Notices
ECU Flash

Stock tune + 15% displacement. Will it run?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock tune + 15% displacement. Will it run?

So my low mileage EVO spun a bearing. It's getting stroked. My question for all you stock ECU experts is, Do you think it'll start up and drive around on the stock tune? Will the stock ECU handle a 15% increase in displacement?

I'm not talking about making optimum power or anything. I'll have a wideband and stock boost controll.

I was thinking it might because it can already compensate for extreme cold maybe it can compensate for more air molecules being pulled in because of increased displacement.

I will do a street tune pretty quick i just wanted to get your thoughts.

also a side noobish question. With the OBD->USB cable let me attach the AEM UEGO so i can log lambda from the UEGO?
Old Sep 19, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure about the stock ECU being able to handle a stroker motor. I imagine that with the increased volume of air being drawn through the MAF sensor that it would hit much higher load values then before (2.0 vs 2.3). This would cause it to hit fuel cut much sooner if you are still running stock injectors, I think.

As for using the Tactrix cable to log Lambda from the AEM UEGO, short answer, NO. You can make a logging cable to log the signal from the blue wire from the UEGO if you have a serial port or get a serial to USB adapter. There has been some discussion about plugging the blue wire into an unused pinout on the stock ecu and logging it that way but I am not sure of the results. I have all of the stuff to make the logging cable, you can get all of it at Radio Shack or similar store.

Josh
Old Sep 19, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't messed with the Logging software yet at all (This is kinda unplanned) Would it have a problem logging ECU parameters at the same time as logging serial port information from the UEGO?

I REALLY want to stay on the Stock ECU for as long as possible. I spent almost 2 years workign with the AEM EMS on my SR powered 240. It was a great system but startup and idle were never as good as I would have liked. I've learned even more about tuning sense then but I really like the idea of keeping the stock ECU sense this is really just a DD and weekend warrior. Heck it'll probably keep the stock turbo for the forseeable future.

Last edited by Rob_GPT; Sep 19, 2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 09:13 AM

I am using the evo VIII computer in my 2000 eclipse with evo turbo. It has a 2.4L and runs great on the stock evo computer.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Yes you can drive the car around on the stock tune, unless you have larger injectors, but even then you can just rescale them. Obviously you don't want to beat on the car and you would want to tune it as soon as possible
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

It'll work fine. I'd recommend pulling some timing out (2-3 degrees) in the higher load areas to be on the safe side as the strokers typically don't require or like as much timing as the 2.0s.

-Paul
Old Sep 19, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

From my reading the 2.0s don't like as much timing as what exists in the stock tune. We've got pretty good 93 octane here in south mississippi though. I'm really wanting to be able to drive it to work and stuff to get it broken in before i spend money at the dyno.

I'm starting to get excited about this whole ordeal. At first it was awful but now i can see the silver lining.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
For running a new motor in it *should* be fine.

But really is it that hard to stick a WB02 and do some quick logging/tuning to make sure AFR's are ok?
Old Sep 20, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tephra
For running a new motor in it *should* be fine.

But really is it that hard to stick a WB02 and do some quick logging/tuning to make sure AFR's are ok?
Oh i'm doing that 100% I just wanted to know what to expect. The wideband has been on the car sense before the bearing incident. I don't have the cable but it's on it's way too...
Old Sep 23, 2008, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rob_GPT
Will the stock ECU handle a 15% increase in displacement?
Yes it will... You will just need to make sure your AFR's are in line especially on boost...

Timing is dependant on the size of turbo your using, on turbo bigger than a GT30R and boost levels higher than stock - removing 2-3deg of timing is a good idea...

~You will also want to rescale load values between 200-300 on the stock map:
200 220 240 260 280 300
to
200 225 250 275 300 350

For a starting point... Later you can improve the resolution after logging some data and figuring out what scaling will benefit your set-up the most.

~Up your Boost Load limits

~Important to note if your chaseing power that the stock MAF is a flow limitation even with an after market filter...

~The Exhaust manifold and hotside on a 2.3L/2.4L is also a bottleneck especially stock frame turbo.

Enjoy!