Notices
ECU Flash

BCS testing data

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TouringBubble
I wish I could send my Perrin solenoid to you for testing.

I'm making assumptions based on your data, but it seems that a 3-post solenoid that doesn't require a resistor might respond as well as the GM solenoid.
Hi mate,

You are satisfied from your perrin GM solenoid?

I want to buy also and I still not know what type ...

Do you need also something else except the solenoid?

How you tables are looking after you add perrin solenoid?

Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2009, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Were there any tests done yet mrfred on the perrin solenoid or ingersoll rand solenoid (which I believe is the same as perrin)?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by I4UnderPressure
Were there any tests done yet mrfred on the perrin solenoid or ingersoll rand solenoid (which I believe is the same as perrin)?
Sorry, but I never received one from anyone to test. I doubt its better than the GM. The GM strikes a very good balance between flow and pressure oscillation.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
do you have any data from the mac valve and holding pressure?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 07:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
do you have any data from the mac valve and holding pressure?
There are several different models of MAC valves that can work as a BCS. The model that I tested was the highest flow of all the solenoids that I tested. However, in terms of maximum boost holding capability, what matters is the ability to bleed the maximum amount of pressure from the WGA diaphram. All three port solenoids (GM, Prodrive, MAC, Ingersoll Rand, etc) are equal in this capability because at 100% duty, they block air pressure from the boost source and allow the WGA diaphram to see atmospheric pressure (lowest possible pressure source).

The difference among the three port solenoids is the ability to be able to tune a wide range of WGA pressures when the BCS is cycling. Here the MAC did poorly because the high flow rate means that even with a low duty cycle, its still bleeding a large amount of pressure. The high flow rate also causes the WGA diaphram pressure to go through wide pressure swings as the solenoid opens and closes.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Couldn't the use of restrictors reduce the fluctions?

A restrictor on the vent line and a sligthyl larger restrictor on the source line should reduce the fluctions.

I guess the only reason for doing this would be to use the less expensive MAC valve. May also reduce the amount of air bleed off which would reduce the size of the "leak" that the boost controller causes.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Yes, restrictor pills could be used. Someone would have to figure out what size pills worked best. Another thing to keep in mind with the MAC solenoids is that their standard design is rated to work in temperatures up to only 60C (140F). The OEM mounting location for the BCS will definitely see higher temperatures than 140F during routine operation. Not trying to knock the MAC solenoids but just pointing out their limitations.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah

I know my old AVCR had what looked like a relabeled MAC valve and I had nothing but issues with that boost controller.

I've got a MAC valve sitting around that I inteneded to setup ECU controlled boost with. If I ever try it out, I'll post up about how well it actually works. Good luck to anybody else using one.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 06:30 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Yeah

I know my old AVCR had what looked like a relabeled MAC valve and I had nothing but issues with that boost controller.

I've got a MAC valve sitting around that I inteneded to setup ECU controlled boost with. If I ever try it out, I'll post up about how well it actually works. Good luck to anybody else using one.
Mine seems to work relatively well, but I haven't tuned any other BCS on an evo to know for sure. I bought a gm just for the hell of it but I haven't had a chance to put it in yet.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

I run my MAC valve with a .040" restrictor.

I've just determined that I've maxed out the FP Red and there isn't much more i can do about it.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 03:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is there any plans to test a GRIMSPEED Valve (glorified MAC valve) and a PERRIN which is supposed to be another glorified MAC valve?

I am just wondering... I have evoDynamic's MAC valve and I am debating whether or not get a GM/AC DELCO boost solenoid?

Is there any difference between a GM and AC Delco solenoid are they both exactly the same?

EDIT: I just tested my EVOdynamic's MAC valve it is has a resistance of ~31 Ohm.

Last edited by Clipse3GT; Oct 25, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 05:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Is there any plans to test a GRIMSPEED Valve (glorified MAC valve) and a PERRIN which is supposed to be another glorified MAC valve?

If someone sends me one, I'll test it.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
If someone sends me one, I'll test it.
Thought you were going to disassemble your setup you had for testing?

FYI, that MAC that I sent you is still sitting in the box you shipped it back to me in about 3 feet from my keyboard.

*edit* After looking at that GrimmSpeed valve they have listed, it looks IDENTICAL to the one I sent you for testing.

Last edited by GotWheelHop; Oct 26, 2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: forgot a bit
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by GotWheelHop
Thought you were going to disassemble your setup you had for testing?

FYI, that MAC that I sent you is still sitting in the box you shipped it back to me in about 3 feet from my keyboard.

*edit* After looking at that GrimmSpeed valve they have listed, it looks IDENTICAL to the one I sent you for testing.
Wassup. :-) Thanks for sending the MAC back then. My Prodrive 3-port that I bought is sitting in a box too. Seems that GM does at least one thing right. Yeah, the BCS benchtop testing setup is completely dismantled, but I can put it back together within a few hours. I have one of the OEM EGR 3-ports I'm going to be testing for Bryan soon. Wouldn't be much extra work to test the GrimmSpeed if someone was willing to send one.

MAC has a variety of options with their 3-ports, and I believe that GrimmSpeed had some custom specs, so I suspect it does behave a bit differently than the AEM MAC.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
I have one of the OEM EGR 3-ports I'm going to be testing for Bryan soon. Wouldn't be much extra work to test the GrimmSpeed if someone was willing to send one.

MAC has a variety of options with their 3-ports, and I believe that GrimmSpeed had some custom specs, so I suspect it does behave a bit differently than the AEM MAC.
I hope that the EGR solenoid works. I now have a surplus one sitting in my garage after switching to the new v7 rom. Hehe.

As for the GrimmSpeed one, kudos to them for not taking an off the shelf unit and rebadging it, like many other companies have done.

Come back to Vegas soon. I'll let you behind the wheel of a big turbo'd evo and buy you some more

Quick Reply: BCS testing data