Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

The Ultimate Pump Gas Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Damn that a sick *** powerband.

Great data, really interesting to see all that information. What are the standard conditions used on your "corrected airflow" data?

Based on the turbo speed and airflow, it looks like the turbo is maxed out around 55 pounds/min? Very impressive considering it's breaking 300ft-lbs around 3000 RPM.

What MAF sensor are you using?
"Corrected Mass Airflow" is ACTUAL measured mass flow, not volume flow corrected for temp and pressure to a std. It is an 85mm lab calibrated MAF. If you notice it peaks above 56 lb/min, we advertise the turbo to flow 54 lb/min, this equates to 'normal' underhood inlet temps most of you will encounter in the summer. You may also notice the actual air temp at the compressor inlet is shown, this is very important as the compressor is a bit of a ratiometric device, the denser the air at the inlet the more mass flow you get per shaft RPM. Cold air= more mass flow.

Last edited by GrocMax; Apr 2, 2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance
More Trq in the midrange, the turbo is designed to run up to 155krpm or so, running past that is operating outside its intended range, but possible. So if you bring it up to 155krpm in the midrange you can fill all that in with trq and run 35+ in the middle if ya want, but this is 93 octane so ill advised
im very impressed with these stock based turbos. you guys make it very hard for me to switch to aftermarket. my evo is a daily right now as well so i dont want to go any bigger than a 6262 if i did go aftermarket. how is the top end pull of these turbos?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
How are you controlling boost? has to be more than just a manual controller. My initial tuning at 27psi with my evoX version of this turbo on my evo 1 was resulting in a mean 35psi spike with manual boost controller. sure would like to see a steady boost curve like you have.

thanks for posting that log. some very use full info in there.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
How are you controlling boost? has to be more than just a manual controller. My initial tuning at 27psi with my evoX version of this turbo on my evo 1 was resulting in a mean 35psi spike with manual boost controller. sure would like to see a steady boost curve like you have.

thanks for posting that log. some very use full info in there.
Boost control is via ECU, PID loop with MAP as the controlled channel, Profec B solenoid. Boost pressure was tapered off to 25 PSIg up top on purpose, as overspeeding the compressor always results in less power due to the very large increase in turbine pressure. The ratio of turbine abs pressure to comp outlet abs pressure never exceeds 1.25:1 on this turbo if you keep the shaft speed where it should be.

If you get a huge spike in a manual controller my guess is you have a large pressure drop from comp outlet to intake and are using intake as boost control pressure source, the bleed hole in the boost controller is too large (or possible sticking valve), the WG is preloaded too much, or a combo of all or part of the above. Might try switching to a comp outlet pressure source and see if it eliminates the spike.

Last edited by GrocMax; Apr 2, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
i always take the boost source pre intercooler. learned that log time ago. The boost controller is old style hallman. it may have a pretty good size bleed hole. The actuator is custom holset. chosen because it has 50% more travel than most. allowing flapper to swing farther open . i also gently round the corners on wastegate hole which also improves flow and reduces spike. i have been fighting graduating to electronic control but it seems apparent it is going to be worth it.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW. That's very impressive.

I know I couldn't realistically expect you to do this anytime soon, but I'd like to see the identical setup, except on a 2.0l, then 2.0 on E85. Normally, the usual customer car on the same dyno would suffice, but this car has quite a few things that bumps just out of the average simple DD setup, most notably the MoTec.

However, I DO think it would be easy for you to show us the current setup on E85. Any chance?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Eyeballing the chart, it looks like you are closer to 58 lb/min. And that's at 84F compressor inlet temps as well. Very impressive. I love when you guys post all of the data like this. I'm a data junkie...that's where it's at...no bs, just solid data.

Very impressive.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unbelievable power and spool on pump gas !! Great ! Most of the BBk, FP red, other hta greens tuning can achieved that power on E85 :O

Like your Spool can see lot of torque soon, it is for the FP 4 r cams or why ? This car spool up 200-300rpm faster than other .
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VGergo
unbelievable power and spool on pump gas !! Great ! Most of the BBk, FP red, other hta greens tuning can achieved that power on E85 :O

Like your Spool can see lot of torque soon, it is for the FP 4 r cams or why ? This car spool up 200-300rpm faster than other .
2.3 stroker
Old Apr 3, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by VGergo

Bigger motors really make alot more power on straight pumpgas since they are using more airflow for a given boost level.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

If you run it out to the end of the compressor map (which we all do) peak power will remain the same, what happens before and after peak will change wit ha different engine configuration. Boost pressure doesn't equal power, it is a measurement of engine airflow restriction. Airflow is more directly related to power. The difference between a 88mm stroke and a 100mm stroke engine can be seen by changing the RPM axis into mean piston speed, then configuring as RPM for each stroke.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ I think this is more or less true for non knock limited fuels no?? I mean on a 2.3L you will reach a given airflow at lower boost, which will allow you to run closer to mbt.

For example, on a 2.0L, to achieve the same airflow you would have to run more boost, which in turn will result in lower timing on knock limited fuels. This won't be a problem on e85 or c16 though, as you will hit your mbt regardless of the boost.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 01:43 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome street/pump gas setup! Torques hit strong and early and makes decent power past 7k. Turbos like this are what most people looking for an upgrade from their stocker should look at. If you're not dragging the car there's no point in going bigger than this. Fantastic fun!
Old Apr 4, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Pumpgas pumpgas or E85?
Old Apr 4, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jk's03EVO
Pumpgas pumpgas or E85?
He stated straight Mobil 93 octane pump gasoline in post #1.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Pump Gas Turbo.