Notices
ECU Flash

S2 Cam Idle Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Force open-loop for idle, lower ignition timing to 3-5 degs and tune AFR for 15.5:1. The higher you raise timing at idle, the more stable idle will become. Also, the richer the idle, the less the cams will "lope". Also, please realize that the stock ECU has a feature that will help stabilize idle, called "Idle Stability Timing Control". This will show up in datalogs as a ignition advance jumping all over the place at idle. This is perfectly fine and works off the base ignition timing you put into your map at idle.

You can even get away with leaning idle AFRs even more than 15.5:1 at idle only w/ AC off. The engine is basically free spinning at idle and there is very little load on the engine. Thus, the ability to run really lean at idle with no ill effects. I wouldn't run leaner than 16.5:1@ idle unless you really know what you're doing and know how to tune the idle-to-part throttle transitions correctly. Stick with 15.5:1 unless you are a professional tuner and know what to look for when leaning AFRs at idle.
Old May 10, 2010, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Well i have been working on it and switching over to Tephra V7 seems to have helped my idle a lot, it basically sits there loping and only drops down the slightest rarely, not all the time like before.

Ill try your method above, i have done it before but i was adding timing and got the car to idle like it had no cams in it at all, which is fine but i love the lope. so ill reduce timing and take some fuel out.

Cheers mate
Old May 11, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by widge
Well i have been working on it and switching over to Tephra V7 seems to have helped my idle a lot, it basically sits there loping and only drops down the slightest rarely, not all the time like before.

Ill try your method above, i have done it before but i was adding timing and got the car to idle like it had no cams in it at all, which is fine but i love the lope. so ill reduce timing and take some fuel out.

Cheers mate
Word. Give it a try.