Notices
ECU Flash

flashing check engine light but not constant...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flashing check engine light but not constant...

I guess I will start out that my car is bone stock except for the tune...I had a local tuner...several people in my area along with many people here have used his services...well needless to say after I got the tune I would get a flashing check engine light for a split second and then the light would disappear...its never constant and doesn't appear all the time...sometimes I can be going in 3rd gear at about 4000 rpm and just before shifting to 4th the check engine light will flash for a split second...sometimes on a highway when I am in 5th gear and just step on it...the light with flash...and today I was trying to launch the car at around 3000 RPM and when I was feathering the clutch the light flashed again...this is kinda annoying because the code doesn't registers since the check engine just flashes...I don't think its the tune because it doesn't seem to be affecting the cars performance...and there was 0 knocks when tuned...

To make matters worse...I took the car to dealership sevaral months ago and explained the situation to them...they informed me that they have never heard of a check engine light just flashing for a split second...and let alone doing it at random times very seldomly...I can go days without seeing it or can happen more than once on the same trip...they couldn't find any codes when they were doing the diagnostics...

I am confused...as I thought I had the problem fixed...when I went to the dealership I did explain to them that my car constantly smelled like gas...and finally saw some leakage coming from my gas tank line...it turned out that one of the lines that is coming from the gas tank and is below the rear seat wasn't in all the way...perhaps is got lose causing the light to flash...BUT that has been taken care of by the dealer as they put whole bunch of machines and explained to me that the car passed after the reconnection of the line...

The funny thing was that right after I left the dealership the damn check engine light flashed again...lol...but it disappeared for about 2 months...and now its back again...WTF...the car does not smell like gas...but I will check for leakage in the morning...any ideas guys??? its not affecting the cars performance what so ever...at least I don't think it is...the car is stock so its not all that fast...
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well generally speaking, a constantly flashing CEL means that there is a problem somewhere severe enough to cause catasrophic failure to the cat and other emissions devices... but as for one just going for a split second? Thats a new one to me... Do you know anyone that has a high prices scanner, like a shop or something? Usually the ECU will store certain DTC's that arise, even though they don't set off the CEL...
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
who was your tuner?

there is a patch for knock that blinks your cel

and based on the situations you experienced the issues that would kind of make sense

if that's the case your tune needs some work
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

is it fading in and out with the throttle? can you tell wether or not the battery light is doing the same thing? in anycase, tke the insulation off of your positive battery terminal, and check the 60amp and 100amp fuse thats built into the terminal conection. if either is burnt out, you will need to order a new one. if you ignore this, your battery will not charge, and your car will eventually die on you and not start. good luck finding a place to ship you one of those new terminal pieces, i had to overnight mine from texas...
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LongIslandOZ
Well generally speaking, a constantly flashing CEL means that there is a problem somewhere severe enough to cause catasrophic failure to the cat and other emissions devices... but as for one just going for a split second? Thats a new one to me... Do you know anyone that has a high prices scanner, like a shop or something? Usually the ECU will store certain DTC's that arise, even though they don't set off the CEL...
see...that's the thing...the damn check engine light will only flash for a split second and than disappear and will not register any kind of a code...NOTHING...like it never happened...and its not like every time you step on it or shifting at specific RPMS or gears...its pretty much random...The dealership checked it on their scanner and came out with nothing...the only reason they told me I possibly experience the check engine light when the fuel line wasn't connectd all the way and gas was leaking...pretty much it need to be snapped back in...this is so annoying...I can go days without having the light come on...this makes me think that its not to serious but who knows for sure...
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Davethewave
is it fading in and out with the throttle? can you tell wether or not the battery light is doing the same thing? in anycase, tke the insulation off of your positive battery terminal, and check the 60amp and 100amp fuse thats built into the terminal conection. if either is burnt out, you will need to order a new one. if you ignore this, your battery will not charge, and your car will eventually die on you and not start. good luck finding a place to ship you one of those new terminal pieces, i had to overnight mine from texas...
the batter light is not doing the same thing...its just the check engine light...I had this issues for about 9 months now...the car has not died once...I have no idea guys...perhaps I need to speak to my tuner...lol
Old Aug 3, 2008, 02:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
post up your rom if you want... if its patched then we can help you with it...
Old Aug 3, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Lol it probably is patched so the tuner can see the knock.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Slo_crx1
Lol it probably is patched so the tuner can see the knock.
I called my tuner...and he told me that the check engine light is normal...he explained to me that its to let the driver know that there is a knock...but the evo knocks naturally...can anyone confirm this is OK...? the word knock kinda suck to hear but I know the tuner knows what he is doing...lol...thanks guys...BUT the thing that gets me is that the check engine light doesn't come on all the time...just at random times...I can be driving for couple of weeks before I can see one flash...OR it can flash several times like 2 or 3 in a given day when I am making a 50 mile trip somewhere...I am confused...please explain to me what you know...I am new when it comes to turbo cars...tuning...the eVo...lol...

Last edited by highbredcloud; Aug 3, 2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tephra
post up your rom if you want... if its patched then we can help you with it...
LOL...you are definately talking to the wrong guy...I don't know squat about these cars...I just fell in love with the way it looks and handles and has potential to be really fast...anyways...my tuner says its normal...can you guys concur? again the check engine light flahes for a split second and at random times...sometimes I won't see it for days or months...
Old Aug 3, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

I think if you can recreate it at a given time, like 3rd and WOT then there is a problem with the tune.

If it can't be recreated then I wouldn't worry about it unless it occurs often (like every time you drive it). Another thing you can do is get out the laptop and log a bunch until you see the flashing light. Then review the logs as see how many counts of knock you're actually getting.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 04:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yeah if it doesn't flash when your not at WOT then its ok.

if it flashes at WOT then go see your tooner

you can even bump up the "load threshold" so it wont flash when putting around town...
Old Aug 3, 2008, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by highbredcloud
I called my tuner...and he told me that the check engine light is normal.
this is troubling to me. i had a ix with 3 different flashes, both mail-in and custom and never once had a check engine light.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by legal-z
this is troubling to me. i had a ix with 3 different flashes, both mail-in and custom and never once had a check engine light.
In this instance, the flashing check engine light is a "knock light" and part of Tephra's patches. It is supposed to flash if there is knock.
The following users liked this post:
AustEvo (Jan 4, 2018)
Old Aug 4, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
In this instance, the flashing check engine light is a "knock light" and part of Tephra's patches. It is supposed to flash if there is knock.
OK...that's what my tuner said...BUT is a tune suppose to have knocks? I mean he did show me an excel spreadsheet and there was 0 knocks through out so why would the light flash to begin with? I was told that its normal...that is just a sensor detecting a knock...but is it really how a tune is supposed to work? thanks guys...I guess all of these reply's are making me reassured...but I would like to have a good nights sleep and now worrying about my car...

Quick Reply: flashing check engine light but not constant...