Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch starting to slip, probably need new clutch.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch starting to slip, probably need new clutch.

After 3 years, 4 months, and 65k miles, my clutch is ow starting to slip. Mainly noticed it around 4-5k RPMS in 4th gear. A little background on how I drive it. I actually learned how to drive stick on the evo but didn't take me long to get it down. When down shifting, I double clutch. I have had couple launchs with it, but other than that I daily drive it.

So for those who have the evo as a DD, how long did your stock clutch last?

And what are some suggested clutch sets that I should look into for DD but still perform better than stock.

How much should I expect to spend on labor and parts?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoch3n
After 3 years, 4 months, and 65k miles, my clutch is ow starting to slip. Mainly noticed it around 4-5k RPMS in 4th gear. A little background on how I drive it. I actually learned how to drive stick on the evo but didn't take me long to get it down. When down shifting, I double clutch. I have had couple launchs with it, but other than that I daily drive it.

So for those who have the evo as a DD, how long did your stock clutch last?

And what are some suggested clutch sets that I should look into for DD but still perform better than stock.

How much should I expect to spend on labor and parts?
No real need to double clutch but to each their own.

That's a ridiculously long time for an Evo X clutch! Most people have trashed theirs by 25k and there are a few in the 40k range. Granted most of those cars are modded.

With the mods listed in my sig mine made it about 12k miles before it slipped on me the first time in 5th gear at WOT a little slower then I should have hit it that hard around 70mph. That's pushing 400wtq though...total mileage right now is 24.5k

ACT 6 puck sprung and resurfaced factory flywheel is a good and affordable option. I'm putting that clutch in and a ACT Pro-Lite Flywheel (10lbs) when I upgrade shortly. For reference stock flywheel is 13lbs and most street lite aftermarket are the same weight as stock roughly.

The clutch is like $775, aftermarket flywheel around $350, install around $700 = $2k after tax roughly.

Don't get the XD pressure plate option, it will break your clutch master cylinder for sure, the HD pressure plate is still hard on it (standard on the ACT) but if you don't brutalize it can survive for a while. Most people end up upgrading the CMC to the SSP CMC when they can but it's almost another $1k for it + install.

Last edited by SilverEvoX; Jul 27, 2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65k on a stock clutch in a performance car isn't bad, but the Dodge Dakota I was driving for a while had 169k on it, stock clutch still chuggin' along!

We have a bunch of clutches for the Evo X, you can check the out here:
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/t...4257_4313.html

What's your budget like, and what do you want from the clutch? Since you seem to drive the car pretty gently, you could stick with a less aggressive clutch. Not only will it keep cost down but it will keep the car easy to drive as well.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the input guys

I don't plan to mod the car much as I can't really afford it, but if anything, the most I'll be adding be a exhaust system and intake. Plus, I use it for daily drive and long commutes, normally 30-60 miles a day, while occasionally 110-220 a day (if round trip).

I'm just mainly looking for something that people suggest and is better than stock clutch as I had no problems with the stock one. I don't track the car nor street race, just the occasional spirit driving.

Could have lasted longer with the clutch, but I wanted to try the 2step launch system couple times (different days) and all ended up with a slight burn smell :\

Should I get a new flywheel as well? How long should I expect it to last? I don't want it to affect the new clutch and at the same time I don't want to find out that I need a new flywheel when replacing the new clutch since that'll just cost more labor time.

@SilverEvoX: It's probably mentality but I feel like it's better for the clutch if I do. It also feels more smooth to me when I do.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-flywheel.html

Heres my review of the 6puck and streetlite flywheel. I love the combo but if I did it over again I probably would keep the stock flywheel.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:34 PM

Mine lasted 25k miles.
I got the Exedy Stage 1 organic shipped from eBay. I have been very happy - it feels the way it should have straight from the factory. Slightly heavier than the stock but still very good.

I did not replace the flywheel but had it machined at a local rally shop (they've done a lot of work with WRC/PWRC cars here in Finland). If you're keeping the flywheel you better find a shop that does a good job with that, otherwise it won't be much fun driving with the new clutch.

My clutch master cylinder also broke down ~2 months after the new clutch installation even though it was only slightly heavier than the oem. I seriously recommend you to get a master cylinder replacement installed the same time as you do the work on the clutch. I can tell you it will not be fun if it goes off in the traffic. And yes, it most likely will not last with the new clutch. Don't be a cheapskate on that and get it right away .
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

I'm at 64k miles, still on stock clutch with bolt-ons. Depends on how you drive.

I'm aiming for an Exedy twin though, I know I won't make it to 100k. Hoping for 80k at least.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by bremboy
I'm at 64k miles, still on stock clutch with bolt-ons. Depends on how you drive.

I'm aiming for an Exedy twin though, I know I won't make it to 100k. Hoping for 80k at least.
I tried testing it out today. I try pulling semi-hard on different gears but it didn't slip today. Last time it slipped I went all the way out, and it only happened in fourth gear. Now I'm wondering if it's really slipping or it was just coincidence.

Putting my front license plate in the grill where the FMIC won't affect the car right? I seem to have noticed it after I put it in. And only reason why I put it in because some stupid cop followed me all the way homo just to tell me pop my hood and ask where my front license was. Should I take it off and just leave my plate on the dash board? Or it doesn't really affect it?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I DD my Evo and thought my clutch was going out around 4k miles ago but was wrong. I went ahead and bought a ACT clutch with the street disc. Obviously it won't hold as much as big clutches but I DD mine and wanted a quiet, easy clutch. I checked and saw that it'll still hold about 400 wtq! Another reason I went with act.is that some brands like exedy have a tendency to break the CMC and I wanted to hold off on that if possible. Il have a review up as soon as I install it. At 31k miles and the stock clutch is still going strong..
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
How are you people at 6xxxx miles already? I bought mine new and DD mine. It's my only car and I'm not at 32k miles yet.. Haha. Okay, kinda off topic
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by ugakirk
How are you people at 6xxxx miles already? I bought mine new and DD mine. It's my only car and I'm not at 32k miles yet.. Haha. Okay, kinda off topic
Commute to college, 30 miles to campus and 30 miles back home daily. And over summers, visit my girlfriend which is 110 miles away and often I have to come back on the same day so sometimes driving up and down can kill some money, miles, and time.

But yeah, it's mainly the 60 miles minimum a day that brought me to the 65ks.