Notices
ECU Flash

What a difference....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2007, 05:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I have found most of the IX's dont like a large amount of timing up top like VIII's or even older DSM's will. The cammed ones like even less it seems above 6K than stock cams. The funny thing about that is they will take a little more near peak torque but trade it at high rpm. I always thought it would accept more at both but I cant deny the logs I am getting.

That's kinda what I had observed from all the posts too. And my IX doesn't seem to like more than about 11 deg at 7k rpm.

Hey nj, if you are tuning in 3rd gear, you might want to do at least one run in 4th gear once in a while if you can find a place. You may find that you are getting more knock in 4th gear where the cylinder temps can build up more.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
That's kinda what I had observed from all the posts too. And my IX doesn't seem to like more than about 11 deg at 7k rpm.

Hey nj, if you are tuning in 3rd gear, you might want to do at least one run in 4th gear once in a while if you can find a place. You may find that you are getting more knock in 4th gear where the cylinder temps can build up more.
I think I am going to pull one more degree from 6K on. This way I will peak the timing @ 12 by 7-7.5K rpm. I can tell by the 1-2 count that I am on the verge of knock.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Fred has a real point. I road tune using consecutive pulls ~3 in 3rd gear and finish with a 2k-6K pull in 4th ( 6 spd MR ) This give the car a chance to get to stable temps and get as hot as it is going to get. I usually do the runs one way on the section of road I use then duplicate the reverse route.

I too tune for not more than 2 counts, if I see three I take 1 degree out at that range/cell. Car seems very happy.

Quick question is the lean spool only on the IX or does it show up in the modified VIII rom . And it appears you guys then move the lean spool disable to 7500?

Naj: could you do a screen capture of just those tables and pm me ?

Thanks OH BTW glad to see you got your pills. Those folks are gonna be happy!

Milburn
Old Jun 7, 2007, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

I wonder if the anyone can explain this to me. Yesterday I logged with the stock mivec map. Today I logged with the JDM RS mivec map. I barely made any changes to the AFR map.

Yet the logs today show a 0.25 point leaner AFR than yesterday. Is that due to the aggressive mivec map of the JDM RS? Why would this happen?

Here is the chart the top one is before and the one below it is the after (mivec).

Attached Thumbnails What a difference....-my9_afr_mivec.gif  
Old Jun 8, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

I reconfirmed my findings today about aggressive mivec making the AFR slightly leaner. I did three logs with the JDM RS map and got the same leaner results that I got before.

If you do not want to retune your AFR multiple times, it is adviseable to start the tuning sequence with the JDM RS map first.

Kudos to TTP for suggesting that in a different thread.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

I just want to share my latest data on test pipes. I always wanted to confirm for myself how much power can be gained from a test pipe. So I installed one did a few logs to tune the AFR due to an exhaust leak and today I logged the car. My car gained 13 hp and 6 lbft of torque from the test pipe. These findings are in line with the ~ 10 hp gain reported by others.

Here is the dyno chart of my best run with the HFC and the best run with a TP:

The car is now putting down 34 hp and 17 lbft of torque more than stock simply using a TBE w/tp, leaner AFR, lower timing @ the top end and more timing at the low end and an ggressive mivec map that I found in the mivec thread. I have not even touched the boost yet and I am thinking just to leave it alone even though I produced the pills to do just that

Stock vs. most recent tune with TP

Attached Thumbnails What a difference....-my9_hfc_tp.gif   What a difference....-my9_tbe_tune2.gif  
Old Jun 23, 2007, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice comparison.. CAr is safe and you've got a fair bit more under the hood. I'd just drive her for awhile before revisiting the tune. :=)

Milburn
Old Jun 23, 2007, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wrcwannabe
Nice comparison.. CAr is safe and you've got a fair bit more under the hood. I'd just drive her for awhile before revisiting the tune. :=)

Milburn
I am really impressed with the 9. I can run a lean mixture that I could not run on my 05 8. I am running an average of 11.5:1 AFR on 91 octane with hardly any knock. The cylinder head on this car must have been the ticket to keep knock at bay.

More than likely I will drive the car w/o messing with the boost. I ordered an ebay filter that was recommended by Bryan. I want to test it and see the results. My aim is to maximize the power out of the car w/o changing the boost. I want to see how far I can take the car with simple, good quality and relatively cheap mods.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 02:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
John, Please explain the the baro change to the map you mentioned. Are you referring to the 7000 rpm row on the baro comp map thats on evo 8's too?

Thanks

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Jun 24, 2007 at 02:35 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 06:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nj1266

Here is the dyno chart of my best run with the HFC and the best run with a TP:

Can you post the log for this run with the TP? Trying to get examples where I can compare to other HP/TQ calculators.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Can you post the log for this run with the TP? Trying to get examples where I can compare to other HP/TQ calculators.
Here it is. Please post the results you get from running the log in your hp/tq calculator.
Attached Files
Old Jun 24, 2007, 08:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Yep, I'll post it. Can you post the "stock" log also? And what is your target load for both runs?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm able to run 14 deg of timing at 6750RPM with 11.1 AFR, 2ByteLoad 225, and no knock

Also running 5 deg from 3300RPM to 4300RPM, 11.9 to 11.5 AFR, Load from 255 to 230, no knock

Last edited by recompile; Jun 24, 2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, I'll post it. Can you post the "stock" log also? And what is your target load for both runs?
Here is the stock log, when the car was totally stock. It is a better comaprison than the before after of the chart you quoted. No TBE, no tune, no nothing. It should be a good before and after comparo between DLL and your hp/tq calculator. If you want others, I will post them too.

I had no target load, just what the 2byte load recorded.
Attached Files
Old Jun 24, 2007, 09:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nj1266
Here is the stock log, when the car was totally stock. It is a better comaprison than the before after of the chart you quoted. No TBE, no tune, no nothing. It should be a good before and after comparo between DLL and your hp/tq calculator. If you want others, I will post them too.

I had no target load, just what the 2byte load recorded.
The target load is whatever you have programmed in the ROM (BDEL + offset). Can you look it up in your ROM?

Quick Reply: What a difference....