Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Has anyone ever lost control

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ricardon
In the EVO if you do ever step it out, while off power of course, counter steering is good of course but use your right foot man. stomp on it and it will come right back in line.
Never tell someone to do this!!! What happens when the novice driver doesn't time the straightening of the wheel correctly? The car does a violent snap (hook slide) the other way that is very difficult to recover. On the street and talking to inexperienced drivers; always get off the gas and countersteer ASAP (no brake untill you are sure you are NOT going to recover the slide, and then FULL brake). If the slide gets to more than 20 degrees and there has been no response from the driver, you will spin (react quickly). Most importaintly look where you want to go (not where you are going), this will ensure that you wind (countersteer) and unwind the wheel the correct amount AND at the right time. Happy sliding
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:03 PM
Account Disabled

Maybe this site will help you out

http://www.ausubaru.com/articles/drivingtech.htm
x
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by kidnice
Maybe this site will help you out

http://www.ausubaru.com/articles/drivingtech.htm
x
Not talking about drifting, I'm talking about helping novices not wreck their precious EVO's on the road. The link has good info about TRACK (and rally stage) driving techniques. However I stick to my guns...NEVER tell a novice to "catch it with the throttle" I've seen it go horribly wrong too many times!!!! It takes a long time (maybe a lifetime) to master these techniques and it's best done on the track with top-notch instruction. Not self-discovery on the road. Not advice reccomended to you from someone you don't know (who may or may not know how to drive) on this or any web site. My 2 cents, be safe, be smart...
Old Jul 30, 2003, 06:42 PM
In Timeout

I was passing a car on the way into a 90 degree downhill slope turn...I wanted to pass the car before I got into the turn, thus I waited to hit the brakes... Shifted to second...slowed down (still 45mph)...hit the gas hard and the car slid as expected... BUT I overcorrected while on the gas...all 4 wheels going...and wham... The car is literally almost completely sideways...corrected again...and once more...snapped back on the gas...straightened the out and made the next turn!

I am comfortable sliding the car...but wholly poo...WATCH OUT. If your stupid like myself and get allittle lax (remember its still a sports car)...the car can get hairy!