Old Jan 12, 2023, 02:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ast
Download links

- TephraMod V7 ROM: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...hramod-v7.html
- EvoLiveMap http://www.mztec.org/evo/livemap/
- JojoDiff for patching: http://jojodiff.sourceforge.net/

If you like the work of those authors, please support them!

Installation

FreeFuel ROM is built by installing the patch to TephraMod V7 ROM file.

FreeFuel patch is installed with the command jptch originalrom.bin patch.jdf newrom.bin
For example: jptch 96530706-TephraMod.bin 96530706_FreeFuel_v1.1_patch.jdf 9653E706-FreeFuel.bin

Copy the 9653E706-FreeFuel.xml file to the directory where you have installed EcuFlash, for example:
C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\mitsubishi\evo

FreeFuel patch can be installed to ROM which has been already adjusted with EcuFlash. Most of the maps and settings should be retained in the process but EcuFlash comparison function should be used to determine if there are any differences. Injector scaling calculation has been changed in FreeFuel patch so injector scalings must be entered again.

By default FreeFuel patch is set to support linear ethanol content sensor which has 0V output at 0% ethanol content and 5V output at 100% ethanol content. For example Zeitronix ECA + GM flex fuel sensor http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml

ECA analog output shall be connected to ECU pin that is used normally for TephraMod map switching:
- Evo 8 4-plug ECU: pin 42
- Evo 8 3-plug ECU: pin 64
Can anyone confirm the pins for Evo 7 GTA and Evo 7 Manual ECUs ?

The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Jan 12, 2023)
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by mines5
Hi Guys,
I am coming to the party late.
Using SD 96531706 rom, i pasted the free fuel xml in the xml folder but the free fuel tables did not show up.
Can some one elaborate the process, i have gone through the thread but i am confused.
Is there a separate BIN file for 96531706 ?

Thanks in advance.
That's correct,

The flex fuel tables will only show up once you patch your rom. I believe someone in this thread already patched the 9653. If not, let me know. The xmls job is to define the table addresses and format the data properly from the .bin or .srf file for us to read it and work with it. If the tables and addresses in the rom are not added to begin with, they won't show up.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
That's correct,

The flex fuel tables will only show up once you patch your rom. I believe someone in this thread already patched the 9653. If not, let me know. The xmls job is to define the table addresses and format the data properly from the .bin or .srf file for us to read it and work with it. If the tables and addresses in the rom are not added to begin with, they won't show up.
Hi Ron,
I am unable to patch the 9653, i just pasted the xml file in relevant folder , it didnt work out.
Can anyone explain the process for 9653 or write a small precise write up ?
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Hi Ron,
I am unable to patch the 9653, i just pasted the xml file in relevant folder , it didnt work out.
Try using the IPS patcher tool if you have not done so already. That is where I found success. Orion4096 posted a readme with all the instructions you'll need in post #495 in this thread. Once you open the SW it asks for the location of the IPS patch itself and then the location of your tune (.bin/srf) file. It performs the patch right away.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 03:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
^ edit: Answered my own question. The mrfred/spoolin up active baro harness allows you to plug in the stock MAP sensor, which will act as the new barometric sensor, into the stock MAF harness so that it won't interfere with the ADC pin input for ethanol or map switch. It requires a special SD patch that has not ever been widely distributed.

@mrfred How are you good sir? Is this patch something that can be shared or does it still need development?
I've also spent some time searching for said patch to no avail. I have my fingers crossed it pops up!
Old Feb 1, 2023, 03:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by unkn0wn.
I've also spent some time searching for said patch to no avail. I have my fingers crossed it pops up!
Hoping that someone with it posts the active barometric adjustment patch here soon to help us out!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi Ron,
I patched my 9653 many years ago, I dont' remember the details of the process. I have attached the ROM here. Note that it is also patched with Mr. Freds wideband closed loop and the MAF scaling is for an Evo 1-3. Use at your own risk.
Attached Files
File Type: hex
patch mod 2 fic 1100cc.hex (256.0 KB, 0 views)
Old Mar 5, 2023, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Ron,
I've used the regular steps, and I've patched my 9653 speed density rom.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 05:01 PM

Folks,

In case you are having trouble with the patching part, here is an untuned Tephra V7 speed density rom for the evo IX (88591715-v7) that is already patched with the free fuel ips file. All you need in order to open this up and tune it are the existing tephra v7 xmls in your ECUflash rom metadata directory and the additional xml that I included below. I'll throw them all down here just in case you need em.

