Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any new maps for the viii? And were i can download them
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

I tried this out. Flashed onto car fine. Started up no probs. I then was able to pull the rom and flash it to the ram with car running, no probs. Data logging also worked. I tried to change the timing in the idle areas via the RAM, but it did not seem to take per datalog. The application then froze on me and when I restarted it, it would not copy the rom info to the ram. Read all zeros in timing and infinity for fuel. At this point I was worried about the fuel mapping, so I reflashed my normal rom.

Hope this helps some,

SQ
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for testing. A few more specific questions to help me focus:

1. Can you confirm that after copying ROM maps to RAM the car ran normally when you switched to the RAM maps and that the mapswitch datalogging item changed to 1? You should be able to switch from ROM to RAM maps and back freely and see the mapswitch item change from 0 to 1 and back.

2. Did the fuel and timing maps that were read and displayed from RAM match your usual maps? (before you had the problem with 0 and infinity which was because a read was attempted when the app wasn't logging as below). You should be able to make a change to the RAM maps, write them to RAM and then read them back to confirm your changes have worked.

I have not tried adjusting idle timing in ROM or RAM, but I do see in datalogs that the ECU dynamically varies the timing away from what is mapped, so perhaps that isn't the best test? Changing the AFR from 14.7 to 15.0 will show up in AFR map at idle though, and is a good test that it is really working.

The freeze/zeros/infinity suggests that the app wasn't connected to the ECU. You have to start the logging first when the app is restarted before you can do live work. Sorry if I didn't make this clear. Does this make sense with what you saw?

If you get more chance to test it will still be very useful to do so with the key on, engine off. It is difficult to do this sort of thing without testing on the actual cars (!) but it does sound like most of it is actually working. The PC app is actually the weak part of the whole thing, the ECU code (unless there is a mistake) should be robust. That you got as far as I think you did with it actually requires so much to work that it may just have been a crash of the PC app that we're dealing with...

Last edited by jcsbanks; Dec 31, 2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

The only time the car acted "funny" is when the app froze up. Rough idle.

Yes the fuel and timing matched my ROM maps perfectly.

I will play around with it some more this week.

SQ
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

At what point did the app freeze? Was it as you wrote the ignition map back (it does freeze during the write which can take several seconds) to the car or was it some time afterwards? The app will have been saving log items to file in the directory you installed the app - you'll be able to see interruptions in the log (by looking at the first column for time) when maps are read or written, logging should resume in between times. Could you send me this/these files so I can try to work it out?

Last edited by jcsbanks; Jan 1, 2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

I'm waiting for log files from Jason to work this out. It may be something simple like the graphing in the PC app crashing. Although I'm going to plan to release DMA logging and DMA live mapping, it will still be based on the stuff in this release to do modified MUT, map switching etc.

If anyone else has chance to test this it would help to move this on. It doesn't even need the engine to be started, just a test flash, copy maps ROM to RAM, confirm they read correctly, make a change, write, confirm with a read, switch between maps and see that the logging item changes. Takes about 10 minutes to do. I can't take it further on US cars without this info as I will never see the cars in person to test this type of patch.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

email sent

SQ
Old Jan 4, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Jason. As PM, the ECU part seems to be working OK to copy maps ROM to RAM, which you were then able to switch between with the car running OK. Your RAM maps apparently displayed normally when you read them out.

