Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Want to make an e85 transfer: Stock evo Plz help.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Want to make an e85 transfer: Stock evo Plz help.

I have a stock evo 8 2005, I have done nothing to it and am wondering, what do i need to do an 85 transfer from 91. i have read on some pages that you need a new ecu and other pages where i could just "reflash" mine and use the stock ecu to do tunes for it. Im just wondering what would you guys suggest for me to get before the e85. thank you guys.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:53 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Depends on what your looking for. If you want "Flex Fuel" where your car can adjust automatically to fuel blend changes then aftermarket ECU is probably going to be the path of least resistance. If you are cool with manually switching the ecu from 91 to E85 modes then the stock ecu will be just fine. With the latter though you will want to keep an eye on the actual blend of the E85 (it can range from E70 to E90) because your tune cannot automatically adjust for this and you may require a retune, if the fuel blend changes dramatically.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:06 PM

Alright, I guess i need too go for an after market ecu, you got any recommendations for a 350-480 whp evo in the end that can run flex fuel because that's my final goal for the car. also my dad has some knowledge in tuning cars from back in the day but has never tuned a car like an evo. do you think I could learn how to tune the car with him or will i damage anything major.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
You dont need an aftermarket ECU, I do believe you can do flex fuel setup with the stock ECU.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...n-evo-ecu.html
Old Apr 6, 2017, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
You dont need an aftermarket ECU, I do believe you can do flex fuel setup with the stock ECU.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...n-evo-ecu.html
Alright sweet, but do you know if it will be safe if my dad and I tune the car for 85 or will the motor blow up on me if we mess up (trying to save money).
Old Apr 6, 2017, 03:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by PalmTreeZ
Alright sweet, but do you know if it will be safe if my dad and I tune the car for 85 or will the motor blow up on me if we mess up (trying to save money).
Tuning is never safe unless you know exactly what you're doing. The motor WILL blow up if your timing map is adjusted incorrectly for too long. If you have any doubts it's best to save up and pay a pro efi tuner familiar with the platform to tune your car for you. A lot of us on here know how to tune our own cars, but still don't try it because of that risk. Don't forget that you will need larger injectors, some form of aftermarket boost control, and a larger fuel pump before you can begin using E85.

It takes a long time to learn how to properly tune an evo, but there is a lot of information on here that can help get you and your father started.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by PalmTreeZ
Absolutely not, if you dont know what your doing, have a professional tuner do it

Last edited by 4G63_EVO; Apr 7, 2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts
If you're that tight on funds don't even mess with the car. I spent 4 years building my ix and put in well over $50k after mods, I've been wrenching with junk cars at your age that I didn't mind blowing up. I've done most everything on my car, I know how to self tune but I still won't risk doing it and visit tuners for piece of mind (some tuners even screw up and blow up a motor so find a reputable one). Sorry if this sounds harsh but if you're asking a question like this. You probably shouldn't be modifying the car quite yet. It won't end well, the ct9a is not a beginners car. (this was more of life advice than car advice lol)