Your injector scalings will be slightly different once you enable the flexfuel behavior in this tune. Easily obtain them by using the formulas in ast's post (post #5)

Because in sections 1 and 2 you didn't adjust the maps with 0% and 100% ethanol content injector scalings must be corrected with the following formulas:
- gasoline: x = gas_scaling + gasoline_eth_content * (gas_scaling - eth_scaling) / (E85_ethanol_content - gasoline_eth_content)
- ethanol: x = eth_scaling - (100 - E85_ethanol_content) * (gas_scaling - eth_scaling) / (E85_ethanol_content - gasoline_eth_content)

So if gasoline ethanol content during the tune was 5% and E85 ethanol content was full 85% then the equations are:

- gasoline: x = gas_scaling + 5*(gas_scaling-eth_scaling)/80
- ethanol: x = eth_scaling - 15*(gas_scaling-eth_scaling)/80

Use at your own discretion, good luck, and Merry Christmas!
I'm kind of an idiot, I've read thru the entire thread and I'm still trying to figure out where to plug in that equation. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by AndyrewT
I'm kind of an idiot, I've read thru the entire thread and I'm still trying to figure out where to plug in that equation. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
If you are trying to tune your own car, you are far from an idiot.

These equations are used for you to determine your new fuel injector scaling when switching from a working dual map tune to a full flexfuel tune.

The principle is that since we are never actually at 0% ethanol and never at 100% ethanol, this formula provides us with an offset to get us closer to a min and max scaling that the new tune will use and interpolate on the fly based on the ethanol % detected by the flexfuel sensor. The equations themselves do not get plugged into the tune anywhere. Nor does it become part of evoscan for logging.

Instead you use them as follows:

Step 1. Find out the ethanol percentage of your local pump gas. Here in socal it's E11 on the flexfuel gauge or about 11% ethanol.

Step 2. Find out the ethanol percentage of your local E85. Here in socal it's around E82 or about 82% ethanol.

Step 3. Write down your injector scaling you are using for pump gas. For example, mine was 1329.

Step 4. Write down your injector scaling you currently using for your E85 tune. For example, mine as 975. Since E85 requires higher volume of fuel to run, we run a lower number in the injector scaling to trick the ecu into thinking you have a smaller injector. As a result it will flow more fuel.

Step 5. Use the formulas and solve rounding to the nearest whole number.

gasoline: x = gas_scaling + gasoline_eth_content * (gas_scaling - eth_scaling) / (E85_ethanol_content - gasoline_eth_content)
ethanol: x = eth_scaling - (100 - E85_ethanol_content) * (gas_scaling - eth_scaling) / (E85_ethanol_content - gasoline_eth_content)

Flexfuel pump gas injector scaling = 1329 + 11 * (1329 - 975)/(82-11)) ---> 1329 + (11 * (354/71)) = 1384
Flexfuel E85 injector scaling = 975 - (100-82) * (1329 - 975)/(82-11)) ---> 975 - (18 *(354/71)) = 885

Now we can take this data and plug it into the flexfuel tune. Make sure you tune using the flexfuel tuning portion (first area in the rom) and not the old injector scaling menus, fuel map, or timing map. Those will not work.

Good luck!
Old Mar 10, 2023, 11:43 AM

If you are trying to tune your own car, you are far from an idiot. These equations are used for you to determine your new fuel injector scaling when switching from a working dual map tune to a full flexfuel tune. The principle is that since we are never actually at 0% ethanol and never at 100% ethanol, this formula provides us with an offset to get us closer to a min and max scaling that the new tune will use and interpolate on the fly based on the ethanol % detected by the flexfuel sensor. The equations themselves do not get plugged into the tune anywhere. Nor does it become part of evoscan for logging. Instead you use them as follows: Step 1. Find out the ethanol percentage of your local pump gas. Here in socal it's E11 on the flexfuel gauge or about 11% ethanol. Step 2. Find out the ethanol percentage of your local E85. Here in socal it's around E82 or about 82% ethanol. Step 3. Write down your injector scaling you are using for pump gas. For example, mine was 1329. Step 4. Write down your injector scaling you currently using for your E85 tune. For example, mine as 975. Since E85 requires higher volume of fuel to run, we run a lower number in the injector scaling to trick the ecu into thinking you have a smaller injector. As a result it will flow more fuel. Step 5. Use the formulas and solve rounding to the nearest whole number. gasoline: x = gas_scaling + gasoline_eth_content * (gas_scaling - eth_scaling) / (E85_ethanol_content - gasoline_eth_content)ethanol: x = eth_scaling - (100 - E85_ethanol_content) * (gas_scaling - eth_scaling) / (E85_ethanol_content - gasoline_eth_content) Flexfuel pump gas injector scaling = 1329 + 11 * (1329 - 975)/(82-11)) ---> 1329 + (11 * (354/71)) = 1384Flexfuel E85 injector scaling = 975 - (100-82) * (1329 - 975)/(82-11)) ---> 975 - (18 *(354/71)) = 885 Now we can take this data and plug it into the flexfuel tune. Make sure you tune using the flexfuel tuning portion (first area in the rom) and not the old injector scaling menus, fuel map, or timing map. Those will not work.  Good luck!
That makes a lot more sense. Thank you, for the guidance and encouragement. This curve is a bit more steep than I had anticipated.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 09:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I patched the 88592715 Tephra V7 SpeedDensity 2.0 rom. I double checked my work to make sure nothing got overwritten in the rom, since the SD patch is different from the SD1.0 patch rom (88591715). After patching the SD2 rom, I compared it to the original rom and it only showed a change in the injector scaling values. Which is the expected result if you do the same comparison on the 88591715 SD1 rom.

