Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

E-85 a/f

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 01:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Looked into an EGT mentioned earlier to find that its not a sufficient unit to support the EGT's we run.

OMEGA thermocouple TC-J-NPT-G-72 maximum temp reading = 650C
For a direct replacement for the Zeitronix stuff, here is what you need:

1/16" diameter option
Thermocouple: TJ36-CAXL-116G-6-SB-SMPW-M, $38
Swagelok fitting: SS-100-1-2BT, ~$12

1/8" diameter option
Thermocouple: TJ36-CAXL-18G-6-SB-SMPW-M, $39
Swagelok fitting: SS-200-1-2BT, ~$12

The Swagelok fitting is a one time only puchase and can be bought from a Swagelok distributor (see swagelok.com). You'll want to purchase some additional ferrule sets for the fitting as those are not reuseable when you need to install a new TC.

Last edited by mrfred; Sep 2, 2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 01:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Zeitronix does not use swagelok fittings so I am assuming you mean if you want a unit that has similar specifications to the zeitronix unit, but is not the same probe, then:
Old Sep 2, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People have been using Omega thermocouples (myself included) on DSMs since before Zeitronix existed. I don't know why you're so hung up on that one particular one.

You should really check out their catalog sometime. It's something like 8 or 9 hard bound books and weighs approximately 100lbs.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 02:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Zeitronix does not use swagelok fittings so I am assuming you mean if you want a unit that has similar specifications to the zeitronix unit, but is not the same probe, then:
The two pieces together are equivalent to the Zeitronix probe. Both are type K thermocouples (indicated by the yellow lead wire and yellow connectors), and both attach to the manifold via a 1/8" NPT fitting. The Omega probe slides through the Swagelok fitting and is swaged to it just like a compression fitting. The ferrules cannot be reused, but they are at most $5 for a pack of 10.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why even try to help at this point..... let him spend his money.

I've been running 12.0 -11.7 AFR's on E85 at 28 psi. My car only sees road racing use, so it gets driven hard, and only hard. I may bump up to 12.0 straight across.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

maybe cause he is a dealer for zeitronix
Old Sep 3, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

As for the temperature thing, you really need to start reading more.. You can configure the probes to handles even higher temperatures to over 2,000* F.

You really just can't get through to some people....

My direct replacement for the Zeitronix probe will be here shortly.

I will post pictures and links for where anyone can buy this DIRECT replacement. Even has the 1/8"NPT fitting on it...

And the Swagelock fitting is for another probe that I have laying around... FYI..
Attached Thumbnails E-85 a/f-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by tkklemann; Sep 3, 2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dhammans
People have been using Omega thermocouples (myself included) on DSMs since before Zeitronix existed. I don't know why you're so hung up on that one particular one.

You should really check out their catalog sometime. It's something like 8 or 9 hard bound books and weighs approximately 100lbs.

Yes, I have all those books in my Office.. Good stuff there!!

Omega probes for EGT are amazing probes, you can configure them specifically to your applications for most of the time substantially cheaper than any "aftermarket automotive" branded one...

I can garantee you can make a probe that will be at LEAST 2x better than an off the shelf Zeitronics probe that will burn out on you in no time..

Plus they are really nice to deal with.

I recently ordered a 3/16" diameter grounded probe for my set-up that will handle over 2,000*F and will last me probably 2x longer than any other probe I have ever had so far..

Last edited by tkklemann; Sep 3, 2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

So I received my new Probe from Omega, and just wanted to follow up with this thread as I stated I would. Attached is a piture of the probe I received from Omega, all for less than $40 to my door. I even had it within two days..
Attached Thumbnails E-85 a/f-img_4206-mod.jpg  
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:28 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by tkklemann
So I received my new Probe from Omega, and just wanted to follow up with this thread as I stated I would. Attached is a piture of the probe I received from Omega, all for less than $40 to my door. I even had it within two days..
You sir, have a nice probe....

- Bryan
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting thread. A nice mix of good info, heated debate (pun intended), and mild sexual innuendo.

For another data point, I have been aiming for 11.8-12.0 A/F ratio on E-85. This is with the FP Red, 1250cc injectors, and single walbro (for now). I just threw in some FP4R cams, so I'll have some more tuning to do in the near future. And I may need to throw in the dual pump setup to see further gains.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:50 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 97TSiAWD
Interesting thread. A nice mix of good info, heated debate (pun intended), and mild sexual innuendo.

For another data point, I have been aiming for 11.8-12.0 A/F ratio on E-85. This is with the FP Red, 1250cc injectors, and single walbro (for now). I just threw in some FP4R cams, so I'll have some more tuning to do in the near future. And I may need to throw in the dual pump setup to see further gains.
Yup you will need more fuel pump as soon as you really turn the wick up on that Red.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:02 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tkklemann
This is the zeitronix probe.

Old Sep 8, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

This is the zeitronix probe.

Can't see the picture.

Edit: Assuming since I can't see the picture at work, can you post a picture of the probe with a ruler next to it so that I can see the exact measurements of it?

Once I get that I guess I am buying a second probe now from Omega.

Last edited by tkklemann; Sep 8, 2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

can we get back to the E85/AFR topic?

We can start a EGT thread if you guys want?

Quick Reply: E-85 a/f