Notices
ECU Flash

Turbo Boost Error Correction basics?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2007, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Boost Error Correction basics?

I was wondering if someone can post a basic understanding of the TBEC and how it effects the boost control? I'm trying to get my boost under control with a GM solenoid and I can get the boost levels I want in 3rd but it raises to high in 4th and 5th.
thanks,
ed
Old Jul 5, 2007, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
If your BDEL+Offset is dialed in right, the stock TBEC table works well.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is what I've posted elsewhere ...

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Turbo Boost Error Correction

This table is referenced when the desired engine load differs from the actual load value. The difference in load (actual -> desired) is in the left column, and the amount of correction is a variable value in the right column. The percentage of correction is applied to the wastegate duty cycle (WGDC) to raise/lower the actual load to align with desired load.
The process I use while initially tuning ...

Turbo Boost Error Correction - You'll want to set the top half of this map (negative Boost Error %) to "0" and change the values on the lower half (positive Boost Error %) to make a gentle ramp of correction with a maximum of about "-5%." See the image below ...

These settings will protect you from overboost but not skew your logged Wastegate Duty Cycle (WGDC) values while dialing in boost.
And after you're pretty much dialed in ...

Once you have your boost almost exactly where you want it, add back a little error correction to the top half of the table. A correction of 3% at -20 boost error should be fine. Taper down to 0 correction at -2.5 boost error. This will help flatten your load curve by keeping you within +/- 2.5% of your requested load. After adding back the correction for the load being lower, you might see an overall increase of about 3 in your WGDC curve. It's nothing to worry about. It's because you're not at your desired load during spool up and the BCS is now trying to correct for it. It all balances out ... that's what this table is for.

... One change I've made is to increase the BDEL values in the peak torque area to allow for slight overboost. This reduces the effects of the error correction table which can sometimes over-correct and cause a dip in your boost curve just after the boost peaks. You could also fine tune the boost limit values and the error correction to better suit your needs. Play around and have fun with it.