HKS drop in filter
Boost gauge
trust MBC
Japan 2.5 turbo back exhaust

what can you conclude about the car?
Old Oct 16, 2003, 08:04 AM
Account Disabled

I SLAMM THE GAS AT 6500 WHILE I AM SLOWLY TAPPING THE GAS RIGHT BEFORE THE 3RD YELLOW GOES, NO BURNT CLUTCH, QUICK TIRE SPIN.....1.79 60FT....WELP....13.50 SO FAR WITHOUT ECU, AND PUTTING STOCK AIR BOX ON, WAS TOLD AFTERMARKET INATKES LOOSE HP......
Old Oct 30, 2003, 03:44 AM

This is the best way I have found to launch my EVO II. I'll rev to 5K hold it there until we get the go, then I slip the clutch until the car begins to roll. As soon as the car roles about 5 to 10 mph I push in the clutch and drop it from 6K this eliminates the launch from a stand still and causes less stress on the mission. I am taking out R33 gtst's and I haven't broken into the motor yet. On sunday I am installing a fully ported head 272 cams and gears 1 mil head gasket, 700cc injectors, and my brand new TD06 20G. I plan on killing some R32 GTR's and maybe a few R33 GTR's. I will probably have to slipp the clutch more, about around 15 to 20mph before doing a full drop of the clutch.

Also Any one who a place to get a cheep good clutch and pressure plate. my Exeddy clutch is almost gone.
Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2003, 06:39 PM

aiight, im a new manual driver. just got my evo about a month ago. my cousin is pretty much teaching me some little tips, but he can't tell me everything b/c he has a blu lude. but i do wanna try these things all of you are saying, but i don't know what you mean by slipping and dumping. i've tried launching twice. once at 3k and once at 4k. the 4k was better but i did smell my clutch bad. also, is it better to hold the rpm or rev up until they give the go-ahead. i know you don't get as accurate a launch, but i also don't want to be wastin buku bucks on my clutch. any info would be appreciated. thanx
Old Nov 23, 2003, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

My take on launching the Evo:

I tried all kinds of different launches at the dragstrip and street, trying to determine what worked best. Here's what I learned. Tire pressure is very important to getting a good launch, depending on the weather. The colder it is out, the less pressure you want in your tires and the higher rpm you want to launch from.

My first run at the track, I did a quick slip at 5700 and spun so hard I went sideways! This was on stock tire pressure. Temps were in the low 40's. I tried again on stock pressure and launched at 5000 and still got tons of wheelspin and a 1.99 60'. Not terrible, but not good either. With 24 psi in the front and 27 in the back, I tried launching at 5000 and cut a 2.03 60' with the car still spinning. At 4500 with the lowered tire pressures I hooked up and bogged.

The next time I went to the track the weather was a bit better. Mid-low 50's. I tried low tire pressures right off the bat to see if I could get my 60' down. I lowered all tires down to 21.5 psi. Tried launching at 5700 my first launch and cut a 1.87 60'. Getting better, but still not there. My second launch I tried 5000 and got a 2.06 60' but the car bogged really badly. My next run I launched at 5500 and ran a 1.90 60'. My last and final run, I listened to some of the STI guys at the track and tried a 6500 launch. I launched like a bat out of hell with a tiny bit of wheelspin, no burnt clutch, and a 1.77 60'. If only I hadn't missed 3rd on that run!

Lowering the pressure down to 21.5 all around hurt my mph a lot however. I could only manage a 99.36 compared to my 101.26 best before. From the data I collected with my two days at the track, an optimal launch would consist of tire pressures in the mid 20's all around if its a cold day and a quick slip (almost dump) at 6500 rpms.

I need to get out and do some more runs and see what works best on the street. I've launched like a bat out of hell on warmer days by launching at 5700 rpms on stock tire pressure. With two other people in the car and the A/C on, I've gotten my TT to read 0-60 in 4.6 seconds using this launch method. Hope this rambling has helped someone.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 08:31 PM

hrmm.....my tyre pressures are set at 40psi on all 4.....is this bad or...???? its summertime over here in aus....but is tyre pressure that important for launches and performance???

anyhow...im still learning how to launch properly....in the last couple of days ive been trying to launch at 4rpm...but everytime i try, my car just bunny hops...and i lose like 2rpms.....i've only launch my car perfectly once....and that was a 4revs, which quickly flew up to 5.....but i can't seem to do it anymore...can anybody help??
Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

i was so confident with the stock clutch... but now that i got my exedy i have to relearn it all over! argh..

it was so easy to just sit at 5500 rpms and just drop the stock clutch.. gave me consistant 1.7-1.8 60 fts..

anyone have a tip on these clutches?

oh, and i always just stick with stock tire pressure or a little lower.. (32 front 29 back.. )
Old Dec 4, 2003, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

I love my Evo too much. No Slip No Drop. You can go I will See you Upstairs!

Quick Reply: How To Launch The Evo