Notices
ECU Flash

Speed Density Throttle Splutter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I loaded the log in LogWorks and took a look.

It does look like the issue I experienced, just a lot more subdued. There is an IPW jitter, just not as bad as what I saw.

Maybe try out fix #1 to see if it smooths anything out on your ROM. When mrfred made the fixes way back when, I only tested #1 and it smoothed it out completely. I personally haven't tried #2 or #3, but others have had mixed results. Maybe this ROM doesn't respond as well to #1? I think Jamie mentioned he had tried both, though, but worth a shot anyway.

Also, looking at your logs, your LTFT Lo is maxed out and your STFT is very negative as well. You need to tune your VE maps a lot more, which will also help in the transition during the LTFT Lo to LTFT mid switchover.

One interesting thing I saw in this ROM when looking at Jamie's logs was that the LTFT switchover point for mid-->high and high--> mid were very low, like 156 and 144Hz. That's a very narrow range and it seems as if the LTFT mid would have a hard time adjusting.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
I loaded the log in LogWorks and took a look.

It does look like the issue I experienced, just a lot more subdued. There is an IPW jitter, just not as bad as what I saw.

Maybe try out fix #1 to see if it smooths anything out on your ROM. When mrfred made the fixes way back when, I only tested #1 and it smoothed it out completely. I personally haven't tried #2 or #3, but others have had mixed results. Maybe this ROM doesn't respond as well to #1? I think Jamie mentioned he had tried both, though, but worth a shot anyway.

Also, looking at your logs, your LTFT Lo is maxed out and your STFT is very negative as well. You need to tune your VE maps a lot more, which will also help in the transition during the LTFT Lo to LTFT mid switchover.

One interesting thing I saw in this ROM when looking at Jamie's logs was that the LTFT switchover point for mid-->high and high--> mid were very low, like 156 and 144Hz. That's a very narrow range and it seems as if the LTFT mid would have a hard time adjusting.
Well today I tried stutter fix 1, it didn't make any difference, it drives just the same

I switched to 9653 v7 SD, (had to swith it to make it think it was using fuel temp sesnor as it didn't like it when it thought it was using MAT sensor and threw a cel) and initally it had the same stutter.

I used stutter fix 1, and it initially worked 100%, however a few minutes later I got another cel this time P0125 (too long to go into closed loop).

Tried stutter fix 2, this didn't remove the stutter, but gave me a cel for road speed sensor.

Tried stutter fix 3, again this didn't remove the stutter, but gave me another cel for P0125.

Also the car would not idle with 9653, it would hang around 650rpm and then finally stall, unless a fault code was thrown up, then it would try and idle around 1000rpm, but as soon as the cel was cleared it would stop idling again

So I gave up and went back to 90550001 for the time being

Have to mention the car seems far more aggressive on 90550001 than it does with 9653.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cossie1
I switched to 9653 v7 SD, (had to swith it to make it think it was using fuel temp sesnor as it didn't like it when it thought it was using MAT sensor and threw a cel) and initally it had the same stutter.

I used stutter fix 1, and it initially worked 100%, however a few minutes later I got another cel this time P0125 (too long to go into closed loop).
I forget if closed loop has anything to do with IAT, but it may because you set it to use the fuel temp sensor as IAT and your IAT isn't connected/patched to it.

Also, if you choose the fuel temp ADC as the input for MAT and don't have it patched and wired in, then your MAT will be off and cause load, fueling, timing, etc, to be off.

Originally Posted by cossie1
Also the car would not idle with 9653, it would hang around 650rpm and then finally stall, unless a fault code was thrown up, then it would try and idle around 1000rpm, but as soon as the cel was cleared it would stop idling again
This is a common issue changing to 9653xxxx. I think it deals with the ISCV tables being a bit different in this ROM. What most people to do resolve it is to reset the BISS with the SAS mode enabled.

Also, from your logs that you posted on 9055, your idle trims were maxed out and need to be tuned. That could be exacerbating the issue.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
I forget if closed loop has anything to do with IAT, but it may because you set it to use the fuel temp sensor as IAT and your IAT isn't connected/patched to it.

Also, if you choose the fuel temp ADC as the input for MAT and don't have it patched and wired in, then your MAT will be off and cause load, fueling, timing, etc, to be off.

This is a common issue changing to 9653xxxx. I think it deals with the ISCV tables being a bit different in this ROM. What most people to do resolve it is to reset the BISS with the SAS mode enabled.

Also, from your logs that you posted on 9055, your idle trims were maxed out and need to be tuned. That could be exacerbating the issue.
After switching roms, it wipes the memory of the ecu, so all fuel trims etc were reset.

As for the MAT sensor, I used the original OE setting in the rom so that it would run with the MAT sensor but it didn't like it and threw a cel before I had a chance to even rev the engine.

Therefore the only way it would work was to change to 03 making it think I was using the fuel temp sensor.

Going back to what you said before about the Closed Loop fuel trims Hz being narrow, what setting would you suggest trying (seems all E7 roms are set to 156 and 144 ) Should I just change these to the default E8 rom values ?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

I know that trims are reset with the new ROM, but I'm saying that your LTFT Lo was maxed on your old ROM, indicating that the idle tune is way off. Using your same VE settings, this will still be the case with the new ROM. It doesn't matter that the trims are reset to 0. It will just show in the STFT until the trims adjust.

For the MAT sensor, how is yours wired in stock? Does your car have a MAT sensor in the intake manifold stock? If so, then either setting of the 9653 ROM won't work. You need to physically either wire the sensor into the IAT pin for the MAF IAT sensor or the fuel temp pin for the fuel temp ADC. You can't simply say to use one or the other without wiring it in.

I don't know why the closed loop trims Hz table is like that for that ROM (if that's the correct table). It suggests that LTFT Mid is rarely used and LTFT Hi would be used for most cruising. I don't think that's your issue at this point, but if you want to try anything, use either the E8 settings or something lower like 800/792.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

I have a JDM IX intake manifold fitted, with the original MAT sensor fitted and the original 3bar map sensor fitted.

Both are wired into the ecu, the MAT is connected to pin 72 which is the pin the original air temp from the maf sensor connects ( I have removed the pin from the maf wiring and disconnected the maf from the car).