Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Running straight methanol

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay at this point I'll take you more seriously.

I figured you were just coming with crazy ideas but it looks like you're not just a day dreamer.

I'd avoid it on anything less than a fuel cell'd drag only car.

You realize you will be targeting around 4-5 AFR? Stoich is ~6.4 No typo....

Contact some NHRA engine builders and ask for their opinion.... Also see if you can get in contact with Alex from Dogbox racing (not even sure if they exist anymore). They had their evo on methanol.

What more are you looking for from the car? I find it quite likely that you could reach your goal without doing something this nuts.

EDIT: Looks like I typed this as you posted your response to my first message that I already thought you responded to..... if that makes sense.

Last edited by Boltz.; Feb 4, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

lol its all good Boltz... I actually got ninjad by your post earlier haha. I do have some pretty crazy ideas from time to time but it keeps me outta trouble trying to figure it all out I already know I need some better cams but really dont want anything too aggressive as I feel it will move my torque curve out of the effiencency range of the stock turbo. Also need a good o2 housing and ported exhaust side on the turbo. I have been kicking around getting one of FP's covers for the turbo as well. Just so tired of seeing all the same builds over and over if you catch my drift.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is possible if you are very careful in your set up- remember even the govt ordered fleet cars as M85 for some parts of the country for a little while back in the early 90's. There were still a couple of these Dodge Spirits (Ford also made one- in a Taurus version ?)still running around here as little as 2 years ago -running them on E85. Big fuel systems- lots of stainless steel. Sealed systems like modern cars- so they were daily drivers.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 02:28 PM

If I where you I deffinately would not switch over to methanol, you still have so many places you can pick up in eff. It would be cost prohibitive to convert to methanol. The maintenance is insane with that fuel, it's hard to keep up with it on a race car let alone a driver. You would be changing your oil every time or two that you drove the car , you couldn't drive it more than a couple miles as it would be out of fuel, you have to have the injectors cleaned alot. It's just not worth the gains you would see, E-85 is all the fuel you need.
All the cost and time in maintenance is the reason I don't run methanol, I'm on E-98.

Mike Reichen
Old Feb 8, 2011, 03:46 AM
Evolving Member

Good real world experience info there Mike. Thanks again to everyone that provided info! BTW I love your ride Mike! Whats next for it?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:50 AM

I changed to a new Shearer header, same turbo, a fresh head,maybe a little more boost.
Gonna go test on the dyno soon.
Oh also have a couple more turbos to test if we get time.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:43 AM
Evolving Member

Neat! what are the other snails your gonna try to test?