Notices
ECU Flash

Evoscan log script

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evoscan log script

Here's a short little matlab script that folks might find useful for looking at their EvoScan logs. I whipped it up this morning to look at the log of the drive to work, but other people might be able to use it for more interesting things. It'll generate a bunch of nice plots for you and it makes it really easy to generate statistics.

scripts and screenshots: http://www.cs.unm.edu/~donour/cars/evoscan

Anyway, enjoy.

d

Last edited by donour; Jul 18, 2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice work!

Looks alot like the Data Log Lab output..

Soon we'll have to make a sourceforge for the open source logger and other related tools..
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Looks alot like the Data Log Lab output..
Except that dataloglab took a lot of work and time, that only took about 20 minutes while waiting for my development server to reboot.

Soon we'll have to make a sourceforge for the open source logger and other related tools..
Yeah. I've been thinking about that. My library of useful and semi-useful car logging functions has grown seriously large. They should all be collected and posted. I have code to do so many different things that an application doesn't seem feasible, but I bet I could squeeze them into a library or framework or something.

d

Last edited by donour; Jul 18, 2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by donour
Except that dataloglab took a lot of work and time, that only took about 20 minutes while waiting for my development server to reboot.

Yeah. I've been thinking about that. The my library of useful and semi-useful car logging functions has grown seriously large. They should all be collected and posted. I have code to do so many different things that an application doesn't seem feasible, but I bet I could squeeze them into a library or framework or something.

d
I'm certainly willing to contribute a bit of time and help if it goes into a sourceforge.. I think I have a small amount I can contribute..
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its great people are making and sharing tools like these. I really loved the log viewing program Second Chance made for EVOScan v.7. Unfortunatly it doesn't work with the v.8. Currently I'm using datalog lab, and maybe I'm not using the software to its full potential but I think it's just "OK". Not really worth paying for IMO. Anyway my free registration expires in 19 days so I hope there is an alternative by then.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:43 AM
EvoM Guru

We need to settle on a platform that can be compiled to work easily for wintel, Mac OSX, and Linux.. Something I won't have a stroke trying to figure out..
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
I think its great people are making and sharing tools like these. I really loved the log viewing program Second Chance made for EVOScan v.7. Unfortunatly it doesn't work with the v.8. Currently I'm using datalog lab, and maybe I'm not using the software to its full potential but I think it's just "OK". Not really worth paying for IMO. Anyway my free registration expires in 19 days so I hope there is an alternative by then.
Its worth the money if you get to use it to its full potential.. If you didnt use my log digestion tool, you may not be seeing all of your data..

Its really worth the money if you do this alot..
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

We need to settle on a platform that can be compiled to work easily for wintel, Mac OSX, and Linux.. Something I won't have a stroke trying to figure out..
You know what I'm going to say.

Python!

Seriously though, as long as it isn't Java or ThesePeopleShouldLearnTypeTheory.Net then I can probably port my stuff over to it. A very small section my data analysis code in pyxede is in C and I doubt that many other languages would provide sufficient performance (realtime noise filtering).

d
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Its worth the money if you get to use it to its full potential.. If you didnt use my log digestion tool, you may not be seeing all of your data..

Its really worth the money if you do this alot..
I have your digestion tool and I use it with all my logs. Thank you for making that BTW. Don't get me wrong, the power graph & scatter graph are 'neat' functions but I personally just don't see those two options as making it worth paying for. Like I said above, maybe I'm not using the tool to its full potential...

When I get home I'll give the reader post above a try . thank donour!
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Well you're still going to need matlab which is really, really unfree. Octave will work too, but octave is a little harder to use.

d
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
Well you're still going to need matlab which is really, really unfree. Octave will work too, but octave is a little harder to use.

d
damn, I'm the most un-computer illiterate person there is so I'm pretty sure I won't be able to use your program. I guess I'll just have to hope the new version of EVOScan gets released with something useful that we can use.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:32 PM
EvoM Guru

I have your digestion tool and I use it with all my logs. Thank you for making that BTW. Don't get me wrong, the power graph & scatter graph are 'neat' functions but I personally just don't see those two options as making it worth paying for. Like I said above, maybe I'm not using the tool to its full potential...

Those graphs in DLL are best when you have alot of driving data (really long logs) since you can see the car's operating conditions at that point.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Those graphs in DLL are best when you have alot of driving data (really long logs) since you can see the car's operating conditions at that point.
True. Scatter graph is the first thing I do after I use your log digester. I usually view knock by TPS and then knock by RPM.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

The advantage of using a really powerful tool like matlab is that it's super easy to look at the data in new ways as you think of the.

For example, maybe knock vs. tps isn't that helpful because data is clustered in a band. How about knock variance vs. tps variance.

plot(variance(knock_count), variance(tps), "My title");

like magic.

d
Old Jul 18, 2006, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

yeah I only wish Matlab was something free, or at least cheaper.. I tried signing up for an eval but didn't qualify..

Quick Reply: Evoscan log script