Notices
ECU Flash

timing during spool up

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing during spool up

Guys, can you advise me, how should I set timing during spool up ?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
umm add till it knocks.... then to make it conservative save that rom then make a copy of it and pull like 1 to 2 degs that you edited.... i have a small *** turbo and in 3rd gear with in the 2500 cell it takes 3 load cells to hit full boost / spool up. just use evo scans map tracer load the rom you have ON the car into the bottom and see were it spools and as i said add till it knocks.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Bad advice. Remember that heat helps the turbo spool up faster.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by racer135
^^ Bad advice. Remember that heat helps the turbo spool up faster.
And timing makes torque. In my experience less timing helps the turbo spool faster but more timing makes more power even though the boost was slightly lower. This was on pump gas, it may be slightly different on race gas or E85.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

ok, car spec is 272` cams, 2.120l engine and fp-red turbo. What is better, decrease timing and get earlier spool up or adjust timing just before it knocks ?

If I go the first way, decrease timing for better spool up, is there any sort of rule, to decrease X` of timing from lets say perfect timing (the one just before it starts knocking). What is your personal experience ?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I've found pulling timing to cause hotter temps to spool the turbo quicker does 2 things:

1. Makes the turbo feel like a light switch on power delivery...
2. Makes the car slower

The key to fast boost response is to get above the boost threshold RPM as quickly as possible. This means make as much power up until then as possible, which means properly tuning the car to MBT at every point in the map if at all possible.

The added benefit is the car feels much more responsive through the transition ranges and is much more predictable should you be into turning the steering wheel.

Backing off timing in the main map to spool the turbo faster is absolute crap IMO.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Just upping timing until you see knock, you may end up with the timing too high depending on how hard/easy it is to get knock without boost (low/no boost on a fairly low compression engine).
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I've found pulling timing to cause hotter temps to spool the turbo quicker does 2 things:

1. Makes the turbo feel like a light switch on power delivery...
2. Makes the car slower

The key to fast boost response is to get above the boost threshold RPM as quickly as possible. This means make as much power up until then as possible, which means properly tuning the car to MBT at every point in the map if at all possible.

The added benefit is the car feels much more responsive through the transition ranges and is much more predictable should you be into turning the steering wheel.

Backing off timing in the main map to spool the turbo faster is absolute crap IMO.
well said! I tried the lower timing method to increase spool, and all it did dor me was feel slow and weak. No sense in faster spool, if the TQ isnt there...

First thing to know, is every car is different, so you need to find what works for your individual car!

W/ my IX, I start w/ 18*, 16, 13, 11, 8, 6 (in the respective cells, starting @ 2000), and 5* @ peak, although I have started w/ 20* and tapered w/ less than 3 knock, so I might start working my way back up... W/ that being said, I have seen some quality vendors post info/maps that spool w/ substantially less timing during spool...
(24.5 psi @ peak)
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

thanks a lot about your advise guys
Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

FYI... In general Toque is proportional to boost.

Everyone has their tuning methods. For me spooling is dependant upon having enough exhaust gas energy (either heat or velocity) to drive the turbine. If the turbocharger does not respond quickly enough more exhaust energy is needed. This can be done by adding massflow or adding temperature. Massflow is dictated by engine hardware at WOT (i.e. displacement) so little can be done in the calibration to improve this. Temperature can be increased by retarding ignition lead or richening hte mixtureslighly to allow more combustion to happen outside the chamber on the way out to the turbine. If gasses are still burning and expanding as they pass the turbine more power is harnesses there rather than by the pistones. Althought it results in a slight decrease in cylinder pressure a quicker spooling and the resulting manifold pressure rise quickly offset this.

As I said everyone has their own tuning methods. Do what works best for your setup. Not necesarily what others do. Supercahrgers are another story.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey thanks guys. i wasnt aware of that. . i thought timing would just make everything better. now i know some thing new...im going to adjust my map fore this i see if it pulls better.