Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

4th Gear Grinding Issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
4th Gear Grinding Issue

So I let a friend drive my car and he botched a shift going into 4th. Now she slightly grinds if I try to shift quickly, only on the upshift. Thinking it's synchros as double clutching or taking a long time to shift will have it slide in perfectly. Other gears are fine. Clutch has less than 10K on it. So anyone have any suggestions on how to extend the longevity of my trans? I don't want to swap it until I absolutely have to. I have no experience with gears on their way out, only blown.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Other than making sure your clutch is properly adjusted and using a quality trans oil there is really nothing you can do. You are right in that is is the synchro which is failing. My car also does that if I shift fast into 4th once the trans gets hot. Im not sure how similar the IV is to a CT9A but Jon@TRE makes a nice trans oil cooler thingy (dont know what he calls it)for the 5 speed. I picked one up along with the xcase cooler to help keep it properly lubricated but realistically the only way to fix it is to fix it. Its only going to get worse
Old Aug 2, 2016, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Other than making sure your clutch is properly adjusted and using a quality trans oil there is really nothing you can do. You are right in that is is the synchro which is failing. My car also does that if I shift fast into 4th once the trans gets hot. Im not sure how similar the IV is to a CT9A but Jon@TRE makes a nice trans oil cooler thingy (dont know what he calls it)for the 5 speed. I picked one up along with the xcase cooler to help keep it properly lubricated but realistically the only way to fix it is to fix it. Its only going to get worse
Trans are basically identical, later models might have a little stronger components. I'll check out that cooler kit. I'm sad because the transmission was built. My friend said after fourth goes he'll cover half of a replacement so not all is lost. Thanks for your input.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
If you can get ahold of Jon he'll be able to confirm or deny fitment. I found a link a thread about the product.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...-4th-gear.html
Like I said its not going to fix your issue but it might help to extend the life. And hey once you rebuild your trans it'll be a great piece to have. If youre not drag racing then it really shouldnt be an issue and your trans will last for years like that and then you can do it when youre ready. Thats the boat that I'm in. The racing I do is auto-x so 4th gear doesnt come into play for me.

I've also had good luck with Motul 300 trans fluid so maybe give that a try as well.
The following users liked this post:
Ferp (Aug 2, 2016)
Old Aug 2, 2016, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

The car only has been auto x'd. Never left third haha. Three passes at our local dragstrip with a best et of 12.54.