The logging failed at some point whilst you were running ROM maps and then wouldn't reconnect and logged some funny values because it was just reading the echoes and not real data. MUT logging gone wrong can make a standard ECU run funny too and I think this is what then happened - I've had it once or twice when the PC logger plays up. The PC app needs work to fix it - because it was a port from the Pocket PC running serial comms it doesn't have all the proper error checking in place for the number of bytes received. The ECU code is doing everything correctly I reckon.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jcsbanks
Guide for the disassemblers/assemblers to the changes in 88590015:

82f4 Hi Oct Fuel map vector 1 - points to RAM fuel map
8474, 8694, 86b4 Hi Oct Timing map vector 1 (all 3 maps) - points to RAM ign map
1229d Switching variable routine - this removes unnecessary code and replaces it with a routine that checks our own map switch variable and imposes it on the ECU's original version. Without this code the ECU would just overwrite our changes and not allow map switching.
25192 MUT jump out - this hook in the MUT code...
49000 Jump out routine - ... checks for and processes our E0-E3 requests, jumps back in in 3 difference places depending on what we are processing.
Just looking through the changes and what I see in Jason's logs and that he told me the RAM fuel and timing maps displayed correctly. All the changes above in the ECU code must be present and correct/working for it to behave as it did in his logs. I will tidy up the bugs in the PC logger and post another version and request further testing.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somehow I am not able to run the application properly - some buttons copy 0>1, read ram, write ram - are shaded out so I am not able to press them. Also - do not know how to configure address.xml and config.xml - I am trying to do the basic test - copy/read/write on a 96530006 ROM. What am I doing wrong
Old Jan 4, 2008, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

evo828, buttons are shaded when not logging on the later versions. The version you are playing with is my new DMA one and it needs a ROM which I've not done for 96530006.

Jason, mrfred, other 88590015 owners, here is a new version of the PC logger that in my testing is much more robust. Use the ECU ROM I posted in the first thread.
http://www.banks.myzen.co.uk/NewEvoL...0015Tester.zip
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
hehe. I just tried with your original logger. The logger/mapper was a little confusing at first. After dinking around a bit, I wrote a bunch of inf to the timing table in the ECU with the car idling. RPMs took a dip, but the car kept running. :-) After I got the hang of things, I changed the timing values in the idle load/rpm regime and was able to observe the changes using the logger portion of the program.

EDIT: Trying to use the program with the 19200 baud option would cause the application to crash and the rpms to take a dip until the app closed down on the computer.

EvoScan and ScanTech both worked fine with the car idling.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John - do I need the whole E0-E6 patch for my 96530006 ROM in order to make copying ROM to RAM ?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks mrfred, very good news. I should have explained that you start and continue the logging during all the mapping. The organisation of the app reflects its origins as a Pocket PC logger - with the mapping grafted on. 19200 baud is only for ROMs with the MUT rate reprogrammed to that for Pocket PC logging (ie mine). On the latest version I've used a text box to allow a change from the default 15625 baud rate to be typed in like Evoscan and Mitsubishi logger. I should also point out that the RPM and load bits of the map are just for display reasons to show you where you are - the only bit that is read/written to the ECU is the actual 20x15 or 21x20 map.

Questions:
1. Can you confirm that the fuel and timing maps that were read back from RAM matched your ROM? I suggest because there is no error checking that the changes are always read after writing and you make a quick visual scan that the fuel and timing map changes have taken and that the values are all safe. I've never had an issue at all except for the PC app crashing which should be much less likely on the new version without the graphing.

2."RPMs took a dip, but the car kept running." Presumably this was because you made a big change to timing and the ECU had to adjust it back or work the ISCV? I just want to be sure there were no ill effects due to the process of writing and that they were due to the new timing! This could be confirmed by making adjustments to the RAM map whilst still running from ROM, then switching to map #1 and seeing the same RPM dip as before.

I should also mention that because high octane #1,2,3 are all pointing to a copy of #2 now in RAM, then you may run a little more timing than before because the original 88590015 runs different timing in the 3 maps. I and it seems others have been running them all the same anyway, but the ECU does interpolate between #2 and #1 or #2 and #3.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

evo828, this needs the ROM patches I quote in post #54 - it needs all the locations and addresses different for each ROM too. MUT routine hook to branch out to E0-E3 routine, map switch routine, hi oct fuel and ign #1,2,3 vector for map set #1 to be changed to the new RAM locations.

Quick Reply: Evo Live Map 88590015 Download Ready