Notices
ECU Flash

some general noob question on EcuFlash

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2008, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some general noob question on EcuFlash

Hallo,

first of all, i'am sorry to ask some maybe stupid questions. I've read some threads here but not everything, so if i missed something, don't hit me please :-)

i've tuned a lot of car's before in my tuning career, so tuning principles in general i'am familiar with but i've never tuned Evo's before. Now i'am starting a project together on a friends evo and i take part of the electronic stuff and i want to make as much things clear before testing because the car is around 500miles away from me so i have a long travel to my friend.

i decided to try EcuFlash with the tactrix cable and maybe Mistulogger or if everything works well maybe EvoScan later but i first want to bring everything to work with less money as possible.

the car is a EDM Evo8

i've played around some with the EcuFlash and it's a nice program as i can see. But here are my (currently) open questions i hope someone can help me with:

- How much boost is the stock MAF sensor from an EDM Evo8 capable off? or in other words, when will i reach the limit of the load columns?

- Is the 260 load column the maximum of the stock maf sensor already? i've seen a thread where someone streched it to 300... so i guess this is with the stock sensor too? how far can you go on the stock sensor then?

- what are load units?!? (i.e. in the MAF scaling map)

- Is there a way to control / raise the boost of a stock Evo8 with EcuFlash? (do i need a patch (i've seen something but without trying it on a real car it's a bit abstract) for this or are there just some stock tables to be changed?)

- how can i tune (force the ecu to use either) the high or low octane maps? is there a map which controls the knock amount for the switchover between these two maps? or how do tuners tune each map seperatly?

so far that's my questions... i'am sure that they are not the last but i would be very glad if someone can help me or point me to the correct thread if i have missed it.

Thanks very much in advance...
Best regards

Last edited by mrx79; May 30, 2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 30, 2008, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ECUFlash for beginners (not saying you are just a good write up)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=201146

How to Rescale load axis.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=211022

ECU based boost control.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=293981

How to tune an Evo

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=302895

there are all kinds of resources on here if you go to the right area check out the ECUFlash area of Evo engine management/tuning forum on here. Hope this helps

Josh
Old May 30, 2008, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The stock MAF can handle a bit ... there are 550+ hp cars using the stock MAF and ECUFlash.

The load columns in ECUFlash and the MAF sensor are independent of each other. You can easily re-scale the load values from 260 up to whatever value you'll need really. Just select one of the load values in the table and change it ... it's that simple.

I'm honestly not sure what load units are, but some of the tables in ECUFlash have odd scalings associated that may not actually be correct. For the MAF Scaling table, the left column is the airflow (divide by ten for approximate hz) and the right column is an offset to the logged value from the MAF.

You can only lower boost unless you make mechanical modification to the system ... boost controller, pill, ETC.

Generally, the ECU begins to interpolate the low octane maps after 6 counts of knock ... you'll see the logged "Octane" value drop when this happens. If octane stays at 100 you are 100% in the high octane maps. Before this ever happens though, the ECU will try to correct for lower knock counts by dynamically pulling timing when knock occurs. If you tune well, you shouldn't see the octane value drop.

Good tuners leave the low octane maps tuned safely in case something happens ... like your friend putting in 87 or something. You can tune the low and high maps the same and always have the ideal values ... but you might end up with an ideally blown engine too.

That's it for me and look over those links posted above. Lots of good info there.
Old May 31, 2008, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

thank you so far for the answers... they helped a bit and i get a clearer picture of whats going on inside the ecu.

when you say: Stay conservative with the LowOctane map - thats clear, but if there is no force switch how i can force the ecu to use low octane map's with no knock i have to guess i.e. fuel values right?

whe AFR values inside the fuel tables, i guess these are calculated values from the air mass and the injector open behaviour right?! or did the evo has closed loop wideband control to reach the AFR value in the map in any case?

if the value is calculated (or better the injector open time is calculated from the AFR setpoint from the table in combination with the injector behaviour) i have to make sure that in case of bigger injectors i have to set the injector dead time and multiplier correctly so that the fuel calculation stays correct and i get a 11:1 AFR when i programm a 11:1 AFR - is this correct? i hope you understand what i'am thinking of... this get's realy important when it comes to change map's without the ability to recheck them easily.

Best regards
Old May 31, 2008, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the low octane maps are supposed to be for the ecu to use when the car is having a hard time with knock. I think that is the idea.

If you want to be able to choose a fuel or ignition map, such as for different fuel or higher boost, there is a map switching download available for a donation. With this feature you can choose the map you want at the time you want. Check out the threads with V 5 in the header. It has migrated so there may be several.

The fuel map / injector scale as developed by Mitsu. does not read one to one, afr to the map. You are best served thinking the fuel map numbers are not indicative of anything multiply/divide them just as you would on a regular V map.

You can "play" with your injector scaling and get fairly close to actual afr numbers so that the fuel map would equal the real life afr number, BUT being close and being exactly are two different things. Plus, the correctness begins to vary from one end of the map to the other.

Looking at the fuel map, the numbers below 100 (plus or minus a bit) are numbers normally used in closed loop, you could make them bizarre figures without effect.
If you change closed loop operation, say make the ecu work out of open loop all the time/ part of the time, whatever, then those numbers below 100 load in the fuel map become operational. And thus you can make the car cruise/ idle at the afr you tune to. Again, not a number (afr) you post in the map, but a representative number that may be somewhat similar.