Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
How to tune 800whp

aaron
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love this forum. Ths is great topic Aaron !
PS. did You forgot about email to me

Last edited by TJung; Dec 14, 2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
390 load!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Load is what it is based on MAP values instead of MAF values. If this car were on a MAF the load would be higher than I can guess. I would presume Mellon can answer the load at 38psi on the 2.3 he has?

aaron
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This goes to show just give the car what it wants. Peak torque and the lowest point of timing are different. I thought that at peak torque you generally have the lowest timing...

I learn tons from your posts. Thank you for sharing.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Load is what it is based on MAP values instead of MAF values. If this car were on a MAF the load would be higher than I can guess. I would presume Mellon can answer the load at 38psi on the 2.3 he has?

aaron
Mellon never had a 2.3 i do though, and i seen over 500 LOAD with no maf screen.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8583246-post111.html lots of good info through that entire thread because I retuned my car and picked up 100wtq /50whp more from charlies tune if not more. then another 50 after the 3.8" garrett core. so 100wtq+ and 100whp+ more then dyno tune.

was the final at 40psi.

heres log of load;

was probably hitting around 530. didnt have the 1byte load setting set properly to read past 500 load.

I plan on beating mellons maf mph record when i take my car to the track hopefully. I will take it there with 42-45psi.

also heres proof for you aaron so you dont think i just modified charlies tune: http://oi52.tinypic.com/13z4r3k.jpg (this is the dyno tune aka charlies)
I started scratch from my own maps that i had prior to even going there.
as you can see NOTHING similar at all. not afr not timing.. nothing.

i think now ill make 680 once i push the car, which is pretty good to me for a simple 2.3 and black setup.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Dec 14, 2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 03:44 PM
Former Sponsor

also what injectors did you have at 85% idc? were those 2150's? also how much torque did your setup have? im sure it took more then 2* at the peak boost? i found mine to make max torque at 4* with high boost.

how often does your car run e85 in it? and how hard is your car to control on e85? im just curious how 800whp feels like on a public road from someone that is used to the car?

also i redid my crankcase ventilation setup, similar to what you do.. i drilled out the side port tapped it with 5/8 ....... did you pick up any HP from any of that that you noticed?

thanks aaron.

Tom
Old Dec 14, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
why did you let the 1 and the 2 knock count at ~*6000rpm
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Knock under 3 can be ignored as long as it is constant. also I believe hes on e85 so the knock may be phantom.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo
Knock under 3 can be ignored as long as it is constant. also I believe hes on e85 so the knock may be phantom.
e85 does and can knock, but the knock occurring on his logs is most likely not real knock considering where its happening and the timing in that area he has. better to have the knock sensor reading something then nothing. my car shows 1 count every now and then on e85. mostly caused by my head/valvetrain noise/ cams etc.

but yes e85 will knock if your tunes that off. but real knock on e85 usually shows 4-5 counts not 1-2. plus he dyno tuned that car so he knows what it wants and what it dont.

what you said - knock under 3 counts can be ignored? no i dont agree with that.. if its consistent knock occurring at the same rpm each time its most likely real. ive had cars with this and i fixed it by reducing timing at spoolup and other ways.

most cars that phantom knock u can rev in neutral to like 7k and it will knock like crazy. so just tweak the sensor by reving in neutral to 7k until its gone granted timing/fuel check out.

if aaron were to put that 800whp car on a maf gutted like my car and didnt rescale the maf like i didnt it would probably be in the 620-650's id bet. there is a hell of alot of airflow required to make 800whp on our little motors.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
also what injectors did you have at 85% idc? were those 2150's? also how much torque did your setup have? im sure it took more then 2* at the peak boost? i found mine to make max torque at 4* with high boost.

how often does your car run e85 in it? and how hard is your car to control on e85? im just curious how 800whp feels like on a public road from someone that is used to the car?

also i redid my crankcase ventilation setup, similar to what you do.. i drilled out the side port tapped it with 5/8 ....... did you pick up any HP from any of that that you noticed?

thanks aaron.

