Notices
ECU Flash

Patch for Failsafes on stock ECU

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mfr122887
Would you still incorporate the many triggers we discussed before so just base it off knock sum? Would IC Sprayer work for the output?
You can still use as many triggers as you possibly can, just have it activate the MAC valve or reduce the WGDC. You can't use the ICS relay output trigger on USDM Evo IX's and Tephra usually prefers that ALL Evo 8's and 9's can take advantage of his patches.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the idea of just dropping boost by reducing the WGDC. I think most people who will use this patch will control boost through the ECU so by just dropping WGDC you don't have to worry about outputs or wires or anything like that.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got caught up on this thread .. there are some great ideas here. I also like the idea of dropping WGDC when certain conditions are reached. However, dropping timing would also be a good option for those that don't have ECU controlled boost ...

Here is what I'm thinking ...

If: Knock > X
Then: lower WGDC by Y% and/or lower timing by Zº

I know that the ECU would already be pulling timing, but it you've already hit, say, 12 counts of knock, the ECU obviously hasn't pulled enough timing ... pulling another 2º or so wouldn't hurt. With super high counts it pretty much instantly drops to -10º ... maybe pulling timing is just useless ...

Perhaps a full fuel cut would be another option in severe knock situations ... say knock > 16 = fuel cut.

Obviously this would have the usual load/TPS threshold like the other Tephra patches ...
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
One set of BDEL and WGDC tables (2 tables total) that it could fail to would be the awesome.

Since there are 3 BDEL and 3 WGDC in 05-06 evos and 4 BDEL and 4 WGDC in 03-04 evos, what if we use one set of them for this failsafe?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

I really think the idea of switching to low octane fuel & timing and also having a universal reduction in WGDC is the way to go. This would allow you to basically have 2 failsafe maps....one for meth/race and one for pump.

This way you can drop timing by say 2 degrees or so, add a bit of fuel, and also drop WGDC by 50% lets say. This will significantly reduce any knock going on, boost alone would probably be enough but the timing and fuel would be nice too.

I think this would also be pretty easy to implement since you don't have to add any new tables.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
One set of BDEL and WGDC tables (2 tables total) that it could fail to would be the awesome.

Since there are 3 BDEL and 3 WGDC in 05-06 evos and 4 BDEL and 4 WGDC in 03-04 evos, what if we use one set of them for this failsafe?
If we replaced one of the stock maps with the failsafe, wouldn't that require us to keep 2 XML files for cars that aren't running this patch? I think you and I have both left all WGDC and BDEL tables in the XML after the 5.0 patch specifically for this reason ...
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Well we could have a custom XML for the modded rom. Maybe give it a new ID?

Originally Posted by dudical26
I really think the idea of switching to low octane fuel & timing and also having a universal reduction in WGDC is the way to go. This would allow you to basically have 2 failsafe maps....one for meth/race and one for pump.

This way you can drop timing by say 2 degrees or so, add a bit of fuel, and also drop WGDC by 50% lets say. This will significantly reduce any knock going on, boost alone would probably be enough but the timing and fuel would be nice too.

I think this would also be pretty easy to implement since you don't have to add any new tables.
This brings up a good point. If you are just decreasing boost, then your AFR will be leaner at 15psi than at 26psi because the load will be much less. Of course it's also 11psi less.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dudical26

I think this is the way to go. When the failsafe engages maps switch to the low octane maps with a drop in wgdc. We can either have a wgdc for each set of maps or one for both. I think one should be enough.

Now what triggers do you guys think should be included? JDM MAP, 2 byte load, TPS, RPM, Knock Sum, Spare ADC inputs for wideband and possible meth flow. Should there also be a timer, where the conditions have to be met for a specified time before the failsafe engages?

I would like to see how Tephra feels about all of this, and to get his input.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

I think 1 WGDC table will be enough. And then just have a universal drop amount. You don't need another entire table as that much precision is not needed. There should just be a paramater for how much you want to drop boost by. So if the table says 80% WGDC and then you have a failsafe condition, it will drop the WGDC by whatever you input, say 40% in this case.

This would be perfect as you can controll if you want boost to drop by only a few psi, or if you wanted you could drop to wastegate pressure. Its all up to the end user based on what they want.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Well we could have a custom XML for the modded rom. Maybe give it a new ID?

This brings up a good point. If you are just decreasing boost, then your AFR will be leaner at 15psi than at 26psi because the load will be much less. Of course it's also 11psi less.
Which breaks a lot less parts in catastrophic ways... in my experience.

Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

tepheras maps (low octane fuel/ ignition) do interpolate during knock events, correct? if we add low octane boost maps and a hard threshold that drops wgdc a specified amount and goes completely 100% low octane maps with no interpolation for a specified # of seconds or until throttle lift, that would cover the fail safe pretty well
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The idea with ANY boost limiting failsafe is to tune the car for both boost/load levels. You literally tune the car for pump gas at wastegate pressure. No issues.