Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

MIT study - E85 and FI Motors - Good Read

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 06:28 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO
When you pump E85, you don't always get E85
This is one of the main reasons I refuse to run it.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I bought one of these a few years back and use it every time I fill up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETHANOL-ALCOHOL-GASOLINE-FUEL-TESTER-E10-E15-E85-BRIGGS-100023-795161-R12800-/251317491665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a83b097d1
Personally I dont see the point in buying an ethanol content analyzer. The whole point of testing the ethanol content is to make sure it is the correct percentage prior to filling up the car. So unless there is some sort of logic built into it which is then interpreted by the ecu to compensate fuel, timing and boost levels accordingly it really doesnt serve a purpose.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 07:23 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by heel2toe

Personally I dont see the point in buying an ethanol content analyzer. The whole point of testing the ethanol content is to make sure it is the correct percentage prior to filling up the car. So unless there is some sort of logic built into it which is then interpreted by the ecu to compensate fuel, timing and boost levels accordingly it really doesnt serve a purpose.
i remember seeing a company that makes an in-line, real-time analyzer that you can use to make on-the-fly tuning adjustments. it's really expensive, though. i'm assuming it's for use with AEM, etc.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

There are a couple aftermarket ecu's that have flexfuel capabilities. I know Pro EFI makes one and I think the new AEM V2 has the ability. Im sure there are many others as well.

But to my point, unless there is some sort of logic built into the system having a gauge tell you that what you just pumped was e50 doesnt really serve a purpose in terms of safety as its already in your fuel tank so its too late.

That's why I test it prior to every fill up and if its not where I want the content to be then I dont pump it into my car.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 08:51 AM
kaj

That's why I test it prior to every fill up and if its not where I want the content to be then I dont pump it into my car.
i'm way too lazy to do all that LOL.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

cmon it's not that bad. It takes me an extra 1 minute to test it. People at the pumps always give me a weird look though...
Old Apr 23, 2014, 09:14 AM
kaj

cmon it's not that bad. It takes me an extra 1 minute to test it. People at the pumps always give me a weird look though...
LOL. i can imagine. "wtf is this guy doin??". i used to go crazy for power.. but now i just like to keep things simple. e85 adds what seems to be a variable that is just too unpredictable. you don't know which "blend" you are getting, i keep reading about weird things with the oil, etc.
my town only has one pump anyway, so not like i could try another station if i were unhappy with it.
i'm sure it's not as dramatic as people are making it seem.. but with my setup, i'd only be looking at about another 40-50whp anyway. just not worth it for me. not to say i wouldn't mind doing a tune and seeing what it would do. i bet i could reach 430-440whp.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most station I've tested in So. Cal. tend to be around 81-82%, not quite 85%, but consistent. And as long as it's consistent, this would not affect the tune. This would be in San Diego and L.A. area.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
the article says it's about e85 in FI engines. Was that not the case?

Direct injection and fuel injected are different. Direct injection actually sprays the fuel into the cylinders much like a diesel motor and helps cool the charge better (stated in the article).

What does this mean? I have a feeling on a 4G63 motor, E85 would have much higher %'s and knock resistance compared to regular fuel.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
LOL. i can imagine. "wtf is this guy doin??". i used to go crazy for power.. but now i just like to keep things simple. e85 adds what seems to be a variable that is just too unpredictable. you don't know which "blend" you are getting, i keep reading about weird things with the oil, etc.
my town only has one pump anyway, so not like i could try another station if i were unhappy with it.
i'm sure it's not as dramatic as people are making it seem.. but with my setup, i'd only be looking at about another 40-50whp anyway. just not worth it for me. not to say i wouldn't mind doing a tune and seeing what it would do. i bet i could reach 430-440whp.
To each their own. Its certainly a PITA but I love the additional torque that I gained from switching so I just cant for the life of me imagine never running e85 again.

Originally Posted by mdsevo06
Most station I've tested in So. Cal. tend to be around 81-82%, not quite 85%, but consistent. And as long as it's consistent, this would not affect the tune. This would be in San Diego and L.A. area.
You are correct; it's all about consistency. Luckily for me I'm really good friends with my tuner so we are constantly tweaking it. For example right now I'm testing ~77% ethanol but its been consistently that for the past couple months so my car has been dialed in for that percentage.

Once it goes back up to 85% we will tweak the tune again. Now I know I am an extreme case and am fortunate to have a good connection but I'd venture a guess that if you have a solid tune that isnt on the ragged edge a fluctuation from 77-82 wouldn't make much of a difference.

Originally Posted by AWD_Launch
Direct injection and fuel injected are different. Direct injection actually sprays the fuel into the cylinders much like a diesel motor and helps cool the charge better (stated in the article).

What does this mean? I have a feeling on a 4G63 motor, E85 would have much higher %'s and knock resistance compared to regular fuel.
I briefly skimmed the article but I thought the FI as referring to forced induction not fuel injection. Am I mistaken?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:15 AM
kaj

oops. i assumed it meant "foced induction" LOL.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 01:29 PM

I briefly skimmed the article but I thought the FI as referring to forced induction not fuel injection. Am I mistaken?
You're right, in the article it was referring to FI and forced induction. I was letting people know the tests were done on a direct injection motor though. Timing, a/f ratio's, and knock are going to vary from a regular motor.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 02:03 PM
kaj

You're right, in the article it was referring to FI and forced induction. I was letting people know the tests were done on a direct injection motor though. Timing, a/f ratio's, and knock are going to vary from a regular motor.

good point.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by 04awdturboevo
buy an ethanol content analyzer ladies and gents.

Then your e85 set up would be complete.

When you pump e85, you don't always get e85.

Takes care of that other margin of error tuners can't help you with!
+1