Tom
Tom,

2150s and the Magnafuel 625 pro tuner fuel pump with -8 feed for fuel system. That is the run where the car peaked at 561 ft lbs. The timing is low to keep traction with the 265 street tires that are on the car. It has been on E85 after the tank of gasoline burned out that was in it when I broke it in and took it to the dyno back in may. I put it back on gasoline here recently when it was getting cold but the NW is up and down on temps so it will probably go back to E85 and I'll worry about the starting when it gets cold again. This is E85 from the pump, not mixed by the way.

My car is ridiculous at pretty much anything over 26psi. It makes 657/477 then and will haze the tires pretty good in 1-2 and then hook 3rd nice, I normally run 30 (700-718). I took the car out at 32psi right before thanksgiving on E85 to see what it does and at that boost level it makes 750whp. I had nothing really until the top of 3rd but it was lots of fun. The car is controllable as long as you are prepared and modulate the throttle.

Originally Posted by domyz
why did you let the 1 and the 2 knock count at ~*6000rpm
That is turbo noise, notice peak boost. Taking the timing out didnt do anything but drop power (knock voltage was the same). I made 4 pulls at 794 with this so it wasnt a fluke and I wanted to make sure the tune was okay. i have Kiggly valvesprings and custom cams that generate valve noise, the motor is loose, the turbo is loud, the echo from the dump makes a big difference on the dyno, etc. Key word is experience, knowing that it was okay to ignore in this case despite what was happening powerwise.

Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo
I still try to shoot for zero, and only allow inconsistent knock, nothing that is easily repeated stays in the car as thats past the threshold.

Gen-

This post was to show whats happening in the motor, length of pull, etc. but its obvious it doesnt help past that. Tuning is still about experience and feel to a degree and knowing what all the numbers posted at the outset really mean. Anyone can plug these numbers into a car but it doesnt mean its going to work or last. I had said there werent going to be any logs after it made 708, but I got bored and thought it might be interesting to have a mid winter discussion about making high horsepower. Not showing off, just hoping others that have made the same power are willing to show what they do or at least comment on their approach.

I can post Mikeys later to show what a 10.5:1 compression 2.4/Black car at 38psi likes as well.

aaron
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Tom,

2150s and the Magnafuel 625 pro tuner fuel pump with -8 feed for fuel system. That is the run where the car peaked at 561 ft lbs. The timing is low to keep traction with the 265 street tires that are on the car. It has been on E85 after the tank of gasoline burned out that was in it when I broke it in and took it to the dyno back in may. I put it back on gasoline here recently when it was getting cold but the NW is up and down on temps so it will probably go back to E85 and I'll worry about the starting when it gets cold again. This is E85 from the pump, not mixed by the way.

aaron
LOL. 85% on these huge injectors thats so crazy. just the fact you're over 30% more then i was at that time scares me to even get a ride in your car. your car must feel like a torpedo from hell.

i respect you alot on here the most out of all the tuners, because you actually share all your knowledge rather then keep it secret.

some things have to be kept secret tho for a bit of course.

you give a hell of alot of info to the community tho and i salute you for that.

btw i didnt know mikeys car was 10.5:1 ???????? damn. id be interested in seeing his timing. i remember you told me he ran quite a bit uptop.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome stuff Aaron! Thanks again.

Whats your take on knock voltage, do you watch that more than knock sum to confirm phantom?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry I meant, knock under 3 counts can be ignored as long as it ISN'T constant.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Benja
Awesome stuff Aaron! Thanks again.

Whats your take on knock voltage, do you watch that more than knock sum to confirm phantom?
I use both equally, I know where I should be at a given level and do timing sweeps. Its a combination juggling act based on experience. Anything high up is plug chop, plug reading, and watching the voltage. As I said earlier valvetrain, engine clearances, etc. all make even the voltage a guessing game at times.

Aaron

Quick Reply: How to tune 800whp