Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

How to get back the control when sliding in a turn on snow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn that guy caught some god footage the only thing i saw though was a flat tire no cracked bumper or none of that other stuff like a bad caliper. That was a close one though.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's funny when i slide into a turn i just hit the gas and let the AWD do its thing & goes straight!!!
AWD FTW!!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

The important part is to not drive too fast for the conditions. When I lived in MI and we had snowy or icy weather. I would test the traction with throttle and brakes. If I came up to changing conditions or an unknown area, I would always go super slow just in case.

For sliding though, as has already been mentioned. The idea is to NOT get into a tank slapper situation where you are going from one slide to another. Make the initial correction and be on your way.

This is somewhat of an example. Cold tires and into a turn to fast. Back end came out and a pretty healthy slide angle. But smooth and fast corrections helped clear it up.

Between :45 and :51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6hdF...7&feature=plcp
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
The important part is to not drive too fast for the conditions. When I lived in MI and we had snowy or icy weather. I would test the traction with throttle and brakes. If I came up to changing conditions or an unknown area, I would always go super slow just in case.

For sliding though, as has already been mentioned. The idea is to NOT get into a tank slapper situation where you are going from one slide to another. Make the initial correction and be on your way.

This is somewhat of an example. Cold tires and into a turn to fast. Back end came out and a pretty healthy slide angle. But smooth and fast corrections helped clear it up.

Between :45 and :51
Almost looked like you were trying to take the cones out on purpose. Nice save.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 08:21 PM

I also now live in MI & I have found the best thing to do is just sightly tap gas and "aim" your car where you want it to go
Old Mar 22, 2014, 06:26 PM

Immediately let off the throttle. Keep it in gear to reduce speed with engine braking. Don't hit the brakes or youll lock them up and slide worse. counter steer little bits at a time until its under control again.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 98gsxin
Keep it in gear to reduce speed with engine braking
False actually. Leaving it in gear and engine braking is asking the tires to slow the car and uses some of their available grip to do that instead of turning. Clutching in/putting it in neutral (in case of an automatic) will give the tires the best chance at having the grip to turn.

Source: Took a winter driving class a few years ago and felt the difference first hand.