Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Mellon Tuning stock EVO 8 turbo vs BBK Full vs FP HTA Green 93 octane

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets get Eric's personal review on these two turbos. I would love to hear his input as to how they feel different.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eric had eye surgery recently so fine print is a pain in the *** right now. I told him about the thread so I'm sure he'll chime in when he's feeling up to it.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was thinking the same thing... I'm not an experienced tuner or mechanic but I've heard of this from hanging around a bunch of people who are and worked on the 'ol MR2's 4AGZE's...
Originally Posted by leecavturbo
chris have you ever had what we call valve float?
we mean as in not due to high rpm or aggressive cam profile but
because of tired/weak valve springs being overcome by boost.
a few ppl have had this here and either upgraded them or fitted doubles etc and
power was improved.
the symptons are not making any more power over a certain boost and lower than expected outputs for the spec when all mechanically/electrically seems sound.
mostly at 2bar+ boost
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:04 AM

Hi Chris,
What spec was the HTA Green you tested? (several options available)
We are just about to look at the HTA Green also, and are encouraged by some great results we have got with the rest of the HTA series turbos.
Pic shows old style Green & the Green HTA:

Old Sep 24, 2009, 02:45 AM
Evolved Member

This is basically in line with my findings over the past years. The most efficient combo is the very basics on the stock turbo - cams, tbe, licp, filter.

The BBK run says that the changes were higher boost, test pipe (what was there before?), 02 housing, ported manifold and SBR 3.5" FMIC, PTE 1000cc injectors. Not sure what the temp difference was, but it seems like not much gains from that many parts. Actually similar to my findings (around 15hp gain with BBK and perrin intake on 10F hotter weather and 1 point lower octane).

What was the temp difference between the BBK run and the HTA Green run?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting comparison. Even though there were other variables (porting etc.). I chose the HTA due to it being $200 cheaper with my IX core. On paper the HTA flows more than the BBK, so it "should" make more power. But I would love to see a comparison where just the BBK and HTA were swapped. But I'm sure those PRO BBK people will cling onto those "variables".
Old Sep 24, 2009, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross W
Hi Chris,
We are just about to look at the HTA Green also, and are encouraged by some great results we have got with the rest of the HTA series turbos.

Ross, this car is running the new one on right side of picture. I think the old one is being discontinued.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
I spoke to FP this week (Aniel ??) and according to them beyond 30 psi is out of the efficiency range of the HTA Green. FP recommends 28 psi on e85, race gas, or pump + meth for the HTA Green.
Hmm. That is surprising if so. The red is happy to 4.5 pressure ratios which is upper 30s boost.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ianm12
You can go out of the efficiency range but it might wear it out faster if it has to overspin.
Sure you can, but at that point you are blowing hot air ....
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Hmm. That is surprising if so. The red is happy to 4.5 pressure ratios which is upper 30s boost.
To be clear , I was not commenting on the Red, I was commenting on the recommended boost levels for the HTA Green (according to FP)....
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mellon, I know you said you didn't log boost, but you mentioned 30 psi. Was this just the peak boost or was this held to redline? I'm assuming the former with some taper? If so, what was the boost at redline?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:27 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Ross W
Hi Chris,

Eric will have to chime in on that, I'm not exactly sure which spec of the new HTA Green he has.

Originally Posted by Bosshog
This is basically in line with my findings over the past years. The most efficient combo is the very basics on the stock turbo - cams, tbe, licp, filter.

The BBK run says that the changes were higher boost, test pipe (what was there before?), 02 housing, ported manifold and SBR 3.5" FMIC, PTE 1000cc injectors. Not sure what the temp difference was, but it seems like not much gains from that many parts. Actually similar to my findings (around 15hp gain with BBK and perrin intake on 10F hotter weather and 1 point lower octane).

What was the temp difference between the BBK run and the HTA Green run?
I don't know, the BBK was tuned a while back and the temp wasn't recorded

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Mellon, I know you said you didn't log boost, but you mentioned 30 psi. Was this just the peak boost or was this held to redline? I'm assuming the former with some taper? If so, what was the boost at redline?
yes, 30psi was the peak, I'm not sure what it fell to
Old Sep 24, 2009, 09:03 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Gah, I was busy last night and didn't see this until today. Thanks for the data mellon! I have suspected this all along but it looks like performance of the the HTA Green is very very similar to the BBK. There has been endless speculation about this, but ultimately the HTA Green is slightly bigger (if I'm not mistaken) so I have no idea why people were expecting it to magically be insanely more responsive yet still produce more top-end power. Perhaps the shrouded compressor cover offsets the extra performance potential and evens out the potential difference between these two turbos.

This is only one car, but honestly the gains between the BBK graph and the HTA Green graph really are nearly identical to what I saw when I did a ported head on my car, with the BBK on the car. I can posts graphs supporting this but would rather not do it here, don't wanna go too far off topic.

With that said, the HTA Green looks like a fantastic turbo. I would even be willing to bet that at full-tilt it would edge out the BBK way up top(7000rpm+). Thx for sharing mellon! I can't wait to see more results from this turbo!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 09:06 AM
Account Disabled

I'm going to MOD (mitsu owners day) this weekend and if my customer gets his HTA Green installed in time we'll get some more data. He's on e85 but has a stock shorty so we won't be able to see it's full potential just yet I'm afraid.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 09:11 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
That's cool, you should be able to get some good info out of it though as long as you keep boost/timing in perspective to other builds.

Curious to get feedback on responsiveness, drivability of the hta green compared to the bbk? Also, does the hta green have the same dying squirrel howl that the red does at light throttle (as you pass from vacuum into 0-1-2psi)?

Quick Reply: Mellon Tuning stock EVO 8 turbo vs BBK Full vs FP HTA Green 93 octane