Notices
ECU Flash

No Knock 11psi, massive knock at 15psi??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ok, I've had to go back to an old rom and changed the scaling back.

As soon as load goes over 60, timing seems to stop following the maps, so I get massive knock. I'm assuming the change in scaling is the right thing to do, but that change in scaling is affecting something else. Hopefully someone can shed some light.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

I've changed the X Axis elements from 16 to 19 to allow me to add columns for 200, 220, and 240 load. The maps looks fine, yet I have the above issue with timing over 60 load.

I then tried not changing the column names, so the last 3 colmns are giberish and the car runs ok. I still have my 3rd gear knock issue, but in 1st and 2nd gear the car has no issues.

Why would changing the scaling affect the timing so much?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

Some good news finally in the last hour. I tried the rom as is and I have finally done 3 3rd gear pulls off the wastegate. I then tried 17psi and did 3 pretty clean pulls with that too. At this point I'm stoked.

I attempted a 20psi pull and encounted knock. I think this is related to the scaling issue.

Heres a pic of the timing map

If I change the last 4 columns to read 200, 220, 240, 260, then the car has the massive knock above 60 load. It makes no sense.

Attached also is a log from the 17psi pulls.

EvoScandataLog_2010.04.08_20.07.26.csv

Last edited by GregM; Apr 8, 2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should not have to rescale your load axis, they are already upto 260. I'm using the same rom version.
Change to these setting:
<table name="Ignition Map 1" address="3b9b">
<table name="Engine Load" address="5f22" elements="19"/>
<table name="RPM" address="5eca" elements="18"/>
</table>

<table name="Ignition Map 2" address="3cfd">
<table name="Engine Load" address="5f22" elements="19"/>
<table name="RPM" address="5eca" elements="18"/>
</table>
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks will try it. I found the xml that comes with EcuFlash has quite a few errors in it. The only Ignition map that was labelled correctly was the High 1. I think it was my Low 1, that was actually the High 2.

Believe it or not, but after making some big progress last night, I went to start the car this morning, and I'm guessing the starter motor has died. Finishing work early today to go and sort it out and if I need one, get one from a wreakers before they close.

Hopefully luck starts going my way and I have no more issues with the car after this weekend!!

The next thing on the list is replace the lifters.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Greg, I've got an Airtrek Turbo as well as an Evo 5 and live in Wellington NZ.

I read somewhere that the engine ecu contains the transmission control. Can you confirm this and if it is, can the gear change logic be changed? Have you got an updated xml for the ecu?

Cheers
Alan
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

Hi Alan

Yes, the ecu controls the tranny. I do not have the tranny info for the xml, but you can change all the settings. I have a spare ecu from a 2005 Airtrek which is a different rom. I'm waiting on the xml to be sent to me which has that info defined. What rom is your ecu?

Cheers

Greg
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:41 AM

I haven't checked yet - I didn't think that there was enough information about to carry out tuning. Now that I know the Airtrek can be tuned, I'll have a look and let you know.

Did you get your Airtrek running properly with a replacement starter, or was there another problem?

Alan
Old Apr 23, 2010, 03:11 AM
Evolving Member

It was the battery and one of the earth leads. Car is running pretty sweet and now have some FIC 1100cc High Impedance injectors on their way as I'm running out of fuel even with the 565cc ones at 17psi. At least with the 1100c's, I won't be running out of fuel On VDR, I've got it at 220kw, and thats with me tuning, and being a first time tuner, so am still learning. Hopefully I'll get boost up to 24psi before I start getting knock issues. Each car is different and I know people who have run that level of boost. Do a search for Monsta's Airtrek on here, its making 400kw

Don't use the xml that comes with ecuflash, its completely wrong and will stuff you up.

Check out http://airtreker.com/ I have my xml posted there for the 89970010 rom

Last edited by GregM; Apr 23, 2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 08:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
that issue is most definitely xml related. be sure you're using a xml for that rom. make sure its placed in the proper folders in openecu/ecuflash

if you need help contact me at tscompusa@gmail.com and i can help you with your tune.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

There were definately errors in the xml and there still could be some. I'll send it through for you to have a look at.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:38 PM
Nsk

Hi Greg!

I have the same car with the same ROM ID.
I have some questions for you:

What is the MUT adress and the adress for 2byteLOAD you are logging?
Do you look to OIL TEMP when drive?
I tuned up my Airtrek but i have the 110 and more degrees of oil temp. Is it normal or hot? This temp i have only on WOT operation, in cruise i have about 90 deg.

If you are looking for AT tables give me know, i have the xml file with this tables opened. I tuned my AT shifts it is very fast and nice
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

The MUT table values are 6A36 and 6A37.

Yes, I check oil temp, and I normally sit around 180F, so about 80C at cruise and mild throttle, so you are about right.

I'm very interested in the tables for the auto, any chance you can email me your xml?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:14 PM
Nsk

No problem, PM me your e-mail
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:12 AM

Battery

Originally Posted by GregM
It was the battery and one of the earth leads. Car is running pretty sweet and now have some FIC 1100cc High Impedance injectors on their way as I'm running out of fuel even with the 565cc ones at 17psi. At least with the 1100c's, I won't be running out of fuel On VDR, I've got it at 220kw, and thats with me tuning, and being a first time tuner, so am still learning. Hopefully I'll get boost up to 24psi before I start getting knock issues. Each car is different and I know people who have run that level of boost. Do a search for Monsta's Airtrek on here, its making 400kw

Don't use the xml that comes with ecuflash, its completely wrong and will stuff you up.

Check out http://airtreker.com/ I have my xml posted there for the 89970010 rom
Hello greg,
I also have a ATR and sometimes wonder if my battery is inadequate cause I got related issues. I am using 45Ah right now with small terminals. Need to upgrade to a bigger cranking power. What battery are you using?

Quick Reply: No Knock 11psi, massive knock at 15psi??