Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Improper way to drive an evo!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Foren
In my defense I was driving like that all day and only goofed twice. The first one I held the throttle too long and when I let off the car snapped. The second one was like hitting ice (very unexpected). Anyway, it was a lot of fun and autobahn is a good place to do that. Plenty of runoff and smooth grass!

From what I saw in the vid, the first one you did not correct the counter rotation quickly enough. You only started to counter steer after it was already starting to slide the other way....which is ok if you meant to drift to the other side, but not if you wanted to go in a straight line after you had a bit of fun. You can't rely on the car's grip alone in those conditions to just make it hook up by itself, you would need to stop the rotation with steering preemptively.

And don't let off the gas or it will spin like that. Theres too much weight on the front wheels and the rear gets way to light. I know you think if you let off the gas the car will hook up again, and if theres enough grip it will. But if there isn't enough grip you spin like that. I made the same mistake here:

http://youtu.be/rV0pvJpxO7Y

The second one....you drifted over the curb. Of course it will be like hitting ice.

Its awesome that the run off is so smooth though. If I ran that far off at my local tracks I would need another lip and fender liner. I've been through one lip and ripped out 2 fender liners so far.

Last edited by deeman101; Mar 11, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Me and a friend were at the GTA event co-driving his White Evo IX. Autobahn in the rain is tricky. old pavement + rain = stay off the race line.

Best place to learn to slide your car around is on the ice.

Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
Me and a friend were at the GTA event co-driving his White Evo IX. Autobahn in the rain is tricky. old pavement + rain = stay off the race line.

Best place to learn to slide your car around is on the ice.

Bingo! One of my spins was on the race line and one wasn't. I did the same thing both times and the car reacted 2 different ways. BTW you had the sickest drifts going around turn one! That was the way to represent the evos! You plan on running GTA this season?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Bingo! One of my spins was on the race line and one wasn't. I did the same thing both times and the car reacted 2 different ways. BTW you had the sickest drifts going around turn one! That was the way to represent the evos! You plan on running GTA this season?
GTA has no events in the midwest this year. I may do one of their events, but thats a big maybe.

I plan to run with MCSCC at all their events this year as well as MAP's Proving Grounds.

Hope to see you at an event this year.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

MAP's Proving Grounds looks like fun, but I checked , it's a 22 hour ride for me and I already have a full schedule for this season. GTA at NJMP is fun. You should give that a try!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:35 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^Fix your trans yet Mark?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

shep's building one for me as we speak
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

MAP's Proving Grounds looks like fun, but I checked , it's a 22 hour ride for me and I already have a full schedule for this season. GTA at NJMP is fun. You should give that a try!
ha, i'm in your same shoes. full schedule for me and NJMP is about 18 hours i think. I really wish GTA would do another Autobahn event.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:14 PM

nice video, i would have not been as calm as you were in the vid sliding.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks, but there was plenty of runoff and evos love the grass!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 06:30 AM

find this stuff funny... for no apparent reasons...lol
Old Jul 19, 2014, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

We are here to amuse. LOL
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:45 AM

So for the online community, let me chime in on this relatively old video...

The slide was a result of a number of things, all from bad habits. First off, don't drive on the track like you're commuting to work. Get your hands down on 9-and-3 on the wheel and feel things out. Secondly, the reason it slid in the first place was actually due to too much steering. It's what's called "swapping ends" or understeer-to-oversteer. You had a touch of push, tried to "fix" it with a bunch of wheel. Eventually, the front tires got some bite, right when you added a ton of go-pedal, and the car agreed with the steering angle. That brings me to the final bad habit: stabbing the throttle. You can use the shock of hard throttle to fix a lack of rotation, but yours seems to be very aggressive. There seems to be a missing piece of comprehension when it comes to throttle and balance. Remember, unless throttle caused the oversteer, throttle will fix it. More throttle moves weight to the back wheels, which are the ones in need of grip when you're loose.

Bonus bad habit: Don't look where you're going, look to where you WANT to be going. When you went off track, you gave up and started looking for all the stuff you're about to hit. Race car driver 101: NEVER GIVE UP. Unless you're going backwards or spinning, keep fighting. You had a saveable slide off track, you could have avoided something had there been something worth avoiding, but you were looking in the direction of the slide, not back to safety. You weren't even checking around to see if someone followed you off or if you could find a safe way back onto the track. I'd say you gave up on saving the car in the first off-track by the second snap. You came off the throttle (which by the way, is why is went off track) and just hung on. That's a pretty good way to ensure you're going to hit something if you're at a place like Watkins Glen or Sonoma. Keep you eyes up, and think through the situation. You seem to have a cool outlook on everything and seem to sort of laugh at it, which is good. Just have that same emotion in the car and you'll save 90% of the slides you see-- even in the rain.

I haven't mentioned your second off much, for good reason. It has a little do with what I was speaking about above, but I think 95% of the reason why it snapped hard to the inside was due to the exit curbing. If you were to walk the track while it is wet, you'd notice that the painted curbing is hard to even stand on. It is remarkably slippery when wet, so stay off it with loaded tires. Apex curbs are okay to use sometimes, but often the proper rain line doesn't allow you near them anyway.

RobEvo: I don't get the idea of hitting the brakes in a slide. Never once in my life have I hit the brakes to fix oversteer unless it is passed 90-degrees. Please explain.

I've posted this before, but it's been a while. I apologize that I don't have any newer videos. We're no longer allowed to post many of them. I post this immodestly. I'm not trying to boast, simply showing what I'm talking about. This is a video from Koni Challenge GS in 2009 at NJMP in the one and only wet qualifying session. This is how I feel out grip. You'll notice that, I too like to get on the "positive side" of any corner in the wet. That's to say, I'd rather it be a little loose than have much understeer. All that said, it is not a perfect drive. It was good for pole that day, but anything more than about 1/4 of opposite lock is a mistake in my opinion. Enjoy.

Last edited by MBellRacing; Jul 22, 2014 at 11:49 AM.