Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

How To Launch The Evo

Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricoswave
One of the most overlooked things about launching this car is you have to be confident in what you are doing. If you think in the back of your head for a split second you are going to bog it or burn the **** out of the clutch, you most likely will. Its very unforgiving, but when you get it down there is nothing more rewarding than feeling your soul in the back seat!
^^ This guy gets it. If you think you will mess up, chances are that you will.
The more confident you are with the motions, the better it will go.
Just try to make launching the car as familiar as you can for yourself and don't change things that you know work. ex: driving with your feet in one position and then changing foot position when launching. (Maybe not the best example, but you get it). It's the little things that often help the most.

Oh, and obviously, practice make perfect (or a burnt clutch, depending on how much practice you need)
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
0-2 on launches first time slipped the clutch too much second time bogged so hard it barely got off the line need more practice lol
Old Oct 8, 2013, 07:34 AM

Read through quite a few pages, but I don't see much in terms of info on the MR and launching the MR, most of it is either the GSR or the older generation MRs with a gated manual. I know when I bought mine, the GM at the dealership raced professionally, and after I bought it took me out on a ride to show me what an Evo would do, and how to handle it, and how to launch it. Basically told me to flip it up into S-Sport mode, as S-Sport has a built in launch control, kick off ASC, and if you want hold it for 3 seconds and kick off the AY Brake, although he said you didn't have to do that step, it's just personal preference, then hold the brake firm, rev the car up, start to build boost, and then once you hit about 5k RPMs, hold it there for just a little over a second, and just let your foot off the brake like you're sidestepping a clutch.

I've tried this numerous times with numerous results. For example, I tried it last night and was going to video tape it. I launched so hard my camera flew right out of my hand and landed in the back seat and shut off. I even have the 6 second video that shows the car taking off and the camera flying across the car and then shutting off. I've never had the car launch that hard. I mean I've had it launch hard before, but never like that. I was just blown away. Then sometimes when I try it I've had lackluster results.

Other times, I've had the car launch, but never get a good hook and it just launches sort of "Bleh." One time when holding the break down while building up boost, I had the car basically die on me, a bunch of lights come on, and in your master display, it just popped up "Transmission Overheating." Now that's only happened to me once, and it happened when I was holding down the brake a bit longer than I normally do to try and build my boost up as high as I could get it, then poof, car died and I got the overheating thing. But that's the only time it's done that.

So basically, is there any reliable way to launch the MR? And when I say reliable, I mean, is there any certain way to practice with the car to get the launch down so you're getting consistent numbers on a 1/4th, or 60'?

The whole holding the brake, letting your boost build, then just letting go of the break, holding it to the floor and shifting around 6-6.5k RPM during WOT with either the paddle shifters of the bump shift seems to work pretty well, but I don't know if that's the best way of doing it, or the most reliable, or if it's just all practice, practice, practice until you get it down like it's second nature.

Last edited by Stonewall; Oct 8, 2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just got my evo x im going to try this!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 01:27 PM

that method is legit?
any new info on the sst lauch
Old Dec 14, 2015, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
like this:

Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:55 PM

my car doesn't do those things ^
lmao