Notices
ECU Flash

Is there a flywheel weight somewhere in the ECU?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a flywheel weight somewhere in the ECU?

Like the above says, anyone think there could be some static value/weight somewhere for the flywheel/rotating assy? Forgive me if this was asked/answered.

Do AEM's or other standalones factor in rotating mass weights? Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evoredy
Like the above says, anyone think there could be some static value/weight somewhere for the flywheel/rotating assy? Forgive me if this was asked/answered.

Do AEM's or other standalones factor in rotating mass weights? Thanks.
If anything there would be rpm variance values for determining fault codes on sensors like the cam or crank angle. Knowing the weight of the assembly just isn't useful for calculating something in the rom.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

why am I still up? oh yeah...because I'm a UMO. for those of you that don't know what that is, I envy you.

back on topic:

In my experience, the ECU does not like lightened flywheels and this is noticable on tip-in--mainly tip-in/13-40% TPS/dead stop to roll/in first gear. It really throws off the low hz/load trims which causes the initial tip-in stutter/lean problems. Only happens in the 1000-1750 RPM ranges. Slipping and going at 2K=no issues.

I have a no-name lightened flywheel with an ACT HDSS/Street Disc. This issue happened immediately after the install--the drive home was good because it took a second of stop and go driving for the trims to get jacked up. ('girpforce/f1 racing' 13.55lb ebay flywheel--please stay on topic and don't bash lol)

A band aid I have done is to go 20% TPS on the first three RPM areas in the open loop throttle tables, but it's a band-aid and usually goes too rich naturally while parking lot cruising.

Stumble is a different issue that is related to the MAF and MAF pipe and that's another issue, but not what I'm talking about/although this may exacerbate the problem. I test drove the car after removing all of my external mods and going 100% stock for CA emissions and the problem was STILL there albeit very subtle.

I never figured a way to code for this other than use SD band-aids that were still quirky and not 100% successful. Totally cures stumble, but tip in is still goofy and lean.

Thanks for the input.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

Are you positive something else isn't wrong here? I used a ACT prolite flywheel forever and all i ever noticed was it took a lot more gas to get the car going from a stop or it would tend to stall not stutter or go lean. This of course was when i was on a maf and not full SD like in my mod list. That flywheel btw is 10lbs much lighter than the one your running.

It really seems like you got scaling/latency issues with the way you describe the problem especially the comment about going open loop and going way rich. The problem to me sounds like an injector scaling too low and latencies lower than they should be to correct for the lower injector scaling number. This would cause momentary leaness for async pulses and rich conditions on cruise.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:31 AM
Evolving Member

Eveything is fine except for sub 1750 RPM. Been trying to hunt it down for 2 years now well maybe 6 months in country lol. I can now code SH2 lol almost solely because of this (and stumble heh). What I do know is I did something to the car to make this happen.

The car has seen 2 very reputable tuners too.

We just don't have the resolution for the compensation of mod combinations yet with the stock ECU--at least the last .01%...which is me. I'm gonna go play around with qemu now for the next few months or maybe re-write, clean up, and 3d-ify the map to maf patch.

Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoredy
Eveything is fine except for sub 1750 RPM. Been trying to hunt it down for 2 years now well maybe 6 months in country lol. I can now code SH2 lol almost solely because of this (and stumble heh). What I do know is I did something to the car to make this happen.

The car has seen 2 very reputable tuners too.

We just don't have the resolution for the compensation of mod combinations yet with the stock ECU--at least the last .01%...which is me. I'm gonna go play around with qemu now for the next few months or maybe re-write, clean up, and 3d-ify the map to maf patch.

Isn't that the same as the 3d VE patch I wrote not so long ago for SD?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Isn't that the same as the 3d VE patch I wrote not so long ago for SD?
Basically, but the MAF signal is still used for high hz fueling. Your thread was my motivation heh.

I was thinking about adding 3D to the VE table or even just the MAP callibration table based on RPM to basically turn it off in the upper revs. I'de have to test it out some more though/re-think it/maybe optimize.

Still there with OK default settings heh.

http://aneeshpatel.com/roms/94170015_T5.10-MAP.rar
http://aneeshpatel.com/roms/96530006-v5.10-MAP_MAF.rar

EDIT: I'm on 2D SD right now and I'm not liking how I'm getting (subtle but there) AFR fluctuations at WOT based on OAT. Other than that it idles like my old port of bez's stuff heh.

Last edited by evoredy; Mar 28, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
In my experience, the ECU is totally fine with lighten flywheels.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
In my experience, the ECU is totally fine with lighten flywheels.
Must be the skewing of airflow in those tip in areas then...for me.

Thanks for the input. It's good to hear from people that have seen many evos.