Notices
ECU Flash

New Logs - These Seem Better Except One

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Evo IX DOES favor boost spikes with reduced timing. Works excellent with a properly comfigured MIVEC map.

Originally Posted by jcsbanks
Cylinder pressure spikes are what are stressful on the bottom end.

Extra timing tends to produces cylinder pressure spikes and a disproportionate amount of stress on the engine for a modest increase in BMEP (read torque).

Extra boost increases BMEP from an increase in area under the cylinder pressure curve and a relatively modest increase in peak cylinder pressure if you have the timing sensible.

The above is based on Corky Bell (Maximum Boost), and supported by personal practical experience on high specific output turbocharged engine tuning. I'm sure Dynoflash has his own views as well supported by experience, but with recent improvements in understanding of how the Evo ECUs work from disassembly and other techniques, I've not been tempted to change a thing about my tuning methodology and see lots of things I don't like in the sea of 8s and 9s or whatever at peak torque on Evos on pump fuel.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its' funny how you guys called it tuner A because the letter A is the tuner name first letter.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1
Originally Posted by vboy425
its' funny how you guys called it tuner A because the letter A is the tuner name first letter.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you guys don't have anything constructive to add to the post - save your comments.

Thanks.

Last edited by kapolani; Oct 9, 2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jcsbanks
Cylinder pressure spikes are what are stressful on the bottom end.

Extra timing tends to produces cylinder pressure spikes and a disproportionate amount of stress on the engine for a modest increase in BMEP (read torque).

Extra boost increases BMEP from an increase in area under the cylinder pressure curve and a relatively modest increase in peak cylinder pressure if you have the timing sensible.

The above is based on Corky Bell (Maximum Boost), and supported by personal practical experience on high specific output turbocharged engine tuning. I'm sure Dynoflash has his own views as well supported by experience, but with recent improvements in understanding of how the Evo ECUs work from disassembly and other techniques, I've not been tempted to change a thing about my tuning methodology and see lots of things I don't like in the sea of 8s and 9s or whatever at peak torque on Evos on pump fuel.
I could not agree more with you. That is why when you open a stock rom the mitsubishi engineers made it decrease timing as load increases. It is like that for a reason. What is that reason. Well the guy here in question is getting boost spikes which = more load so therefore ecu sees this and goes to the next load column for that extra load which is suppose to have less timing, but instead the ecu sees the same timing as the column before with less load so knock sum is caused and then it results to pulling timing. It is conservative from stock, but still the technique is there. I think he should try taking timing out where the car is knocking and then work his way back up to a happy medium.

Last edited by mchuang; Oct 9, 2006 at 05:53 PM.