Notices
ECU Flash

BCS testing data

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
i tested a greddy bcs and it has a resistance of ~38 ohm.
does that mean i can use the greddy valve with no resistor?
Old Dec 25, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by black E
i tested a greddy bcs and it has a resistance of ~38 ohm.
does that mean i can use the greddy valve with no resistor?
I forget what the impedence of the stock BCS is off the top of my head but it won't hurt to install a 1 ohm,1/2 watt resistor in series. It won't negatively affect the performance IMO, especially since the voltage drop is less than 0.4 volts to the BCS so the latency won't suffer. I find that having the inline resistor helps regulate the power spikes sometimes assosiated with coils. I would imagine the ECU output circuit has a resistor in parallel already to help with this though. Basically the same as a fuel injector driver circuit.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

the stock BCS that i tested is 33~35 ohm.
if i add the 1 ohm 1/2 resistor, wont that increace the greddy BCS to around 39~40 ohm?
is that ok?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by black E
the stock BCS that i tested is 33~35 ohm.
if i add the 1 ohm 1/2 resistor, wont that increace the greddy BCS to around 39~40 ohm?
is that ok?
Ahh, I always thought the stock BCS had a higher impedence than that. If thats the case, the resistor isn't necessary.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

^^thanks!
it working great with my 35r kit with 38mm tial external WG.
i tried the EGR solenoid and the GM bcs but i could not get the boost under control with either of them....
Old Jan 2, 2010, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Is there any plans to test a GRIMSPEED Valve (glorified MAC valve) <snip>
Originally Posted by mrfred
Wassup. :-) Thanks for sending the MAC back then. My Prodrive 3-port that I bought is sitting in a box too. Seems that GM does at least one thing right. Yeah, the BCS benchtop testing setup is completely dismantled, but I can put it back together within a few hours. I have one of the OEM EGR 3-ports I'm going to be testing for Bryan soon. Wouldn't be much extra work to test the GrimmSpeed if someone was willing to send one.

MAC has a variety of options with their 3-ports, and I believe that GrimmSpeed had some custom specs, so I suspect it does behave a bit differently than the AEM MAC.
I bought a GrimmSpeed BCS a while back and am too busy to install it at the moment, along with some other minor mods I have been meaning to install, especially since at that point I'd have to do a complete retune anyway, so I am planning to take the opportunity to get Tephra V7 up and running with the new mods ... anyway, the end result is I can manage without my GrimmSpeed BCS for a while if you are still willing to put your testing setup back together to test it.

PM me the address to send it to, and when e.g. which week(s) you think you would need it for testing, if you are still willing test the GrimmSpeed BCS.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 08:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCal Rally

PM me the address to send it to, and when e.g. which week(s) you think you would need it for testing, if you are still willing test the GrimmSpeed BCS.
I haven't been excited enough to make the time to test the OEM EGR 3-port solenoid, but I love putting advertising to the test, so I will definitely make time to test your GrimmSpeed and the OEM EGR 3-port. PMing you with my snail mail address in just a moment. Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:59 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally used a OEM 3 port. It runs a really odd WGDC curve for the same amount of boost other 3 ports run.

I'd will be very interested in seeing the tech testing of it.

- Bryan
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:18 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
I finally used a OEM 3 port. It runs a really odd WGDC curve for the same amount of boost other 3 ports run.

I'd will be very interested in seeing the tech testing of it.

- Bryan
I can't disagree with you... so much less WGDC, however it has been working wonderfully for me...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to see the testing on the oem 3-port as well.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:26 PM
EvoM Guru

The GrimmSpeed BCS from SoCalRally was in my mailbox today. Might be able to test it this week, but probably will be next wek.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't been excited enough to make the time to test the OEM EGR 3-port solenoid, but I love putting advertising to the test, so I will definitely make time to test your GrimmSpeed and the OEM EGR 3-port. PMing you with my snail mail address in just a moment. Thanks.
Hi mrfred,

Do you have an update regarding when you might be able to make time to test the GrimmSpeed and OEM EGR 3-port BCSs, incl. some comparisons to the GM BCS?

I too am interested to see the results.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by SoCal Rally
Hi mrfred,

Do you have an update regarding when you might be able to make time to test the GrimmSpeed and OEM EGR 3-port BCSs, incl. some comparisons to the GM BCS?

I too am interested to see the results.
I just finished getting my Evo back on the road after waiting for various parts for three weeks. I'll be away from work (where I do the testing) until next Tuesday. I promise that I'll do the BCS testing next week.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Cool, glad to hear you got your Evo back on the road, and thanks for the update.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just finished getting my Evo back on the road after waiting for various parts for three weeks. I'll be away from work (where I do the testing) until next Tuesday. I promise that I'll do the BCS testing next week.
Awesome. I've been wanting to buy the Grimmspeed EBCS for a while now, but I've honestly been waiting to see the results from your test before buying one.

Quick Reply: BCS testing data