Notices

SST MR/SE 1st gear TPS limiter FOUND!

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 10:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Finally got around to taking a look at a 2011 MR ROM.

Like has been mentioned, The 1st gear TPS limiter is at 100% (not closing the throttle at all) from Mitsubishi in this ROM, like the RA SST's.

However, Mitsubishi brought *back* less boost in 1st gear using the gear based boost tables.

So Mitsubishi is still limiting torque in 1st, just in a different way now.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:29 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Evod350z
I dont know if it does or does not have a velocity stack. He said he could do the baseline but wed have to put the stock intake back. It just sucks cause i wanted to know how much exactly i picked up from my tune.
This can really come down to a matter of cost. It takes time to strap a car to the dyno, and it takes time to put on an intake.... if you weren't specific about the baseline up front there may have been an extra associated cost that they didn't want to charge you and/or most people don't care much about (at least when they have to pay for it). Having a dyno thats not spinning and a tuner thats not tuning and working on cars far from all of the tools / etc costs time and money.

They may have been able to do a baseline before changing the MAF / fuel scalings, but is it worth risking your motor? Unlikely that the engine would blow on this specific intake, but would you have signed away responsibility for it?

I won't say that the best tuners never need to be questioned now and then, but Ivey is definitely a trustworthy tuner on here.

Last edited by fostytou; May 5, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old May 5, 2011, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fostytou
This can really come down to a matter of cost. It takes time to strap a car to the dyno, and it takes time to put on an intake.... if you weren't specific about the baseline up front there may have been an extra associated cost that they didn't want to charge you and/or most people don't care much about (at least when they have to pay for it). Having a dyno thats not spinning and a tuner thats not tuning and working on cars far from all of the tools / etc costs time and money.

They may have been able to do a baseline before changing the MAF / fuel scalings, but is it worth risking your motor? Unlikely that the engine would blow on this specific intake, but would you have signed away responsibility for it?

I won't say that the best tuners never need to be questioned now and then, but Ivey is definitely a trustworthy tuner on here.
I understand, safety reasons. It was just a peace of mind kind of thing knowing what it was making before the tune. Anyways thank you. Time for more power... never ending addiction.
Old May 5, 2011, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I understand, safety reasons. It was just a peace of mind kind of thing knowing what it was making before the tune. Anyways thank you. Time for more power... never ending addiction.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:27 PM

hows it feel should pull a lot harder my dad had his mr at ivey with perrin tb ams intercooler and piping and arc airbox it put down 330 whp 317wtq so you might be down a few ponies
Old May 5, 2011, 06:37 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Finally got around to taking a look at a 2011 MR ROM.

Like has been mentioned, The 1st gear TPS limiter is at 100% (not closing the throttle at all) from Mitsubishi in this ROM, like the RA SST's.

However, Mitsubishi brought *back* less boost in 1st gear using the gear based boost tables.

So Mitsubishi is still limiting torque in 1st, just in a different way now.
Everyone glazed over this news so far.

That's really interesting. To me it makes more sense to limit via boost then the TPS limiter. I bet response is a bit better. Too bad I don't have an MR to test it out any more.

I'm surprised how many changes mitsubishi made for 2011 cars in the tune. The GSR is a lot different, and now hearing the MR is as well. Not to mention the other subtle changes: diff pins, exhaust, wing, etc.

I would think by 2011 Mitsubishi would just throw in the towel on the evo. I'm really glad I got an '11
Old May 6, 2011, 11:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by migs647
I'm surprised how many changes mitsubishi made for 2011 cars in the tune. The GSR is a lot different, and now hearing the MR is as well. Not to mention the other subtle changes: diff pins, exhaust, wing, etc.
Is there a thread with these explained / shown? I've been a bit busy lately so I haven't been able to keep up to date fully on the 2011 mechanical changes.
Old May 6, 2011, 09:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
what diff pin change?
Old May 7, 2011, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

They put a harder diff pin in the 2011's.
Old May 7, 2011, 08:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
did they change the oil feed like jack did? or just different pins?
Old May 7, 2011, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Just pins.
Old May 12, 2011, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

These limiting tables are INACTIVE while lunching the MR?
Old May 12, 2011, 12:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by xhomm02
These limiting tables are INACTIVE while lunching the MR?
No, the car is usually launching at 5-5500 rpm anyway so it's at the trailing end if the TPS closure...
Old May 12, 2011, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
No, the car is usually launching at 5-5500 rpm anyway so it's at the trailing end if the TPS closure...
Thanks for answer.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started making a pull on your car and it was lean. I stopped.

I found that your FPR hose was blown off, fixed it, tried again........lean

We cannot baseline the car properly if you have changed the pipe between the mas air and the turbo. Alot of the time that is enough to make the car dangerously lean, especially with certain intakes.

If you want me to hold it down and make a full pull on the stock tune with the mods, come back, sign the waiver and I will hold it for you to the limiter so you can see what will happen.

If you need to make power..........ask me. Since I dyno these cars every day, I think I could give some solid advice as to a combo. But alas the parts are selected, brought to me then there should be some miracle performed.

Sean

Quick Reply: SST MR/SE 1st gear TPS limiter FOUND!