Notices
ECU Flash

Lean spool qestions....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Just to clarify, with mine at least, wether LS is enabled or disenabled my AFR has a steady decline going through the gears.

The gear range and AFR are as such - 2nd gear AFR picks up where 1st left off, and the same goes for the rest of the gears where leanest is the beginning of 1st and richest is the end of the highest gear run. I'm pretty sure this is independent on LS enabled or disenabled
Lower gear will alway be richer, higher gears leaner
Old Jun 9, 2007, 01:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Lower gear will alway be richer, higher gears leaner
Lean spool is designed to make the lower gears leaner and the higher gears richer.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Lean spool is designed to make the lower gears leaner and the higher gears richer.
On my car lean spool made all gears leaner. Lean spool is isn't designed to make it richer, if it was, it wouldn't be called lean spool
Old Jun 9, 2007, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
On my car lean spool made all gears leaner. Lean spool is isn't designed to make it richer, if it was, it wouldn't be called lean spool
Sorry about that, when lean spool is enabled, all the gears are leaner than with it disabled. I meant to compare between the low and high gears when it is enabled. With it enabled, the lower gears will be leaner than the higher gears.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I still haven't really gotten an answer.....

If lean spool runs from 2500-7000 and I want it to run from 2500-4500 instead what value do I enter in the stop RPM? (the stop rpm number doesn't really correspond to an RPM)

I like the low RPM lean spool function..... but I want better control of my primary power band. Turning it off at 4500 will then allow me to better tune my upper RPM AFR and make it more consistent across multiple gears.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:00 PM
EvoM Guru

If you insert the entries into the definition file, then you'll enter 4500 for the lean spool disable value after you restart ECUFlash.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quote:
Correct, the anti-lag stop rpm is not an rpm value. The previous poster is saying that you can change the address of that entry to point to the lean spool stop rpm. Or instead of doing that, you can paste the following two lines into you ECUFlash 94170008.xml file:

<table name="Lean Spool Start RPM" category="Misc" address="1680" type="1D" level="1" scaling="RPMStatLimit"/>

<table name="Lean Spool Stop RPM" category="Misc" address="1684" type="1D" level="1" scaling="RPMStatLimit"/>

Then you'll have explicit lean spool start/stop entries.

Originally Posted by Jorge T
Is there an advantage to doing this other than having explicit values? I'm trying to understand that if by changing the stop values in the boost enhancement from 1682 to 1684 changes (or disables)the AFR value of the lean spool and your method is prefered to maintain that and add stop rpm control.
This got left behind on the previous page.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jorge T
Quote:

This got left behind on the previous page.
Since the anti-lag stop is mis-labeled, there's no harm in changing it to point to the lean spool stop rpm, especially since the anti-lag start rpm already points to the lean spool start rpm. I'm a bit obsessive sometimes, so I prefer the explicitly labeled entries.

Eventually, a newer release of ECUFlash will have updated definition files with these entries added.

Last edited by mrfred; Jun 10, 2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the anti-lag stop is mis-labeled, there's no harm in changing it to point to the lean spool rpm, especially since the anti-lag start rpm already points to the lean spool start rpm. I'm a bit obsessive sometimes, so I prefer the explicitly labeled entries.

Eventually, a newer release of ECUFlash will have updated definition files with these entries added.
There is a risk changing the anti-lag stop RPM.

I think it does more than what we have found so far. when I sandwiched the value ( start and antilag-stop rpm =2500), I saw my IPW value cut suddenly in half around 2000 RPM when it was in high load.

My car jerked so much when I was tunning for low RPM using 4th and 5th gears. I found the IPW time was actually halved suddenly. It stayed that way till 2500 rpm.

People usually don't hit this high load at low rpm because it doesn't make sense to use it but I was interested in low RPM tunning( for gas saving ). So, I gave WOT and it hit around 140 load around 2000 rpm. Then I saw this injector pulse width dvided exactly by 2.

Last edited by taenaive; Jun 11, 2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 09:07 PM
EvoM Guru

The lean spool program is fairly complicated. It does have setting that kick into action even before reaching the "lean spool start rpm". When the load crosses a threshold value at lower rpms, it does appear that the lean spool program can change the AFR. Did you verify that the same thing does not happen when the lean spool rpm is set to 7000 rpm?
Attached Thumbnails Lean spool qestions....-lean-spool-tables.jpg  
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't want to try that on higher rpm. My engine will be destroyed if that happens on higher RPM. Fuel cut in half at 21psi will be a certain disaster. I would suggest not to sandwich the value. I think that casues some weird behavior. It didn't happen when I moved around. It happend when I made the values eqal.

PS:I edited my original post it happened around 130 ~140 load according to my log.

Last edited by taenaive; Jun 11, 2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by taenaive
I wouldn't want to try that on higher rpm. My engine will be destroyed if that happens on higher RPM. Fuel cut in half at 21psi will be a certain disaster. I would suggest not to sandwich the value. I think that casues some weird behavior. It didn't happen when I moved around. It happend when I made the values eqal.
PS:I edited my original post it happened around 130 ~140 load according to my log.
I would like a clarification on what you posted. There are TWO variables that were mentioned, the lean spool enable/disable AND the Boost Enhancement Anti-Lag start/stop. Did you set both of these to the same 2500 rpm start/stop when you got the condition you reported or was it just one of them?
Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
I would like a clarification on what you posted. There are TWO variables that were mentioned, the lean spool enable/disable AND the Boost Enhancement Anti-Lag start/stop. Did you set both of these to the same 2500 rpm start/stop when you got the condition you reported or was it just one of them?
what I did was: anti-lag start = anti-lag stop = 2500

FYI
Low rpm IPW step=anti-lag start(default 2500) = some calls enable start RPM
anti-lag stop( defualt 4531)= only mitsu knows what exactly this is
HIgh rpm IPW step(default 7000) = some calls disable RPM ( this works fine)

PS: I found that anti-lag stop is not really RPM. it is more like desired AFR. that explains why it was halved. 2500 is about half of 4531. jscbank mentioned that 4531 is about 13.1 AFR

Last edited by taenaive; Jun 13, 2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

The lean spool program is fairly complicated. It does have setting that kick into action even before reaching the "lean spool start rpm". When the load crosses a threshold value at lower rpms, it does appear that the lean spool program can change the AFR. Did you verify that the same thing does not happen when the lean spool rpm is set to 7000 rpm?
intersting pic. is this the stock setting ?
looks like it only leans out after certain threshold and APR values only.
share more info about memory location for other maps please.

Last edited by taenaive; Jun 13, 2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Change the address of "anti-lag stop" up 2 and it will be an rpm value. Don't know if you knew this taenaive, so I thought I'd point it out.