So I am pretty confident its safe to use but use at your own risk. I haven't tested this out yet on my car.

Use the forumula in this post: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...l#post11150793

Basically you need to use the RAW values due to the increased resolution to get the correct values for your injector scaling.

I attached the rom again after I double checked everything. If you downloaded before I updated this post, please delete the files and use the updated files in this post.

I set the ECU ID to 8859F715 to correspond to the SD2 (27) ecuid by incremting by one. The XML files in the zip represent this. That way if you have a SD1 rom, with FF already you can continue to load it, so you can transfer tables.
Attached Files

Last edited by ASEvoIXSE; May 3, 2023 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Removed the note about the request ID. Use requestID 83 for the ethanaol content and use the formula x*100/255
The following 3 users liked this post by ASEvoIXSE:
10isace (Apr 7, 2023), Construct (Apr 8, 2023), Pal215 (Apr 10, 2023)
Old Apr 8, 2023, 05:13 PM

Hoping that someone with it posts the active barometric adjustment patch here soon to help us out!
Look at this post, download the rom read the notes about it with the smaller 3D VE tables, i think the patch exists in the ver2 of the rom contained in this zip. It also includes DMA with SD2.

You probably can get the assembly code for the SD Baro ADC block and then create a standalone patch if so desired. Either way this might be a solution. I will see if i can patch in the flexfuel patch.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...l#post11641135

Copy all the XML's to your ecuflash metadata folder. Then load the roms.

ver2 (88586714-TephraMod_ver2) includes SD2 with smaller 3D VE table to allow DMA to be patched in.

The non ver2 rom (88582714-TephraMod) has just the SD Bar ADFC and DMA patch, no SD2.

That rom is the 8858 one and its TephraMod is in different address spaces, also significant amount of the tables have different names its definition files. So it makes it much harder to transfer your tune.

Additionally a new custom FF patch needs to be made in assembly to account for the address changes in the Alternate Maps and Wastegate addresses. Basically it would take a bit of work...

Someone like Orion or ast would need to take a stab at it, i will give it a shot, but I also don't know how usable this rom is as its not as widely used. Based on the port it looks to be a custom work, unless someone knows where the latest version is available.

I would love to have DMA to livetune/read the data from the maps, but looks like the SD2.0 3D VE table would need to be adjusted per the post linked. Either way i think this is much more effort than I expected.

Last edited by ASEvoIXSE; Apr 8, 2023 at 10:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pal215 (Apr 9, 2023)
Old Apr 9, 2023, 10:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ASEvoIXSE
Look at this post, download the rom read the notes about it with the smaller 3D VE tables, i think the patch exists in the ver2 of the rom contained in this zip. It also includes DMA with SD2.

You probably can get the assembly code for the SD Baro ADC block and then create a standalone patch if so desired. Either way this might be a solution. I will see if i can patch in the flexfuel patch.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...l#post11641135

Copy all the XML's to your ecuflash metadata folder. Then load the roms.

ver2 (88586714-TephraMod_ver2) includes SD2 with smaller 3D VE table to allow DMA to be patched in.

The non ver2 rom (88582714-TephraMod) has just the SD Bar ADFC and DMA patch, no SD2.

That rom is the 8858 one and its TephraMod is in different address spaces, also significant amount of the tables have different names its definition files. So it makes it much harder to transfer your tune.

Additionally a new custom FF patch needs to be made in assembly to account for the address changes in the Alternate Maps and Wastegate addresses. Basically it would take a bit of work...

Someone like Orion or ast would need to take a stab at it, i will give it a shot, but I also don't know how usable this rom is as its not as widely used. Based on the port it looks to be a custom work, unless someone knows where the latest version is available.

I would love to have DMA to livetune/read the data from the maps, but looks like the SD2.0 3D VE table would need to be adjusted per the post linked. Either way i think this is much more effort than I expected.
I've gotta say, this is the most help we've seen about the patch since the question was asked. Thanks ASEvoIXSE, this points us in the right direction in terms of what needs to be done next.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 04:42 PM

I've gotta say, this is the most help we've seen about the patch since the question was asked. Thanks ASEvoIXSE, this points us in the right direction in terms of what needs to be done next.
Happy to help, came across that when looking for a solution to my cold start SD idle leaning out and stalling. Not sure why but on cold start the car struggles to idle and leans out heavy then goes pig rich until its got a bit of engine temp in.

Also you might want to double check your math for the injector scaling, see post: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...l#post11150793

Looks like the RAW values need to be used to get the correct scaling values, using your formula i got 973 for gas and 701 for ethanol, using the formula in the post above gave me 982 and 713 respectively
The following 2 users liked this post by ASEvoIXSE:
NP (Apr 14, 2023), Pal215 (Apr 12, 2023)

Quick Reply: FreeFuel ECU patch - a flex fuel implementation to Evo ECU