Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Double Clutching...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2003, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Clutching...

I haven't really worked on this, I currently drive a 5 speed manual Honda as my daily driver and am looking at buying an EVO. While watching the movie on S2000vEVO.mpeg on the ftp server I noticed how the chase car was shifting. Can someone take a look at and tell me how the driver is shifting? It appears when he shifts the revs come way up, then come back down as he comes into the next gear. Maybe I'm uneducated as far as double clutching goes, anyone have any hints? How many people use this technique?

mike
Old Oct 21, 2003, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

no need to double clutch....but if you want to, do it for downshifting only. Clutch, put it in neutral, rev match, clutch in but it in the lower gear, let off the clutch. there ya go.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:13 PM

Ok so what is the best technique for shifting then?

For instance when downshifting if I'm at x mph and in nth gear I will will push the clutch in blip the throttle and bring the revs up to match what (n-1) gear should need for that speed and then slowly let the clutch out to match speed/rpm/clutch to the gear

For upshifting, if i am in the nth gear at x mph I will push the clutch in, let the revs fall and then shift to the (n+1) gear while trying to match where that gear should be at x mph. Once the car is back in gear I will then apply the gas.

What is the method for heel-toe shifting? I have worked with this a bit and think the pedals in my current car will allow this but have never known the exact technique to use. Any pointers?

mike
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like he was power shifting (or speed shifting... whichever you call it.) Basically you are shifting hard and fast while still on the gas. WOT or close to it.

A method I always used on my mustangs when racing... I doubt it is a good idea on an AWD car, but I just made that assumption.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:44 PM

I guess i should mention, I never shift aka release the clutch with the throttle pressed down to WOT as I said, I let out the clutch slowly and if I need power, I use the gas to get the revs up to where they should be, ideally in my mind they should fall as i'm shifting and be almost exactly where i want them to be for the next gear. And then only then, once the clutch has started to engage do i start to apply more gas. Maybe that makes it more clear.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

I was answering your original question.

Can someone take a look at and tell me how the driver is shifting? It appears when he shifts the revs come way up, then come back down as he comes into the next gear.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

S-E-A-R-C-H
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:59 PM

ahh my bad ultor... guess i've had too many to read correctly tonight...

I'll try the search button again...
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:05 PM

hope this website helps in your aid for learning bunch of driving techniques. For me though, the best way to learn driving technique is through attending track days, sign up for one and you'll be happy ... well maybe not your very first track day.

here is the website by the way, it doesnt have double de-clutch, but it explained how to do heel-toe. If you can do heel-toe double clutch is piece of cake. Enjoy!

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving..._heeltoe.lasso